Skip to content

IESDP unknowns

Comments

• AndreaColomboAndreaColombo Member Posts: 5,524
    A new era opens up for the modding community 8-)
  • cmorgancmorgan Member Posts: 707
    Taimon had a hand in too, I think...
  • FredSRichardsonFredSRichardson Member Posts: 465
    Wow, this is extremely exciting. I think I've been too long out-of-the-loop to be much help. Truth be told, @DevSin contributed most of the changes that made it into the last version I had anything to do with. I actually thought I'd given up the SourceForge site (http://sourceforge.net/projects/nearinfinity), but it looks like I never did (oops).

Sam's work looks very promising. It looks like he's done some work to try and reconcile the various versions and has some of the version history on his site. I'll try to turn ownership of the sourceforge site and PocketPlane forum moderation to Sam if he'll take it ;)

Greetings all!
    AndreaColombosalomonkane
  • technophobetechnophobe Member Posts: 68
    Even if I had no intention of ever playing it, I'll buy BGEE just for opening up more modding capabilities.
    AndreaColombosalomonkaneCrevsDaak
  • devSindevSin Member Posts: 32
    Yeah, @FredSRichardson, Taimon set up a repository on github that has all the latest changes (Taimon made some changes on top of my sources, and then a lot of my later revisions were merged back in). There should be a link to it at the PPG forum.

To my knowledge, that's the version that is being built from over at SHS. It should contain the latest work that any of us ever did (I'm not sure if the SourceForge repository ever got all my changes, since you opened it with Jon's b19 sources).
    AndreaColombo
    @DevSin: maybe the SF site should just point to the GitHub repo. I sent Sam an e-mail about turning things over to him.
  • CuvCuv Member, Developer Posts: 2,535
    Heya @FredSRichardson !!!! Great to see you come over here!
  • CamDawgCamDawg Member, Developer Posts: 3,438
    I'm slowly crawling through the descriptions and noting discrepancies between them and the IESDP in the IESDP forum. May save some coding time.
    CuvcmorganAndreaColomboCrevsDaak
  • cmorgancmorgan Member Posts: 707
    I am just bloody happy to see all of you poking about again - wicked cool!
    salomonkaneGalactygonCrevsDaak
    @DevSin: maybe the SF site should just point to the GitHub repo. I sent Sam an e-mail about turning things over to him.
    Either it could point to the github repository, or you could just push all the changes on SourceForge. It's not like either are being maintained, so I'm not sure it matters where the latest source ends up.
    It's not like either are being maintained
    It's not like it's too late to start maintaining either one again, what with the advent of BG:EE and all the juicy information that devs have been dropping in this thread ;-)

lansounet
  • Avenger_teambgAvenger_teambg Member, Developer Posts: 5,862
    Awesome info. Does wind speed have any effect? I know fog has no effect, though it might be nice.
    @DevSin - I took a quick look at the GitHub repo. Can one get an executable jar directly from there, or are there build steps? I didn't look too closely. If there are build steps, then hosting the pre-built jar files on SF might make sense...
    Great to see so many familiar people here after so long :)
    Heya @FredSRichardson !!!! Great to see you come over here!
    @Cuv great to see you here, this is all pretty exciting :)
    cmorgan
  • WispWisp Member Posts: 1,102
    @FredSRichardson
    The source hosted at GitHub needs to be downloaded and built. You can upload prebuilt jar files alongside the source.
    I think Taimon has included an ant script for building that takes care of most of the work? You just need ant (I don't think there were any arguments beyond 'ant file').

You can also set it up in an IDE if you choose, though you'll have to configure the project yourself.
    @devSin - Well, I've recently learned to use Eclipse and like it quite a lot. My eyes have also been opened to Ant which looks quite flexible. I'll try to carve out some time to look into this.

I take it there are several branches of NI as well?
  • WispWisp Member Posts: 1,102
    @FredSRichardson
    If you mean my fork and this Jurgen00 fellow's fork, then yeah, I guess. I'm not quite sure if there are any differences today between Taimon's branches. Personally, I am quite comfortable with being treated as downstream (though I have a commit or two that probably should make it upstream).
    Well, a merge would be nice :) I'll see if I have some time to look at it.
    AndreaColombo
    If I can request, PRO, VVC, and WED are the formats where we really have to guess at some of the flags and fields (I also don't think we have all the WFX format nailed down, not that it was ever used for anything). Nobody really cares about the internal VEF (?) format.
    I just wanted to bump devSin's request for the PRO, VVC and WED formats before this thread gets completely lost.
    AndreaColomboAvenger_teambgsalomonkaneCrevsDaak
    Even if "nobody cares", why would we give up on knowing about WFX and VEF, anyway? I mean, while we're at it, it's well worth to request all the information :)
    CrevsDaak
    Even if "nobody cares", why would we give up on knowing about WFX and VEF, anyway? I mean, while we're at it, it's well worth to request all the information :)
    Sure, it wouldn't hurt. Especially if they are planned to be used.
    edited July 2012
    Some questions to @ScottBrooks or another dev.
    In the item structure we see 'attributes' (after the description picture resref). Is this a simple magic level field, or something more complicated.
    0x25/0x27/0x33 could be used for something more exciting than just letting them play structure alignment or faking as high byte of a word which will never be bigger than a byte.
    All this without breaking any modder tool or mods :)

Also, no one asked for the save game format?
    Post edited by Avenger_teambg on
  • ArdanisArdanis Member Posts: 1,736
    edited July 2012
    Also, no one asked for the save game format?
    I have just come in to do that :D

PS who'd think that 'quote' tag doesn't work here...
    Awe. Some. Thanks!
    Avenger_teambgAndreaColombosalomonkaneCrevsDaak