Skip to content

Boo and Minsc

KarolyKaroly Member Posts: 0
I think it would be really cool if Boo could actually be playable, like Minsc's familiar. I know, it would change things quite a bit, but it would add to the game experience quite a bit, in my opinion.

What do you think?

Comments

• DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    I like the idea of Boo being an actual member of the party, but I worry that letting the hamster run around would open the door to Boo being killed in battle, which would have to be accounted for in dialogue.
  • kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
    Don't worry, as happens in the old game, as soon the game is launched, someone will make a mod of this.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    Was the real reason I enjoyed BG because boo was secretly mind-controlling me?
    Probably. But looking back, wouldn't you say it was worth it? :)
  • AkerhonAkerhon Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 614
    Playable or not, Boo shouldn't really be taking up one of Minsc's quick slots for nothing. He'd be better off placed in Minsc's inventory (IIRC, @Bhryaen once said something about wanting to make this request but eventually he didn't post it).
    Indeed! :v
    Imho i would prefer they worked to a new playable races (drow, half-ogre, duergar, tiefling, aasimar) rather than an useless giant space hamster, lol.
  • nulspacenulspace Member Posts: 100
    I disagree, however, I do think that Minsc is very un-developed as a character. Fortunately, the Unfinished Business mod includes one of the quests that Bioware cut which gives Minsc and Boo a quest of their own (read about it here: http://mods.pocketplane.net/readmes/readme_ub.html#boo), at least in BG2.
  • AndreaColomboAndreaColombo Member Posts: 5,525
    ^ And a very nice quest at that, if you ask me.
  • ZakerosZakeros Member Posts: 75
    @Karoly If you want it so badly you can summon him via CLUAConsole (CLUAConsole:CreateCreature("boo")) and then add to your party while having EnableCheatKeys turned on by clicking ctrl+q. You can even try to throw in a portrait of him with Shadow Keeper :D
  • James_MJames_M Member Posts: 140
    You should ask Boo about that! I think he’d say “Squeak!”
  • trinittrinit Member Posts: 705
    @Cadros: i agree. therefore it is best to leave him where he is, as he is. lest we might tempt his fury... :/
  • WardWard Member Posts: 1,305
    GO FOR THE EYES, BOO. GO FOR THE EYES!

"BEG FOR DEATH!"

-SQUEAK!-

NO BOO NO!!!!!!!
  • GrungeChlapecGrungeChlapec Member Posts: 12
    edited June 2012
    Boo is gold furry Overlord and Protector of Forgotten Reamls. Boo is located in Minsk inventory just because it is modest creature.
  • BoasterBoaster Member Posts: 622
    "Go for the eyes Boo! Go for the eyes! RRRRRRRRRRRUSK!"
  • sepottersepotter Member Posts: 367
    I don't know about having boo as a party member, but I think that if minsc dies, boo should leap out and do damage to whomever killed him. Perhaps even have that enemy blinded for a certain amount of time.
  • Jaxx86Jaxx86 Member Posts: 26
    It would be really cool if one of Minsc's idol animations had something to do with his rodent. Like him petting Boo.

If Boo was playable and you got the little guy killed, it would have dire consequences for Minsc and his story for the rest of the game. Think Anomen without being a Knight, but worse!
  • AsmodiasAsmodias Member Posts: 22
    Boo is a level 17 warrior. He'll mess you up.
  • Space_hamsterSpace_hamster Member Posts: 950
    Playable or not, Boo shouldn't really be taking up one of Minsc's quick slots for nothing. He'd be better off placed in Minsc's inventory (IIRC, @Bhryaen once said something about wanting to make this request but eventually he didn't post it).
    Boo demands a lot of attention, so that justifies the weapons slot.
  • TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    Well, Minsc is one of the strongest NPCs in BG1. Perhaps Boo occupying one of his quickitem slots is just a minor inconvenience for having the awesomeness that is Minsc and Boo in your party.
  • Space_hamsterSpace_hamster Member Posts: 950
    LoL no kidding...I mean, Minsc does duel wield and has enrage special attack, he is practically a berserker.
  • Lord_ToastLord_Toast Member Posts: 7
    I remember some PnP fights where boo was the only one left in the entire party that was conscience ... Minsc would get knocked out in the first round then while Sarevok and his vorpal sword would clean up boo would find some way out of whatever hell we stepped into.
    So, when are we going to get the full story on the PnP games?
  • Bastion72Bastion72 Member Posts: 60
    @smeagoldheart Go for the eyes Minsc,go for the eyes,squeeeek!!!
  • TauronTauron Member Posts: 22
    In the beginning of BG2, once you find Minsc, he has hidden Boo...but all he has on him is underwear cloth or something. If I remember dialogue correctly, your char asked Minsc how he hid hamster and Minsc answers, Boo doesnt want to talk about it! "Boo, those are not NUTS...BOOOOOOOO!!!"
  • lelag200lelag200 Member Posts: 125
    I like the idea of Boo being an actual member of the party, but I worry that letting the hamster run around would open the door to Boo being killed in battle, which would have to be accounted for in dialogue.
    Yeah, very true, but they could make it so that Boo couldn't be hurt... but at the same time they couldn't allow him to do much damage if that were the case. I do love Cadros's thought that Boo is the spellcaster out of the two of them, which means he couldn't leave minsc if minsc were to cast a spell.

• CelebCeleb Member Posts: 14
    @Tauron
    Oh lawl. Picture this: level 30 monk, Boo, The Nutbreaker.

The whole idea reminds me of the Dog from Dragon Age.

• Bastion72Bastion72 Member Posts: 60
    lol they should add additional cinematic if you have Minsc during the fight with Irenicus:
    Irenicus: Enough! It is time i finish you off!
    *cast spell*
    Minsc: It is not over mage! Go for the eyes Boo,go for the eyes!
    *Boo jumps on Irenicus*
    Irenicus: What?! What is this?
    *Boo jumps on his face and bites his eyes*
    Irenicus: Aaaargh,my eyes!
    Minsc: Now friend! Cast him into the abyss!
    *Protagonist use bhaalspawn spell and Irenicus dissapears*
    *Boo returns to Minsc*
    Minsc: Aye you re a hero!
    Boo: squeek squeek!