Skip to content

Are you a BG Missionary?!

KulmKulm Member Posts: 19
Do you hate it when you get to talking about your personal favourite games growing up or currently, and the person your talking to as never heard of the Baldurs Gate saga? let alone played it!?? T_T
I tend to take this as a challenge to educate them on what they have been missing out on; 'Preaching it to them' to say the least... :P
Sometimes it works, and boy do they thank me... hell why do so many not know about it?!? I'm only 21.

I see it as a cruelty they carry out their existence playing today's lame ass RPG's and never experiencing the challenge and the awesomeness that is the Baldur's Gate series or even the IWD spin offs. So many good memories butt kicking for goodness!
Kivan, glad I always gave you my expensive arrows... bloody life saver.

But what better time then now for it I ask you with BG:EE looming!?.

Am I the only one Boo? ... :/

If I'm not! then...
-How do you go about converting the non believers, noobs or the blissfully ignorant into trying it?
*seeking creativeness!*
-Are you successful?
-Plus, whats the weirdest/ best thing that's happened to you from meeting someone new just like you who also loved BG with timeless passion?

But... That awesome moment when you meet someone new and ask them; "Whats your favorite game of all time?" no pause - "Baldurs Gate!"

image= Instant bfam.

Comments

• KirkorKirkor Member Posts: 700
    Well, those who are worthy, already played it :P

OT:
    The only good cRPG, that I recently played was Fallout New Vegas. For many years there was no such a good game... And it still isn't close to first Fallouts or to BG saga.
    It was good, because some of the old FO team was working on it.

Bethesda can't do good quests or story for sh*t... Skyrim was good looking, but quests were total crap. Oh, and incentory screen is terrible on all their games, lol.
  • KulmKulm Member Posts: 19
    Kirkor said:

Well, those who are worthy, already played it :P

Well said my friend; but is it not best to seek for a growing community? Thank Heironeous for BG:EE lol
    Our numbers are not few, but neither were they many.

• ARKdeEREHARKdeEREH Member Posts: 531
    edited November 2012
    Well, I convinced my dad to play Baldur's Gate, and now he really likes it. I also convinced a friend who played Baldur's Gate 10 years ago but eventually lost interest to get back into it. I don't know if that makes me a "Baldur's Gate missionary," but it does seem to fit the gist of what you're saying.
  • ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345
    I'm definitely a missionary.. as friends of mine could attest, I get into way too many gaming debates leading with something like "Well, that's one of the things that's so great about the BG games, in comparison:"

Though, I haven't had much actual success. One friend who I got to install the trilogy and Tutu up after much ado got out of Candlekeep, ran into a wolf, died 4-5 times in a row, and uninstalled. It just isn't a series for everyone. But nor should it be.
  • ZafiroZafiro Member Posts: 436
    edited November 2012
    Nihilism is cold I tell you, and far and wide. I never had any success with others. I doubt you can "preach" good taste, just like it seems next to impossible to teach virtue; seems to me is enough for one self to pass the desert. Best you can do is inform and let the light wash over the auditor. You can hear, but can you listen?..hmm.or is it the other way around?
    Shin said:

I'm definitely a missionary.. as friends of mine could attest, I get into way too many gaming debates leading with something like "Well, that's one of the things that's so great about the BG games, in comparison:"

Though, I haven't had much actual success. One friend who I got to install the trilogy and Tutu up after much ado got out of Candlekeep, ran into a wolf, died 4-5 times in a row, and uninstalled. It just isn't a series for everyone. But nor should it be.

Nearly identical to my own experiences Shin. Ive had some success though; I got a few Uni friends really interested in it and we gave co-op lan a shot through gameranger. Was a bit hit and miss due to lagg though :/
    I've been trying to convince my brother to play for the past 9 years... not given up yet :P

It seems the main people I know that love the BG saga, already loved it before I knew them... So I guess you may have a strong point there Zafiro. We can give them the tools to find the path, but they must walk it and reach the other side on their own.

