Skip to content

Priests: Tips and Tricks

A bit ago, I asked you guys some advice on Mages (http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/6328/mage-tips-and-tricks/) due to their spells being a bit overwhelming for me at times. There were a few comments in relation to priests spells as well, like Command being a really handy 1st level spell (one which I had never bothered with).

I would love to hear more tips for priest spells. Which ones you enjoy the most, which spells you may think are underused, which spells are good in combination with other priest (or mage) spells. Anything you can think of!

Comments

• BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    edited November 2012
    Hold Person and Silence are really good second level spells. Rigid Thinking at third level cannot be stopped by charm protection, and is a good save-or-die when they use it on you, but I've found it less effective when I try to use it on them.

Clerics get many of the most critical spells in the game, over and above their handy-dandy healing spells.

The various healing spells are no-brainers to be useful, so I am not going to include them on my list:

First Level: Remove Fear (critical protection), Draw Upon Holy Might, Doom (for mage and dragon battles
    to reduce saves) Protection from Evil (effectively two AC bonus and plus two to saves)

Second Level: Slow Poison (it actually neutralizes it), Hold Person, Silence (works on invisible casters)

Third Level: Holy Smite (great non-evil party-friendly AoE, chance to blind enemies), Negative Plane Prot

Fourth Level: Death Ward (a lifesaver vs. mages), Protection from Evil 10' (convenient)
    Lesser Restoration (if you don't want to pay a temple to restore drained levels)

Fifth Level: Chaotic Commands (a critical protection spell), Raise Dead, Flame Strike,
    Righteous Magic (automatic maximum damage)

Sixth Level: Wondrous Recall (more fifth level goodness),
    Aerial Servant (one of the best summons in the game)

Seventh Level: Finger of Death (save-or-die), Firestorm (good AoE, ignores magic resistance)
  • Oxford_GuyOxford_Guy Member Posts: 3,729
    I use Command and Doom alot. Sanctuary is great to use when trap-finding as a Cleric/Thief, DUHM great for backstabs...
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    edited November 2012
    Use level 4 spell call woodland being to summon a nymph who can cast (level 5 spell) mass cure light wounds rather than use level 5 spell slots.
    Sanctuary is really really good at skipping enemies you dont wnat to fight. Use it to loot the troll mound and the golem room in d'arnise keep, amongst other things.

Protection from evil and armour of faith are very useful and underated spells which should be useful even at level 40+

Once you get regen rings, use them too heal minor wounds in order to stop your spell slots being filled with minor healing spells. Havig said that heal and greater restoration are super useful.

Put the amulet of negative plane protection on the cleric who has all the restoration spells memorised.

Best summon spell in BG1 is animate dead which clerics get as a level 3 spell. It's also very useful in bg2 at beating lavok and tolgerias in the planar sphere.

Hold person is incredibly powerful and agian works well throughout the game . That and cure poison are bassically the only level 2 spells worth memorising.
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    edited November 2012
    @ajwz, good post, but I think you meant "Animate Dead" for that third level spell. It is indeed powerful, especially after you start getting skeleton warriors with it.

I don't usually use it though, because it seems kind of evil to me. Plus, I'm not a huge fan of summons in general. Until I get to the battle with Sarevok. Then, I'm all "hand me that Wand of Monster Summoning, fast!"
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    edited November 2012

@ajwz, good post, but I think you meant "Animate Dead" for that third level spell. It is indeed powerful, especially after you start getting skeleton warriors with it.

I don't usually use it though, because it seems kind of evil to me. Plus, I'm not a huge fan of summons in general. Until I get to the battle with Sarevok. Then, I'm all "hand me that Wand of Monster Summoning, fast!"

fixed
  • reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808

Animating the corpses of fallen evil beings so that they might help the cleric do good might be seen as a redemption of souls... Anyway, interesting take on the subject and one that I'll think about.
  • Oxford_GuyOxford_Guy Member Posts: 3,729
    @awin123 - good tips, thanks for contributing! Have been thinking of running a cleric/thief multi class in BGEE (though want to run a fighter/mage first)...
  • orosiusorosius Member Posts: 45
    Good posts.
  • AHFAHF Member Posts: 1,376
    One spell I haven't seen mentioned that is very useful for F/C types is harm. Against someone like Yaga Shura, it can be a lifesaver.
  • chickenhedchickenhed Member Posts: 208
    AHF said:

One spell I haven't seen mentioned that is very useful for F/C types is harm. Against someone like Yaga Shura, it can be a lifesaver.

Indeed. I'm always very surprised Harm is not mentioned more often. I always think there is something about it I don't know. It always seemed really powerful to me.
  • bbearbbear Member Posts: 1,180
    Does harm ignore magic resistance? In a battle with sendai, my tank inquisitor had 100% magic resistance and she managed to land harm on him twice.

My recommended spells:
    Lv1: Remove Fear, Doom (cheesily stackable), Sanctuary, Armor of Faith (also stackable)
    Lv2: Hold Person, Silence 15 Radius, Draw Upon Holy Might, Chant (low level party)
    Lv3: Holy Smite, Animate Dead, Dispel Magic
    Lv4: Protection Against Evil 10 Radius (I found it more like 20ft radius), Death Ward, Free Action, Defensive Harmony
    Lv 5: Chaotic Command, Mass Cure, True Seeing
    Lv 6: Aerial Servant, Heal
    Lv 7: Firestorm

Druids:
    Lv 2: Charm Person or Mammals (not many good lv 2 druid spells)
    Lv 5: Iron Skin, Insect Plague
    Lv 7: Creeping Doom, Nature's Beauty
  • chickenhedchickenhed Member Posts: 208
    Harm should not ignore Magic resistance. Odd that Sendai got harm's off on you.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    Holy Smite is the only level 3 spell I ever prepare.

That might say something about me as a gamer...
  • orosiusorosius Member Posts: 45
    Can we heal undead for damage?