Skip to content

AI Scripting for NWN

nwfan87nwfan87 Member Posts: 99
This is not a post for political discussion or debate about AI please, just a simple question

Does anyone use AI to write their scripts for NWN EE? Maybe you use an external script editor? With the new update to NWN that allows for external script editors, AI written scriptwork for NWW could be just around the corner. Imagine all the time saved, no more entire evenings writing one script, then finding you used the wrong tag :)

Comments

• ForSeriousForSerious Member Posts: 446
    I doubt anyone's going to take the time to train an AI model on NWN script. Mostly because it's so specific to the game. It would take a unique angel to even make training data.

The thing I think would help the most is an easier way to use a version control system on NWN scripts.
  • meaglynmeaglyn Member Posts: 149
    Someone over on the vault tried it on chatgpt. The results, while they looked sort of like nwscript, were non-functional and pretty useless.

I'm not sure what the external script editor has to do with it or how it somehow helps enable AI scripting. You've always been able to write scripts in an external editor.

Also, the AI won't know the right tag unless you tell it so if you got it wrong you'd probably still get it wrong with the AI :)
  • ProlericProleric Member Posts: 1,283
    The full thread is instructive.

Worth reading right down to the punchline.

It bears out @ForSerious 's point - AI may have learned a lot about C++ from general sources, but would require in-depth training in the nuances of NWScript to be of any use.
  • nwfan87nwfan87 Member Posts: 99
    @ForSerious @meaglyn @Proleric , Some interesting experiments there. It sounds very possible to train an AI model to write NWN scripts, perhaps using Machine Learning and using the already very large source of scripts that already exist for NWN. Probably would take a while to reach a stable model, but the end product might be worth it. Might, because the pool of serious NWN module builders probably isn't many and the ones that do, will want to script manually anyway.
  • HaddoxHaddox Member Posts: 6
    Been building and scripting my first "Serious" module after 10 years of making modules for my own entertainment.

I've used ChatGPT 3.5 as an alternative way to check my scripts for errors and syntax problems. I also had it go through the entire Gestalt Cutscene Scripting System PDF to have it check my scripts when I'm using those functions as well.

It's a good addition for troubleshooting and just as a ball-plank but it makes up non-existing functions sometimes which makes it a poor source for actual scripting I guess.

Say you want to add something to a lot of already-existing code and you're unsure where to put it or how to format everything, boom, AI does that great most of the time.

Combined with LilacSoul's scripter and some patience I've managed to get a lot of work done(as a total noob who's never written my own scripts until starting on this module).

It's great for explaining to dummies like me as well hehe.

In other words great addition atm but not to be trusted.