It really isn't a game for those who have a short attention span or hot temper because It takes patience, awareness and planning to do well usually. As well as an interest in the genre of game. e.g. no good trying to convince a Fif13 addict to give it a shot :P

I remember when I first ever played BG. I was 9 and It was the first PC game I owned, actually inherited from my grandad... Talk about throwing myself in the deep end. It chewed me up and spat my little brain out. I think It took me a year or two to mature up before I took a proper bite out of it myself. Even then, its a game that takes intelligence and wisdom. Something too many games seem to lack the need for these days sadly.
    Never give up though ;)
  • OurQuestIsVainOurQuestIsVain Member Posts: 201
    Every time I'm asked what my favorite game is I respond 'Baldur's Gate' and it never fails that the person who asked the question says, 'Oh yeah, I played that on the ps2' referring of course to the hack and slash console versions...I always face palm at this. I try to spread the word but I think a big problem is it may be too complicated/slow paced/story intensive/graphically weak compared to what the current gears of call of wow generation is used to. Baldur's Gate is definitely only appealing to a very specific type of gamer.
  • reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    I have turned my kids into big fans. We run around the house, telling people to Stand and Deliver, so that our hamster might have a better look. Things like that.

I even have a Hamster (boo) stuffed little thing on the top of my monitor. It's BOO.
  • LadyEibhilinRhettLadyEibhilinRhett Member Posts: 1,078
    Guilty as charged.
    I introduce all my friends to BG.
    More than half of them are diehard fans now.
    Yes but more like it only appeals to a specific 'breed' of gamer, your right. But what's more interesting is, that person tends to be a very creative individual. Someone that loves to live inside their own head and draw on what they imagine. I've never met someone who plays these kinds of games who isn't themself creative in some way. That kind of gamer is one than can look at games beyond the graphics alone. A REAL gamer in my opinion.

Games shouldn't just be about pretty moving pictures. They should be about the story and they should demand some intelligence from the user. Right?

This is just one type of game that caters to the elite, so who cares if the sheep dont want to play. Generally I only introduce it to people I know have the capacity to understand and enjoy it given the time it takes do so.

Trouble is, many gamers of today have grown fat and lazy on force fed cheap plot and dialogie and, have gotten too used to following the pointy arrow till endgame. I just hope we're not a dying breed. I know
    my kids will be playing them ;) lol

You need to make mistakes in a game and over come them using thought to really love any game like this I believe. Wouldn't you agree?
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    It's actually quite hard to do this, since to people who didn't play when the games came out, the interface and graphics are quite dated - I sympathise becuase I encounter the same problem when I try to play fallout1+2. Hopefully, bgee will go some way toward fixing this.
    Why is it that people seem unable to praise this game without a knock on other games or the people who play it? I find it childish and silly, really. The reason that a lot of people won't play/like BG in the modern environment is not necessarily a good vs bad game argument and the players who don't like BG aren't worse gamers, dumb gamers or whatnot (looking at lots of people here, but mostly rebutting @Kulm). For all of the good things about BG, there are some things that gamers would find frustrating.

1) Clunky interface. There's no other way to put it. After the 100's of hours of playing, we can manipulate with ease, but that doesn't change the basic fact.

2) Obscure rules. Before waves of magic missiles and Agonizer's Scorcher come to kill the troll, I'm not saying this is bad. Just that things are obscure. If you build a character that sucks, you won't know until you've put a lot of time into it, which is frustrating. Fortunately, there are forums like this that help people find solutions and give ideas to try new things, but my point stands.

3) Micromanagement of the characters. Over time, this is what I like about the game, but it's daunting.

4) 2nd ED D&D is long gone. People don't have the external understanding of the rule set that a lot of us had in the 90's.

5) Arbitrary randomness. This is based on the D&D perspective that life isn't fair, or that bad stuff happens to good characters. In other words, you did everything right and that gibberling still crit-killed your paladin stud. While important to the genre, this is frustrating (especially saving throws) for some gamers.

