Skip to content

Would you like to see a hunger and thirst mechanic added to the game?

RhinjavarRhinjavar Member Posts: 23
Good ev'n, gentlebeings! I pose to thee a question of the utmost roleplaying importance: when did CHARNAME last enjoy a hearty meal? This game is one of unparalleled immersion with plenty of wonderful roleplaying elements. However, one thing that always irked me was the severe food shortage afflicting the Sword Coast. I mean, you could wander into a tavern and have a drink -- but what about food? There was nothing on the menu! No bread, cheese, mutton -- nothing! Worse yet, I never knew if CHARNAME was chomping at the gills for some grub, or if he was already stuffed full of roast kobold! It was all left up to my imagination, which is great for roleplaying purposes, but I think the idea would do well as an actual part of the game.

With that in mind, I always thought it would be fun to include a hunger and thirst mechanic that impacts your abilities if not kept under control. As it already stands, you are penalized for not sleeping on a regular basis, and if you drink too much then you'll find yourself a wee bit tipsy. What then are the possibilities of taking it a step further by adding the necessity for food -- little travel rations you can put into your inventory, or proper meals that you can eat while resting at a tavern -- along with a simple, but appropriate hunger effect? If you don't eat, perhaps your total weight allowance drops to reflect fatigue, or your CON score might receive a -1 to show your low energy. Eating would of course neutralize these temporary penalties. The same would apply for drinking, which could be accomplished by carrying a waterskin. I realize that, for story purposes, the game assumes you spend time eating and drinking whenever you rest. However, I think it would be a nice touch to have such a feature separate, much like when playing tabletop "Dungeons and Dragons". It would certainly make you more wary of wandering away from town while ill-equipped!

What say you, friends?
  1. Would you like to see a hunger and thirst mechanic added to the game?243 votes
    1. Yea!
      19.75%
    2. Nay!
      60.91%
    3. Dost thou mock me? Away with you, beggar!
      19.34%
Post edited by JuliusBorisov on

Comments

• casezulucasezulu Member Posts: 11
    I said Nay but I would be more accepting of this feature if it were handled by just one or two clicks like sleeping. I would annoy me to have to manage the hunger and thirst levels of each character individually.
  • BytebrainBytebrain Member Posts: 602
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    There was a game I played back in the 90s called Realmz, which included food rations as part of the resting mechanic. Basically, if you had food rations, you would use up roughly one a day, and that would allow you to gain benefits from resting. If you didn't have food rations, you'd get no benefits from resting.

So you could set it so that resting consumes one "Ration" item per party member, and that resets the Fatigue timer--and if you don't have any Rations, it doesn't reset; so if you're fatigued and you have no food, you stay fatigued.

But inventory management is already cumbersome as it is. I wouldn't want to add food to that.
  • Space_hamsterSpace_hamster Member Posts: 950
    It would be a challenge to play the entire game drunk. ;)
  • RhinjavarRhinjavar Member Posts: 23
    edited November 2012
    Bytebrain said:
    Ah ha! I was not able to find such a thing, but thank you for bringing it to my attention. It would seem, however, that I am alone in my thinking, so 'tis of no consequence. Alas, I shall retreat back to my solitary dream.
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    Maybe in Baldurs gate 3 as an optional mode.
    Just doesn't suit the invetory sizes in bg1.
    ajwz said:

Maybe in Baldurs gate 3 as an optional mode.
    Just doesn't suit the invetory sizes in bg1.

Ya know, I don't really think it'd be an issue for inventory space. Trail rations could be stackable like arrows, bolts, and bullets. They'd only take up one inventory slot, and only one party member would need to carry them for the entire group to eat. One person could hold a stack -- say six -- and when the group decides to eat, they are automatically divided among all members (one trail ration per member) and the entire party would be fed. That's a fairly clean method, no?
  • BaggerBagger Member Posts: 144
    I wouldn't mind if it was optional!
  • HexHammerHexHammer Member Posts: 288
    Per se I like the idea, but it just becomes annoying in the long run. Played lots of "food games" over the year, just didn't cut it for me.
  • reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    Same reason I don't want crafting, weapon sharpening and armor repair. Realistic, yes. Tedious, double yes.
  • ZeckulZeckul Member Posts: 1,036
    A repetitive chore that provides no benefit except for avoiding penalties is not a good game mechanic. The necessity to sleep is not the same as sleeping also renews abilities and allows memorizing spells. Sleeping provides tangible benefits to the player; eating, as described, would not.
    edited November 2012
    Zeckul said:

A repetitive chore that provides no benefit except for avoiding penalties is not a good game mechanic. The necessity to sleep is not the same as sleeping also renews abilities and allows memorizing spells. Sleeping provides tangible benefits to the player; eating, as described, would not.

