Skip to content

Best couple

ShapiroKeatsDarkMageShapiroKeatsDarkMage Member Posts: 2,428
What is the best romance couple in the series?

I'm a supporter of CharnameXAerie.<3

Comments

• Talin_SilverbaneTalin_Silverbane Member Posts: 34
    I always preferred Aerie, I know some people dislike her and some people want to find new ways to murder her. But I kind of like the sweet and innocents about her. But Victoria was always great and the relationship was more deeper than Aerie's. As for Jaheira...she was more like a mother character and likely older than your character so...no not her.
  • FlashburnFlashburn Member Posts: 1,847
    Charname+True Neutral Viconia. She's fiercely independent for a while and runs hot and cold. Its actually something I've had to deal with before, so navigating that romance is a lot of fun.
  • etaglocetagloc Member Posts: 349
    I always preferred Aerie, I know some people dislike her and some people want to find new ways to murder her. But I kind of like the sweet and innocents about her. But Victoria was always great and the relationship was more deeper than Aerie's. As for Jaheira...she was more like a mother character and likely older than your character so...no not her.
    victoria.. HISSSSS HIISSSSS

• WardWard Member Posts: 1,305
    edited July 2012
    ME + Viconia.

Damn CHARNAME, she is mine. ;)
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    i think jaheria is the best because you can get some cOoOoOoOoL I-tAmS if she is on your team like the ring of wizardry and the harper pin plus i find her to be more usefull than viconia and aerie ( anomen is better than viconia in every way when it comes to being a cleric, and aerie is just so watered down with being a multiclass with relatively low stats) although i have had full romances with all 3, i think viconia is probally the best one because she is rough around the edges, and thats the way i like it, aerie is way to soft and wishy washy, and jaheria requires a lot of thinking and save the whales and the snails and all that rot, but when it comes to usefullness jaheria is the best i would say ( goooooooooooood items :) )
  • goetzvolzgoetzvolz Member Posts: 4
    i think jaheria is the best because you can get some cOoOoOoOoL I-tAmS if she is on your team like the ring of wizardry and the harper pin plus i find her to be more usefull than viconia and aerie ( anomen is better than viconia in every way when it comes to being a cleric, and aerie is just so watered down with being a multiclass with relatively low stats) although i have had full romances with all 3, i think viconia is probally the best one because she is rough around the edges, and thats the way i like it, aerie is way to soft and wishy washy, and jaheria requires a lot of thinking and save the whales and the snails and all that rot, but when it comes to usefullness jaheria is the best i would say ( goooooooooooood items :) )
    Hmmm I love it when women have the right kind of Items.
  • powerfulallypowerfulally Member Posts: 261
    @goetzvolz I've dumped my gf because she didn't have necklace of awesomeness +3 and she told me otherwise. Next time, please, come to me with better items.
  • CheesebellyCheesebelly Member Posts: 1,727
    I myself am more of a Viconia guy actually. But it's largely dependent on who I want to role play.

I am still pretty much sure PC - Haer'dalis would have been awesome, sadly not the case in BG2 (maybe EE? Although I doubt it).

Non PC couples wise, I'm will go ahead and say Valygar - Mazzy, even if it's not a true love story I guess. I'm telling you though, that silly red head has some feelings for good man Valygar :P
  • NeoDragonNeoDragon Member Posts: 169
    Difficult ... Normally (= if only the games are taken into account) I would say CHARNAMExAerie, BUT there is one big problem: The lifespan diffrence. In 60 years you're dead (or pretty much there) and she's still young ... not a very bright future ... ... okay, in the 2nd edition there are some items/spells/other possibilities to potentially expand your lifespan ... or you bend the 'after story' into shape to avoid/solve that problem by some miracle (like in Lord of the Rings: Arwen chooses to become mortal) ... but that's all speculation. An official statement from the devs would help here to clarify things.

• TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    @NeoDragon

CHARNAME can be an elf too.

But more important than that, the Forgotten Realms are full of HumanxElf couples.
  • NeoDragonNeoDragon Member Posts: 169
    @NeoDragon
    You're right. Totally forgot about that^^ ... But I always play human chars (because the 'identification' and therefore the immersion is higher)

I have to admit that although I played many AD&D based video games I never read a book about the Forgotten Realms. In every game the mentioned problem is either handled poorly or left unsolved.

Just out of interest: How is this problem handled in the existing books ?

• IkonNavrosIkonNavros Member Posts: 227
    Well, i have to say PlayerxJaheira - since its the pairing me and a friend did play at the same time, but well, looking forward for trying out something different the second run :D
  • ShapiroKeatsDarkMageShapiroKeatsDarkMage Member Posts: 2,428
    @NeoDragon

But more important than that, the Forgotten Realms are full of HumanxElf couples.
    No wonder about that. Elves are smoking hot!
  • O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    Best couple for me? and Jaheira hands down.
  • recklessheartrecklessheart Member Posts: 692
    Personally I think Jahiera and the protagonist were the best couple; canonically they had the feeling of a longer history than the other characters. She was also respectably complex. While some people complained that she was temperamental or difficult, her reluctancies made her, for me, a credible and endearing romantic option.