6) Class/kit imbalance. Wizard Slayer sucks, period. No class should be that gimped. I'm fine with, say, Kensai - a good class that needs more care than others to excel, especially with a 'not recommended for new players' hint. Arguable which ones are harder, but I'd put Druid, Kensai and Bard in there. Anyway, this is something that is not apparent from the character generation screen.

7) Text interface. Reading long dialogue doesn't really interest me. I get the jist and hit next next next and get through to the next 'thing to do'. I imagine many players are the same.

Anyway, this is not meant as a criticism of a great game. Think of it more as a petition against the elitist notion that BG players are superior to other gamers or other such fiddle-faddle.
  • ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345
    edited November 2012
    @reedmilfam Without attempting a deeper analysis of the elitist vs casual phenomenon, I find myself agreeing with @Kulm. It's not necessarily so much about the details of BG in itself, but the general outlook/design philosophy of what it is that makes a game fundamentally good and worth playing several times even after a long time when many of its components can seem outdated.

To me, a basic requirement of such a game is that it's something akin to a project, that you can really dive into, devote your attention and focus to, spend a lot of time with, and get rewarded for doing so rather than finding that you hit your head on the bottom right away. It may not always be easy at first, but it generally tends to be very rewarding once you start getting the hang of things.

Having said that, obviously not everyone wants to approach a computer game the way they might approach learning a new language or trying to get better at mathematics. Some people just want a fun game that they can play when they don't have anything else to do. But for the people who once got into the habit of playing advanced games and enjoy when they are designed to have depth and complexity, the notion that this trend is going in the opposite direction can seem kind of scary.. it's illustrated relatively well in this brief article about AC3: http://www.vg247.com/2012/11/06/assassins-creed-3-the-one-button-power-trip/ - it focuses on the requirement of mechanical skill rather than insight/understanding, but it deals with the same principle.
    It's more like pop music has more of a following than classical, both for study and for listening. The masses are not a niche market. I get that. I take umbridge with the 'BG is so much better and the people that don't play it are not bright enough to understand it'.
  • AHFAHF Member Posts: 1,376

I have turned my kids into big fans. We run around the house, telling people to Stand and Deliver, so that our hamster might have a better look. Things like that.

I even have a Hamster (boo) stuffed little thing on the top of my monitor. It's BOO.

Any advice on this? I am hoping to do this with my 10 year old but foresee some issues getting him up to speed. I am dreading explaining thac0, AC, etc. to someone who rarely plays any video games (he usually gets 20 minutes a few times a week on his mom's ipad). He already enjoys watching me play a few minutes during the weekend which is promising so there should be a base of interest already.
  • MechaliburMechalibur Member Posts: 265
    I like to mention the fun I'm having with Baldur's Gate every now and then, to try ad get my friends interested (it's worked before!) I don't outright tell them that they need to play it though... I find that usually causes people to back off.
    edited November 2012

Why is it that people seem unable to praise this game without a knock on other games or the people who play it? I find it childish and silly, really. The reason that a lot of people won't play/like BG in the modern environment is not necessarily a good vs bad game argument and the players who don't like BG aren't worse gamers, dumb gamers or whatnot (looking at lots of people here, but mostly rebutting @Kulm). For all of the good things about BG, there are some things that gamers would find frustrating.

Perhaps I was a bit too passionate in my statements and how I worded my argument. However I wasn't meaning to suggest that people who play other games, or don't like BG were dumb etc. In fact this argument wasn't targeted directly at just BG, because there are numerous games that I've played, which i found difficult at first perhaps, didn't get the publicity they deserved and ultimately slid under the carpet to be trodden on by the mainstream monster. But they were ingenious and engrossing when given the time they deserve for the player to fully understand their charm. Games like Nox, Risen, Divinity II to name but a personal few. And of course there are some more recent games I liked, but many often lack the charm of the oldies.

