Skip to content

Rewriting Throne of Bhaal?

disgruntledgamerdisgruntledgamer Member Posts: 13
edited November 2012 in Archive (Feature Requests)
Throne of Bhaal rubbed of on me as a "screw it" type of expansion, would anyone reject the idea of rewriting some of it at least or scraping it completely in favor of BG 3?
Post edited by disgruntledgamer on

Comments

• ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122

Thorn of Bhaal rubbed of on me as a "screw it" type of expansion, would anyone reject the idea of rewriting some of it at least or scraping it completely in favor of BG 3?

I love you man :)
    Slowly and insidiously, the cult grows:
    http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/2256/remove-tob-from-bg2ee
  • MechaliburMechalibur Member Posts: 265
    edited November 2012
    (Deleted)
    Post edited by Mechalibur on
  • ARKdeEREHARKdeEREH Member Posts: 531
    edited November 2012
    I think ToB should still be included, but I think there should be more plot options available. For instance, what if the PC could join the 5, or at least some of them? I've always liked Sendai as a character and have wanted the option for her to join my party, but what if instead I could join her cause and help take down the other Bhaalspawn and Amellisan? This is just one idea. There could be any number of additional options and complexities built off the existing game.

I think a fun idea for a BG3 might be built off ToB and include aspects of it, but gradually shift to some other part of the world where the main game would take place. The PC's role in this new area could vary depending on choices made in ToB and the difference between good and evil choices could become more pronounced.

For example: If the PC chose to become a god in ToB, s/he could then be involved in some major plot in the new area where the role of god of murder was important. Something could happen that would make the PC vulnerable even though s/he was a god. Maybe Cyric, Lolth, or some other god[ess] would be involved. Righteous heroes could go on quests to destroy the new god of murder even while the PC was dealing with larger issues with other gods, which would add to the complexity.

Alternatively, if the PC chose to remain mortal, but one of the 5 survived ToB, that person could become the god[ess] of murder instead and then the PC could be the righteous hero trying to stop them. Or, the PC could be an ally of the god[ess] of murder who was trying to help them against the other deities or the parties of adventurers.

For multiplayer, I think it would be interesting if the counter-operative option were available in addition to co-operative. I remember how fun it was to play as the counter-operative on Perfect Dark. In a counter-operative multiplayer game, there are human players on both sides. This would mean that while one human party was trying to stop the 5 as in a normal ToB game, another human party would be trying to help the 5, or maybe even would include the 5. Eventually the two parties could fight each other. There could be additional quests for the party that helped the 5, such as finding a way into Saradush or collecting Bhaalspawn scalps.

Anyway, these are just some preliminary ideas I've had about how the plot direction in BG3 could go in relation to a partially re-written ToB.
  • O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    Not possible due to contract limitations. Have fun with what I stated right now.
  • reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    Well, they could have a check-able option on BG2:EE to play SOA or SOA+TOB, right? Probably won't happen, but it would satisfy those who were unahppy with TOB. I only played once and it didn't bug me, but some others feel strongly about it.
  • bill_zagoudisbill_zagoudis Member Posts: 207
    i think all the nerdrage over ToB is odd to say the least... it's not a great ending but the problem is that your standards are too high,overall it's a decent game worth playing,it just didn't leave you stunned as you hoped.
  • BerconBercon Member Posts: 486
    @bill_zagoudis Well it doesn't really live up to standards set by BG and BG2. It would be fairly easy to remedy with slightly improved dialog (Ascension for example) and some extra new areas that are not directly linked to the main quest. Now you are stuck following exactly what Melissan tells you to do and there aren't any side quests to speak of. You are reduced to an errand boy. Watchers Keep is nice addition tho, but its just a single thing.
  • mch202mch202 Member Posts: 1,455
    Bercon said:

@bill_zagoudis Well it doesn't really live up to standards set by BG and BG2. It would be fairly easy to remedy with slightly improved dialog (Ascension for example) and some extra new areas that are not directly linked to the main quest. Now you are stuck following exactly what Melissan tells you to do and there aren't any side quests to speak of. You are reduced to an errand boy. Watchers Keep is nice addition tho, but its just a single thing.

Agree++, BG2 was already little disappointing in my eyes because of the lake of wilderness areas, so TOB was too much for me, waayyy too linear.

I dont think they need to "rewrite" it, But I do think that in the title of BG2:EE they should focus their work on TOB and not on SOA which is already pretty polished.

• SeldarSeldar Member Posts: 438
    edited November 2012
    I dont understand why people dont like Throne of Bhaal... It's a good ending for BG series. I agree that it looks like a little bit like a speedrun, I mean, 5 boss to kill and here we go, last battle, only one alternative area (the Watcher's Keep) and 4 or 5 side quests...

