Skip to content

The Revival of Party-Based, 2D, Isometric RPGs; BG:EE and others

ElectricMonkElectricMonk Member Posts: 599
edited November 2012 in Off-Topic
- Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition

- Project Eternity

- Wasteland 2

I just wanted to mention how excited I am about not only BG:EE and future Overhaul releases, but the apparent widespread revival of this style of game. It's interesting that these projects are clustered so tightly together time-wise, and I wonder what the catalyst for this movement was.

Kickstarter (and crowd-funding in general) obviously had a huge effect on the decision to make P:E and Wasteland 2. I wonder which one of these projects was being seriously considered first, and if the announcement of one of them inspired the creation of the others, or if it was all largely coincidental. However it came about, I'm certainly happy that it did, and I am looking forward to playing some great RPGs over the next couple of years.

On a sort-of related note, I was surprised to discover that Interplay has decided, as of August of this year, to reopen Black Isle Studios, the studio that developed Fallout II, IWD I&II, and PS:T, and published the BG games. It will be Black Isle in name only of course (I think that they found one original Black Isle team member still working at Interplay to put on the team), but is interesting nonetheless, if for no other reason than the timing.

One more note on the subject of upcoming RPGs: If you haven't yet, I'd encourage you to check out Age of Decadence, an upcoming RPG with a unique combat system and heavy importance placed on choices and consequences. There's a demo you can get at the above AoD link, just click on "Download The Public Beta" on the main site.

By the way, both Project Eternity and Wasteland 2 are still accepting "donations" via paypal, you can check out their reward tiers at the respective sites if you're interested; and Age of Decadence is accepting pre-orders and donations as well.
Post edited by ElectricMonk on
Kristie83MedullaOblongata

Comments

• SirFrancealotSirFrancealot Member Posts: 56
    Crowdfunding is certainly providing developers with more options when it comes to getting their potential projects off the grounds. The same thing is happening with the space sim industry, with Chris Roberts making a new one.

I'm so tired of shooters and bloated AAA psuedo RPG's, good to see some classic but modern projects getting the money and attention they deserve.
    ElectricMonkKristie83MedullaOblongata