Skip to content

No Signatures

CadrosCadros Member Posts: 253
edited June 2012 in Site Resources
Could we please carry on not having signatures, many forums have them, and I think aesthetically they clutter up the forum discussions, and are valueless to any discussion by definition as they say the same thing under every post regardless of content.

Post edited by CameronTofer on
ConphantusDeeOzzieCorianderWinthalLuneverZafiroDamageInccarugaMortianna

Comments

• AntonAnton Member, Moderator, Mobile Tester Posts: 513
    edited June 2012
    Agreed. Same with additional information in profiles - Countries and Websites - no need to add these.
    I would also suggest to use fantasy-only avatars (pictures) for better immersion ;)
  • CadrosCadros Member Posts: 253
    I'm unfussed by portraits, I don't think immersion is an issue on an external forum, and it also sounds hard/silly to police. Does @Kore 's portrait count as fantasy, who is to say it is not a werepig.
  • KoreKore Member Posts: 245
    Of course it's a werepig. Would a normal pig wear boots?!

I agree that immersion should not be an issue in the forums unless there is a specific forum dedicated to roleplaying where you are not allowed out of character.

On the note of signatures, I can't really think of a reason to have them for this forum for now. That said, people often like to display a couple of links or other lines. I wouldn't mind if we were allowed a restricted sig (I probably wouldn't use it though) as long as pictures couldn't be large and as long as Vanilla has the option to allow members to ignore all sigs.
  • FranticFeyFranticFey Member Posts: 31
    I agree that signatures on other forums have often led to unnecessary clutter, but I would like to bring up the point that sometimes signatures can be useful, particularly when there is player-made content involved. I know on the Neverwinter Nights forums that owners of Persistent Worlds or mod creators would leave a link to their creations in their siggy, which can make finding quality work easy for some. Plus, I occasionally like reading witty, snarky one-liners that my favorite posters sometimes put in!
    OzzieBalquoMajoritas
    I guess if there is an option to turn them on then that is fine.
  • WardWard Member Posts: 1,305
    No signatures!? But that means I can't have "So I kicked him in the head till he was dead, nyahahahah!" at the bottom of every sentence.

!!!~ So I kicked him in the head till he was dead, nyahahahah!" ~!!!
    Kore
  • KoreKore Member Posts: 245
    Hmm in that case how do you spell the way that gibberlings scream? i'll just go for the words Drassus uses.

!!!~ "I'd rather we skipped the small talk and got right t' the killing." ~!!!
    Ward
    edited June 2012
    I saw a thread on Google where people just quoted random characters and NPCs. Is this going to happen?

!!!~ "Sorry friend, but you've got a date. Down under!" ~!!!
  • TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    I never liked signatures that included images, but I'll be sad that I can't use the Dragonlance quote in my sig that I've been using online for almost a decade now.
  • Wonderboy2402Wonderboy2402 Member Posts: 121
    edited June 2012
    I dont mind not having signatures.

I do however mind having our avatar pics be so tiny... Need to triple in dimension IMO.
  • BhryaenBhryaen Member Posts: 2,874
    edited June 2012
    No signatures!? But that means I can't have "So I kicked him in the head till he was dead, nyahahahah!" at the bottom of every sentence.

Such unbridled insolence to quote such a thing on the BGEE forum! I would be fine with a couple lines for a signature myself, keeping it short and thus poignant and not distracting, but I wouldn't use it for such banalities. Huh!

At first I wanted larger avatars also, but actually I like the cute widoo biddy pictures now and find they keep the discussion more interesting than avatars. The best part is that the avatar is a good size if you click on the member name, so it's not as if you're always restricted to it... though this post probably would earn an off-topic rating if that still existed... >:-)
    DeeMajoritas
    I agree with @Bhryaen, Ithink the avatars are fine as they are. Should I change the thread title to "Forum Layout Discussion"?
  • Wonderboy2402Wonderboy2402 Member Posts: 121
    I don't see a need to change the thread title. Seems fine so far.
  • BalquoBalquo Member, Developer Posts: 2,746
    I would like a signature.
    edited June 2012

Such unbridled insolence to quote such a thing on the BGEE forum! I would be fine with a couple lines for a signature myself, keeping it short and thus poignant and not distracting, but I wouldn't use it for such banalities. Huh!

I don't know what a baanlities is but it sounds damn awesome sir. As for inappropiately quoting sadistic teenage bandits and my equally sadistic carving of their scalps, I just can't think of anything more entertaining than a Californian surfer dude voicing a bandit in a faux-medieval fantasy game.

P.S. I read somewhere that if you play as a monk, you can kick the bandit in the head until he's dead, nyahahahah!!!
  • BhryaenBhryaen Member Posts: 2,874
    @Ward lol... At least as good as finding rural American hicks playing clueless killers of the tree of a dryad.

So, looks like i got the chance after all to say this is by far the best looking "forum" i've ever laid eyes on.