Skip to content

SCS: AC too high? (or should I say too low?)

AsaBMAsaBM Member Posts: 84
Alright, so I just started a new run with Sword Coast Stratagems, playing on "tactical" difficulty because it seemed like a good balance (and used the Core Rules icon, which is my difficulty of choice for vanilla). I'm liking the slight increase to strategic gameplay, but I've noticed a few bad guys now are, like...really hard to hit. Like I'm fighting NIMBUL in Nashkel and Khalid is missing on a natural 18. That was the one that really made me suspicious, since the previous ones (forgot their names but a couple other assassins) were all heavily armored, I was just like "damn, I forgot how hard it is to hit AC 0 at low levels!"

But yeah, this guy's AC 5 according to the wiki. He's got stoneskin and mirror image, but anything that chips away at that should still register in the log as a hit I think.

Is this supposed to happen? Did I screw up my install somehow? I do have some other mods installed, but nothing that should impact combat.

Comments

• ChitownWillieChitownWillie Member Posts: 12
    Nimbul is usually not a problem because most characters are level 3 by the time the mines are finished.

I have more of a bone to pick with SCS's "Improved Kobold" component, which adds Kobold Commandos, Guards, Shamans and Captains to the mine. The Commandos hit like level 6 Fighters (THAC0 15), which is ridiculous so early in the game and not in line with 2nd Ed Monster Manual.

I'm always torn, because conceptually I love the idea of tougher kobolds - but the actual implementation is messed up.
  • AsaBMAsaBM Member Posts: 84
    Sleep spells carried me through the mines, LOL. The thieves are level 3 but everyone else is 2nd at most. I kinda liked the "improved kobolds" TBH.

I draw the line at bumping AC up so only a critical will hit, though. What a pain. Just makes fights take forever.
  • TrouveurTrouveur Member Posts: 501
    Nimbul is usually not a problem because most characters are level 3 by the time the mines are finished.

I have more of a bone to pick with SCS's "Improved Kobold" component, which adds Kobold Commandos, Guards, Shamans and Captains to the mine. The Commandos hit like level 6 Fighters (THAC0 15), which is ridiculous so early in the game and not in line with 2nd Ed Monster Manual.

I'm always torn, because conceptually I love the idea of tougher kobolds - but the actual implementation is messed up.
    The SCS readme specifically warns against this component. Also, all tactical challenges are meaned to be optional and installed after reading the readme.
  • jmerryjmerry Member Posts: 3,830
    Nimbul has base AC 5, yes. He also has 18 Dexterity and he wears those boots for 5 points better missile AC. All of that's vanilla, by the way.
    Bow mode Khalid, with a nonmagical longbow and arrows: +1 to hit from bow, +1 from dexterity, +0-3 from proficiency. If he's level 3 with specialization, that's effective THAC0 15 versus AC -4 and he needs a 19 to hit.
    Sword mode Khalid, with Varscona: +2 to hit from sword, +1-3 from proficiency. If he's level 3 with mastery and Nimbul has switched to melee, that's effective THAC0 13 versus AC 1 and he only needs a 12 to hit.

What does SCS add to this?
    - Single-Weapon Style for Nimbul. Another point of AC when he's in melee mode.
    - A 50% chance of having Shield. Another point of general AC and two points of missile AC, if it's active.
    Definite improvements, but nothing extreme. Just another point or two, which really hurts if you're at the edge and need a bit less than 20 to hit him.

Basically, Nimbul is really hard to hit with missile attacks. It's a Nimbul thing, not an SCS thing.

On the flip side, Nimbul is extremely weak to backstabs. Suppose Imoen is level 5, up against the vanilla version of Nimbul. Give her a +1 shortbow with nonmagical arrows and the +2 short sword.
    With her bow, she hits 10% of the time and has no chance of a one-hit kill.
    With her sword, backstabbing an unaware Nimbul, she hits 90% of the time and that hit is a guaranteed one-hit kill. The backstab gets +4 to hit for striking from invisibility, gets another +4 to hit and +4 damage (before the multiplier) because Nimbul's holding a ranged weapon, negates his DEX bonus for another effective +4, and isn't up against that 5-point missile AC bonus. Effective THAC0 8 versus AC 5, for (1d6+2+4)*3 = 21 to 36 damage against 21 HP.
  • AsaBMAsaBM Member Posts: 84
    jmerry wrote: »
    Nimbul has base AC 5, yes. He also has 18 Dexterity and he wears those boots for 5 points better missile AC. All of that's vanilla, by the way.
    Bow mode Khalid, with a nonmagical longbow and arrows: +1 to hit from bow, +1 from dexterity, +0-3 from proficiency. If he's level 3 with specialization, that's effective THAC0 15 versus AC -4 and he needs a 19 to hit.
    Sword mode Khalid, with Varscona: +2 to hit from sword, +1-3 from proficiency. If he's level 3 with mastery and Nimbul has switched to melee, that's effective THAC0 13 versus AC 1 and he only needs a 12 to hit.

What does SCS add to this?
    - Single-Weapon Style for Nimbul. Another point of AC when he's in melee mode.
    - A 50% chance of having Shield. Another point of general AC and two points of missile AC, if it's active.
    Definite improvements, but nothing extreme. Just another point or two, which really hurts if you're at the edge and need a bit less than 20 to hit him.

Basically, Nimbul is really hard to hit with missile attacks. It's a Nimbul thing, not an SCS thing.

On the flip side, Nimbul is extremely weak to backstabs. Suppose Imoen is level 5, up against the vanilla version of Nimbul. Give her a +1 shortbow with nonmagical arrows and the +2 short sword.
    With her bow, she hits 10% of the time and has no chance of a one-hit kill.
    With her sword, backstabbing an unaware Nimbul, she hits 90% of the time and that hit is a guaranteed one-hit kill. The backstab gets +4 to hit for striking from invisibility, gets another +4 to hit and +4 damage (before the multiplier) because Nimbul's holding a ranged weapon, negates his DEX bonus for another effective +4, and isn't up against that 5-point missile AC bonus. Effective THAC0 8 versus AC 5, for (1d6+2+4)*3 = 21 to 36 damage against 21 HP.

Oh dang! I just didn't dig deep enough I guess. Thanks for that!