Viconia was also a very good romance option, as she also had a history with the protagonist, and was the first (and best) 'alienated' evil character. Her estrangement from society due to her heritage and failure to befriends others was what made her evil - malice bred from the actions of others, not from her racial background.

Anomen and Aerie were much more simplistic. Both required the protagonist to be 'nice'. As long as you were nice, you didn't have to do much else. There was very little accomplishment or rapport in either, I felt. If you took the CN route with Anomen, it was a little more interesting, however it only made him a less appealing romantic option that he already was if you allowed him to undergo this character development.
  • NWN_babaYagaNWN_babaYaga Member Posts: 732
    Me and Viconia fo sure!
  • AndreaColomboAndreaColombo Member Posts: 5,526
    That's a tough call. I think I'll have to go with the deeply tormented love story between Joneleth Irenicus and Ellesime, and a little something I like to call "pathos".
  • TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    That's a tough call. I think I'll have to go with the deeply tormented love story between Joneleth Irenicus and Ellesime, and a little something I like to call "pathos".
    I actually read that as "photos".
  • Space_hamsterSpace_hamster Member Posts: 950
    Minsc and the witch
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    Montaron and Faldorn.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,316
    Charname and Aerie. Although if it had been an option I would have totally gone with Charname and Edwina. Not sure how that would work though...
  • willmcclure72willmcclure72 Member Posts: 16
    Imoen + My main Gurl hehe :D
  • DrugarDrugar Member Posts: 1,566
    Bhaal + half the women on the sword coast.

He's such a playa.
  • WinthalWinthal Member Posts: 366
    I simply cannot bring myself to even attempt the Jaheira romance.. it just feels wrong on so many levels. First off, I tend to see Jaheira as more of a big sister/motherly type of character, especially with the way you meet her and Khalid right after your foster father dies. They step in and become your guardians, which makes sense, Jaheira is alot older and more experienced than you so it feels fitting to have that type of relationship. Secondly, uhm.. Khalid just died? Maybe if a few years pass before you get all lovey-dovey and/or hot and bothered, but I'm pretty sure the romance starts a few days or a week or so after Khalid's death - this clearly is in violation of the forgotten realms bro code (TM). My final gripe is Jaheira's cosmetic changes from BG1 to 2. She looked alot more appealing (in my eyes) in BG1, maybe more of a half-elven vibe there tho than pure elf, but yeah.

The Aerie romance wasn't bad once she stopped whining about her godamned wings every second, she seemed especially fond of talking right as the party was being assaulted by hordes monsters:

PC: "Hold the line! They are almost upon us... hold! Hoooold! ...NOW stri..."
    Aerie: "My wings..have been clipped..."
    PC: "Uhm, Aerie, this isn't exactly a good time"
    Aerie: "I dream of flying again... but I can't.. I'm a horrible ugly ugly cripple, you can't possibly love someone as damaged as me!"
    PC: "No, no, Aerie, you're very cute! - I mean, I'm not saying I have a weird fetish about mutilated elves or anything.. uhm.. on second thought, can this wait? The Umberhulks are like, right there!"
    Aerie: "Umberhulks!!! It's always Umberhulks or demi-god-liches with you! *sob*"
  • Daedalus87mDaedalus87m Member Posts: 92
    edited July 2012
    Minsc + Edwina

or well... if she wouldn't threaten him with fireballs :D
  • RedcoatRedcoat Member Posts: 31
    Jaheira's is just a bit...iffy...for me. Given that she's been groomed as his guardian, and presented as sort of a mother figure, it simply feels wrong to treat her like a love interest. And why is it that BioWare seems to feel that "dead spouse" is a good lead-in to romance? It seems like there's someone with a dead wife or husband in every one of their games.

CHARNAME + Viconia: Well, this is probably the best-written of the bunch, but it's one of those "Hate you! Love you! Hate you! Love you!" style of romance that I utterly abhor.

I generally like CHARNAME + Aerie, once she gets over feeling helpless, that is. Though that whole bit where she gets pregnant feels a bit forced...couldn't that sort of thing have been reserved for the ending slides?
  • ShapiroKeatsDarkMageShapiroKeatsDarkMage Member Posts: 2,428
    ''Forget my wings. I rather have you.''<3
  • AndreaColomboAndreaColombo Member Posts: 5,526
    edited July 2012
    I actually read that as "photos".
    If I had even a smidget of Photoshop proficiency, I would doctor a picture of the Tour Eiffel to include Irenicus and Ellesime and post it here as an answer. It would be positively smartass. The day I learn some Photoshop will always be too late!