I agree with your later points on how the game was lacking and was frustrating in many ways to say the least. However, despite all those flaws or annoyances, we are still here talking about it. And that's the main point I was trying to make, Sure if they didn't have the time to spend playing it, or they just weren't interested in the fantasy genre. But its those that just flat out say its shit because it looks dated; the people who just gave up then and give up now; usually come from what I'd call, a different gaming stock.

Largely I think that's down to today's society and the convenience mentality, not many people have the patience for games like these any more, because they require you to be *creative* as a way of putting it. Some mainstream gamers might argue that BG and the old D&D rules give you TOO much choice. But that's just their mentality limiting themselves over time by the games that spoon fed them the "Best" choices. I see the choices as freedom, and can that ever be a bad thing? who cares if some of the classes were just plain bad in comparison to others, just roll a new character! People are born with different genetic traits! The runts of the litter will always exist. I would argue its more realistic that way. Unless of course your big into the role play playing your "wizard Slayer" simply isn't even a viable option to work through the game, but bad ass on paper.

Of course there is mainstream and there is the niche market of hardcore gamers. One is vastly bigger than the other and really there isn't much to be done about that. The gaming industry as a whole is fast becoming totally corrupt in terms of their deviance from what their founding companies stood for when they set out to make a good game, and where they are now. Its all about milking the franchises that hit gold in the 80's, 90's and so on till there is nothing left, and they have pretty much got done doing that. But as whats happened recently in the last few years, Indie game companies are arising and reinstating those values that the founders themselves loved about the games they grew up playing.

To change the direction the Computer games industry is heading, is part of the reasons I'm aiming to work in it. Right now I'm fortunate enough and worked hard enough to be doing a Degree in the UK on the only Industry skillset accredited course in England for Game Art Design. With what I learn from that, I hope to take my own personal experiences and and new idea's with me to a company, or maybe start my own and share my influence on the future of what fuels our hobby... wish me luck, ain't gonna be easy. :P

I like to mention the fun I'm having with Baldur's Gate every now and then, to try ad get my friends interested (it's worked before!) I don't outright tell them that they need to play it though... I find that usually causes people to back off.

Best way to do it ;)
    AHF said:

Any advice on this? I am hoping to do this with my 10 year old but foresee some issues getting him up to speed. I am dreading explaining thac0, AC, etc. to someone who rarely plays any video games (he usually gets 20 minutes a few times a week on his mom's ipad). He already enjoys watching me play a few minutes during the weekend which is promising so there should be a base of interest already.
    @AHF - the concepts of the game aren't super hard for 10 year olds. My recommendation is to play for/with them. Seriously, ask what kind of hero they want to be and create it. Tell them what the stats mean (nimble, smart, makes good choices, good leader)...

Then you work through the Candlekeep stuff. If something goes wrong, you ask, "Do we have any tricks to make that better." Could be items, could be skills and could be 'come back to this area later - let's see what we find here...'

Mine were 8/10 (2 kids at the time) and they 'helped' me as we went. Sometimes picked the dialogue for me and stuff like that. Being exposed leads to understanding.

Make watching fun. Pop some pop corn and let them be part of it. Good luck to you!
    @Kulm - I wasn't angry at you or offended. My main point was partially that, to win gamers over, you don't want to start with 'what they like or want is bad'.

I do want to see quality games, and I realize that quality is a nebulous thing. I'm surprised at how good Drakensang is as a game - the game engine and way skills works is very well thought-out. Not as polished as some games, but it is a good one.

Rather than change the direction games are heading, I'd recommend that you work to make the best game you can. Smaller developers making great games gave us Minecraft (don't play myself, but my family loves it) and others.