But otherwise, I spent a good time on it, and I don't see what could be added or rewrited in ToB
  • mch202mch202 Member Posts: 1,455
    Seldar said:

I dont understand why people dont like Throne of Bhaal... It's a good ending for BG series. I agree that it looks like a little bit like a speedrun, I mean, 5 boss to kill and here we go, last battle, only one alternative area (the Watcher's Keep) and 4 or 5 side quests...

But otherwise, I spent a good time on it, and I don't see what could be added or rewrited in ToB

Its a matter of personal opinion.. I personally think TOB is boring and I actually force myself to finish it, So naturally I want it to be changed...
  • LMTR14LMTR14 Member Posts: 165
    tob is canon but really should have more options story-wise. plus more non-linear quests
  • shawneshawne Member Posts: 3,239
    @ARKdeEREH: The problem is that the Five have a pre-existing alliance (and, more importantly, they don't know what Amelyssan is really up to). From a story standpoint, Sendai would have absolutely no reason to trust you over the allies she already has.
  • EudaemoniumEudaemonium Member Posts: 3,199
    Since it's unlikely they'll be able to cut ToB, or even be able to include Ascension (though it'd be amazing if they could), what they might be able to do is simply add a ton of side-quests and additional material to ToB that falls outside the main storyline. That would remedy the brevity and linear nature of the story somewhat.
  • ARKdeEREHARKdeEREH Member Posts: 531
    edited November 2012
    shawne said:

@ARKdeEREH: The problem is that the Five have a pre-existing alliance (and, more importantly, they don't know what Amelyssan is really up to). From a story standpoint, Sendai would have absolutely no reason to trust you over the allies she already has.

Drow culture involves constantly stabbing your former allies in the back and getting rid of them when their perceived usefulness runs its course. Since Balthazar and Amellisan are doing that to Sendai, it would make sense that Sendai might conceive of using the PC in the same way against them. Sendai also says "you would have made a great ally to our cause" implying that she would have liked to have the PC on her side, but also acknowledges that it is too late since you just finished killing her army and are there to kill her. If the game was modified a bit, perhaps it would be possible to either negotiate with Sendai before killing her army or to spare her life at the end of the fight, possibly through a geas spell or some other magical means. The PC could also present Sendai with evidence of Balthazar's and Mellisan's treachery, such as their sending you to kill her, for instance. Sendai's motivation (and that of the other members of the 5) is to become a demi-god alongside Bhaal when he is resurrected. It just seems logical that, given the chance, she would opt to share that power with less people by siding with the PC or even become the new goddess of murder herself if the PC turned down the post, especially if the only alternative was death.

Using Sendai in a BG3 combined with ToB is just one idea among many and isn't the main idea in my earlier post. Really, any of the 5 could be used or not at all and the larger idea would still work. Sendai was meant as an example to illustrate the point and because I personally like her more than the other members of the 5.
  • HeinrichHeinrich Member Posts: 188
    I see that many people prefer Ascension than the vanilla ToB. It would be nice if this website had a page dedicated to the most popular mods for those who are dissatisfied with BG:EE and can just get easy access to those mods without having to go to multiple third-party websites.

• DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    @Heinrich I believe it was mentioned somewhere that they want to eventually make it easier to access and configure your mods, similar to what happens in Civilization V. That said, there's a whole subforum on Modding, so that'd be a good place to start.
  • HeinrichHeinrich Member Posts: 188
    @Aosaw I hope they go with this option as well, especially if it's like Civilization V!

For now I'll just be patient and keep my fingers crossed. :)

• pablo200783pablo200783 Member Posts: 96
    Strongly suggest give back things cut before ToB release, simple new content need.
  • MungriMungri Member Posts: 1,645
    edited November 2012
    It would be fantastic if they could make modding as easy as it is in Civ V - open a map generator and start playing around. I'm not really into modding other games, but do like making maps in Civ.

An item modding tool generator would be great. I did originally try making modules and items for NWN, but I didn't actually like the game enough to play it more than once.
  • CrowseyeCrowseye Member Posts: 28
    I absolutely think the story deserves an ending where the player gives in completely to his dark nature or rises above it forever. For all its faults, ToB does offer that at the end.

I even like the concept of The Five. For me the big problems are that Mel stays too much on the periphery of the story to have been introduced so late, and that The Five are basically used as bosses rather than being characters in their own right. You interact with them basically just long enough to kill them. There's no "movement" to the story. Compare to Sarevok and Irenicus who show up to antagonize multiple times throughout their respective games.
  • ElectricMonkElectricMonk Member Posts: 599
    edited November 2012
    I'm hoping that the team will do everything within their power (up to and including fighting to reshape certain contractual limitations) when it comes to ToB. This expansion, though passable in its own right as a game, certainly doesn't live up to the standards set by its predecessors. BG2 is solid enough, as some have mentioned, so time should be spent adding to ToB until it's worthy of the name "Baldur's Gate." More plot options, less linearity in general, time spent editing things overlooked in the story, etc. They have a wealth of material to draw from such as Ascension (either as a general inspiration or, alternatively, as a source of material if legally possible). ToB should not be, as it seems to be for many (myself included), a conclusion that you have to force yourself to play through simply to feel that you've truly completed the series. It should be as enjoyable as all the content that comes before it.