This is true, but I did not wish to over-complicate the system. Perhaps bonuses might be applied to eating in the form of regaining hitpoints or temporarily improving saving throws to show the character's renewed energy and spirit? A hearty meal can go a long way in boosting performance and morale!
  • MoomintrollMoomintroll Member Posts: 1,498
    edited November 2012
    Do you think Illithid tastes like squid?

I bet giant spider legs are yummy too!
  • trinittrinit Member Posts: 705
    it would be like sims 1,2 and 3: a novelty for 10 minutes and a constant "bladder, hunger,fun, sleep" choir afterwards.
    i want to be entertained while playing the game, not do the entertaining for sprites :/
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    In one particularly drunken late night pen and paper session I remember our party decided to try find out if myconids were hallucinogenic
  • LMTR14LMTR14 Member Posts: 165
    I'm absolutely for adding anything that increases realism. Should not impact the flow of the game too much of course, though.
  • LMTR14LMTR14 Member Posts: 165
    the might & magic series has food, for example. no food and you can't rest
    See, I don't understand the aversion to adding such a mechanic even if it were optional. It's not tedious as it can be accomplished with only a few clicks, and half the system already exists with the bonuses/penalties for sleep. Why not complete what's already there, or else strip it away entirely? The resting mechanic need not include sleep as you can take an extended rest in "Dungeons and Dragons" without actually sleeping. The penalty for refusing to sleep in "Baldur's Gate" seems rather out of place alone, but it would make more sense to complement it with a hunger and thirst mechanic otherwise it's not really necessary. It's like applying bonuses and penalties for having a high or low STR score, but not adding any modifiers for DEX or CON. What's the point of having just the one mechanic? This sort of thing is in no way a reflection of "The Sims" series as they are not the only games to pioneer the idea. Eating/drinking/sleeping has existed as a mechanic in "Dungeons and Dragons" for a very long time -- way before "The Sims" series -- and remember that "Baldur's Gate" uses "Dungeons and Dragons" rulesets. All that this would be doing is bringing "Baldur's Gate" closer to actual "Dungeons and Dragons", which I think is a marvelous idea.
  • SeyedSeyed Member Posts: 1
    Yes, please.. It will be awesome & gives a nice touch to the game.. At least making it Optional..
    At any rate, if we say it eventually happen, and you have the possibility to either choose it or leave it, then everyone will get what they want. Will that hurt?
    You could thereafter add some benefits when you feel stuffed. That could have some influence into tactical matters as well, and as Rhinajvar refers to, that it well bring us closer, to the original D&D game.
  • butcheredbutchered Member Posts: 16
    I like the idea, but if the barman tries to sell me roast kobold I'm outta there!
    Indeed =D
  • ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345
    Generally yes, but there's a fine line. You want a system that's not so marginal that you can simply ignore it, but also not a system that turns into a painstaking minigame of inventory management and just clicking through each character once every time you rest in order to be done with it. It's actually a significant design challenge to come up with mechanics that feel just right in this regard.
  • DrugarDrugar Member Posts: 1,566
    Yes.
    But only if it's optional.

I like the idea of being deep into a dungeon and not only worrying about running out of spells but also food and water. I can also imagine people not wanting to babysit their characters calory intake though, so optional is a good idea.

Also; I've enjoyed games where this was implemented, Fallout: New Vegas' Hardcore mode and Realms of Arcania come to mind, but those games have places where you're often stranded in the middle of nowhere. Realms of Arcania has you trekking through wilderness for days and supplies Foraging skills and Hunting Skills for your characters to gain food. New Vegas lets you cook what you kill and find food in old bombed supermarkets (200 years after nuclear war, I didn't say it made sense).
    Baldur's Gate is small scaled; you're never more than a day's travel from a town. Also, there are half a dozen D&D spells that summon food, making the entire requirement obsolete and simply annoying (since anything that requires a simple click to remove isn't exactly an added challenge).

I like the mechanic, it adds realism. But Baldur's Gate is probably not the game for it.
    Icewind Dale...probably better.
  • MoomintrollMoomintroll Member Posts: 1,498
    I could really see that in IWD, yeti burgers for all! or even migo moussaka with an abominable sloe flan to follow.
    For real though, I like the idea of it in IWD, as Drugar suggested.
  • JariahxSynnJariahxSynn Member Posts: 67
    We already have to sleep so why not.
  • MungriMungri Member Posts: 1,645
    Another person with a bad idea, Away with you beggar! Hmmppphhh.
    Mungri said:

Another person with a bad idea, Away with you beggar! Hmmppphhh.

Ah ha! A most insightful comment!