The annoyances of Baldur's Gate are things I also overcame and, now, I love the game. I illustrate them because some people don't or won't get over those.
  • ZafiroZafiro Member Posts: 436
    I won't say people are dumb or anything, but there are a few things one can try to understand. Indeed most people today seem to be blinded by shiny things. One can also say that people playing Infinity Engine games hanker ripeness, adulthood if you like. Theres something about a sober tone in art.
  • MoomintrollMoomintroll Member Posts: 1,498
    All we need now is Don Draper to give us our pitch.
    Baldur's gate, It's toasted.
    edited November 2012

AHF said:

@AHF - the concepts of the game aren't super hard for 10 year olds. My recommendation is to play for/with them. Seriously, ask what kind of hero they want to be and create it. Tell them what the stats mean (nimble, smart, makes good choices, good leader)...

Then you work through the Candlekeep stuff. If something goes wrong, you ask, "Do we have any tricks to make that better." Could be items, could be skills and could be 'come back to this area later - let's see what we find here...'

Mine were 8/10 (2 kids at the time) and they 'helped' me as we went. Sometimes picked the dialogue for me and stuff like that. Being exposed leads to understanding.

Make watching fun. Pop some pop corn and let them be part of it. Good luck to you!
    @reedmilfam and others - Thanks again for the advice! Definitely interest on the end of my 10 year old son (and his 5 year old sister watching over his shoulder) and it looks like it is going to get me to unravel the 'meta-gaming' hat that I can't help but wear at this point.

I started it up this weekend where we just made it through the Candlekeep prelims. All the boring basics in the keep were very useful as far as getting my son a sense of the mechanics. I can tell there are going to be some interesting issues.

We went upstairs in the inn and I showed him that there are a variety of objects with which you can interact and to therefore keep an eye open for chests and the like. When he clicked on the first one and there were some GPs, he said, "but isn't that person in the room's money?" and looked at me like I was insane for pointing it out. Needless to say, I don't think points in pick pocketing are going to be a useful investment.
    @AHF LOL! I think what you do is make it a teachable moment. Sort of discuss that they're right, but the character isn't us and the choices aren't us.

The hard part is 'but the character is a Paladin. You said they always did good.'
    I told him that there are a wide variety of characters you can make but then started to have trouble coming up with the justification other than "your character can be a selfish bastard." At the beginning you can't rationalize by saying that you are trying to save a friend or stop a great evil in the world or anything. You are just a kid in a keep stealing from visitors because you can.

I am thinking we won't be getting all the neat cloaks in the game.
  • Son_of_ImoenSon_of_Imoen Member Posts: 1,806
    edited November 2012
    @Kulm: No, I don't preach. People will have to be a hardcore gamer to like a game like BG at all. I only now 2 gamers in my daily life. One is collegue that already knew and liked BG before I got to know him. The other is an acquintence of mine that likes Diablo-style games more, but he knows I like BG and therefore introduced me to Icewind Dale, when he got a copy of it but didn't like the game. It's my first IWD copy now.

But besides those two I don't know any people that like computer-games but some people who are into Spider Solitaire, like my parent's play daily. But a cardgame-player doesn't make a potional CRPG-gamer.

Gamers are rare around me, maybe I'm just too old. People who do like games, like my brother and brother-in-law, don't game no more as they're too busy with kids, wife and work. They've got too much responsibilities to be able to afford locking themself up the whole evening with Medieval Total War (my brother) or Pharaoh or Age of Empires (my brother-in-law).

@AHF: I like your son: "but isn't that person in the room's money?". That's true spirit!
  • ManveruManveru Member Posts: 75
    After playing NWN together for years I introduces some of my friends to BG last year. I introduced them to Neverwinter Nights as well mind you, but after playing it for years we needed a change. So we played BG to BG ToB back to back for over 5 months or so on coop. That was one hell of an unforgetable experience :D
  • LadyEibhilinRhettLadyEibhilinRhett Member Posts: 1,078
    @Son_Of_Imoen
    I don't agree. You don't have to be a hardcore gamer to enjoy BG. I've introduced it to plenty of casuals who absolutely love it.
  • xxxsmb1987xxxxxxsmb1987xxx Member Posts: 280
    @Kulm I hated whenever I mention BG the response i always got was "That ps2/xbox game?" I normally just glared at them and changed the subject =(