That being said, I am a realist, and although I am hoping for this, I'm certainly not expecting nearly as much as I'm hoping for in this area. At the end of the day, the team is limited and can only do so much.
  • Raistlin82Raistlin82 Member Posts: 256
    edited November 2012
    ToB was great, it really brought EPICNESS into the BG series.
    I always found Irenicus to be such a weak choice for a final boss... he's so uncharismatic and boring (not to mention he looks ridiculous and not elf-like... how the hell did that happen, btw? He was cursed and ZAP, he got a leatherface mask, and became bulkier and 2 feet taller?).
    All the Bhaalspawn are cool and interesting (except for the first lady), and what's most important, the final boss, the battle and the endings are much more interesting than the BG2 ones.
    I really loved the fact that ToB lets you have a home base where you can summon all your allies, I loved the fact that they expanded on the BG2 romances (Aerie's baby!), I love the (again) EPICNESS of the endings of every single character (Keldorn in primis), and I loved to have enemies and a plot that are ACTUALLY CONNECTED to the main character and the fact that he's a Bhaalspawn... just like Sarevok in the first game), and unlike Irenicus who's just... some wizard guy who happened to notice you and decided you could give him the power he was looking for, in his totally unrelated war.
    Basically, whereas the BG and ToB bosses are your NATURAL ENEMIES... Irenicus, well, he's Iron Man, and you're the curds who give him the tools to make his suit at the beginning of the movie, so he can go on and fight his REAL enemy (Ellesime, the Elves and the Elven Gods).
  • MoomintrollMoomintroll Member Posts: 1,498
    @Raistlin82 I want to disagree with you because I really like BG2 but I think you make a good point :P BG2 makes you feel like you're pretty unique, ToB makes you look ignorant for not seeing this huge war going on with those of your shared heritage.

I think Irenicus and Bodhi are more interesting and imaginative than just lots of Bhaalspawn war however.
  • NWN_babaYagaNWN_babaYaga Member Posts: 732
    I never played ToB so i wouldnt want to miss out this opportunity. But i can live with the thought that the Devs start working on BG3 instead on said exp;)
  • Raistlin82Raistlin82 Member Posts: 256

@Raistlin82 I want to disagree with you because I really like BG2

Well, I LOVE BG2. That doesn't mean I have to take it as a whole block. Some things are good, some things are less good, some things are just lame. ;)
    but I think you make a good point :P BG2 makes you feel like you're pretty unique, ToB makes you look ignorant for not seeing this huge war going on with those of your shared heritage.
    Yeah... isn't that awesome? :D
    I think Irenicus and Bodhi are more interesting and imaginative than just lots of Bhaalspawn war however.
    Ok. That's your taste. I disagree, but I can't really argue with that.
    To me, the whole "Bhaal shacked anything" story, is EXTREMELY imaginative: Bhaalspawn drow... alright. Bhaalspawn half-orc... ok. Bhaalspawn kobold... seriously? Bhaalspawn chinchilla... WTH?? And I'm not gonna name one of the non-human bosses in ToB, just because I realized that there are people like @NWN_babaYaga, here, who might hate me for spoilering. But that was EPIC.

Irenicus, on the other hand... is atypical looking, sure (because he looks human when he's an elf - whatever - and because of the leatherface thing)... but other than that is just your usual power-crazed wizard, who does stuff "For The Evulz", and (as I said) has nothing to do with us. And his speeches are just. So. BORING! >.<
    Bodhi is just a regular cruel, depraved vampire. I hated that part of the game, because they dedicated sooooooo much "screentime" to such a bland character.
  • MoomintrollMoomintroll Member Posts: 1,498
    @Raistlin82 I think they just went with "bosses are big." I don't like it either and would like to know why he seems to be wearing mask and S&M wear too.
  • MyNameIsRobMyNameIsRob Member Posts: 36
    I really loved Irenicus and the whole elven lust for power story, the voice work for the character was incredible to. I wasn't a big fan at first of the look of Irenicus, but I started to like it over time. And while I agree Bg2 is a much more fleshed out and deeper more satisifying experience, I don't think ToB is the big let down alot of people find it to be. It certainly could have used more work in more than a few areas, but I found alot of areas to be quite good. I love the fire with Yagu-Shura? (the fire giant) and the confrontation to destroy his heart in the weird foresty area. Fighting the drow was well done to and really all the extra areas. They just should have waited a few more months or so and given us a little more.
  • MyNameIsRobMyNameIsRob Member Posts: 36
    Yeah and I found Melissan to be a very shrilly, whiny abomination, especially at the end. I wouldn't mind if they replaced her or did something else there.