Skip to content

More NPC interjections

James_MJames_M Member Posts: 140
The NPC’s are a significant reason that BG shines and is so replayable, year after year! The general suggestion is to work on the joinable NPCs' personalities, interjections and romances. This will result in even higher acclaim and will keep players coming back for more! I am not talented enough to suggest something “good” here, but a professional developer would be…

Suggestions:

Consider to add more NPC interjections - the more comical the better!

To that effect, the protagonist could be able to talk to party members by using the F2 “Talk” command.

In BG2, NPC's that were in a player's party in BG1 could reminisce (humorously, of course) about the good times in BG1.

[comments not copied over]

Comments

• TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    I think a lot of people would like to see this happen, though, if I'm not mistaken, @TrentOster has already mentioned that any new content for old characters will be limited to the new areas.
  • BhryaenBhryaen Member Posts: 2,874
    @Tanthalas I read a post from Scott elsewhere on the forum that the only sure way to get text dialogue with the old NPCs is to have them interact with the new NPCs and content. But, yeah, this has been addressed. *shrugs* Nice idea though...
  • pacekpacek Member Posts: 92
    I think it's a great shame that Overhaul have been barred from expanding the current NPCs. A great opportunity lost.
  • Ingwarr23Ingwarr23 Member Posts: 27
    Hope there would decent interactions( dialogues) not like in Bioware games (gays, lesbian, gays...)
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    @Tanthalas I read a post from Scott elsewhere on the forum that the only sure way to get text dialogue with the old NPCs is to have them interact with the new NPCs and content. But, yeah, this has been addressed. *shrugs* Nice idea though...
    If they make an arrow in the ground in a new area and then get the party talking about the "new content" (the arrow) oh and they could also keep talking about the current situation and how's it feel to be getting those powers and hey look at those mines and whatnot. Same thing no?
  • KhalDragonKhalDragon Member Posts: 4
    There is already a mod out there in which the BG NPC talk with protagonist, interact with each other and also have some nice interjections to events of some relevance. I think this mod could be incorporated in the enhanced edition, since this one and the unfinished busines are the best ones for me.
    edited June 2012
    Although I do like the BG1 NPC mod, I think that Overhaul is looking more into adding mods that fix bugs or add more gameplay options, than mods that add quests or NPC dialogue.

I kind of agree with this stance since user generated mods like these are a bit more controversial to implement (not everyone likes them) so I think its ok if they just make an effort to make sure that these mods either work with BGEE or can be easily modified to work.
    Post edited by Tanthalas on
  • BhryaenBhryaen Member Posts: 2,874
    @smeagolheart That might be an interesting cue-in for new dialogue, but whatever "source" is preventing changes will probably not be persuaded by that. I believe the parameters within which we're attempting to negotiate regarding old NPC dialogue/ comments only include interactions with new areas and new NPCs. Not sure how much leeway there is to add dialogue to old NPCs in old areas. This was the most conclusive statement by Trent Oster on the matter from the Beamdog BGEE thread:
    1. Altering the dialog of the old joinable characters
    -We can't do this
    2. Altering the dialog of encounterable npc's in the campaign, including minor ones
    -small scale text only changes are possible.
    3. Adding new encounters to the old maps
    -possible
    4. Relocating encounters on the old maps
    -possible, but at risk of introducing bugs
    5. Retuning difficulty of old encounters, at the level of content rather than engine
    -possible, again content tweaking risks adding bugs.
    6. Adding/removing/moving gear in old encounters/npcs/containers.
    -Again, possible, but adding risks adding bugs.

Our stance is to try and avoid too much meddling in the original content and focus our efforts on the new content. We're updating the resolution, the UI, cooking in some bug fixes, fixing multiplayer and trying to make mods play nicer. That's the majority of our effort in the main game for the initial release. We're doing some experiments around visual improvements, but so far the gains are not in line with the effort.
    The new content is another beast altogether. We've talked briefly about Adventure X and Y, but they are very different concepts, one a stand-alone and the other linked to the storyline.
    @Bhryaen Very detailed but not very detailed at the same time. I think they could use #3 for the interjections we all would like, basically bg2 style "what's going on and how do I feel about it" interjections. They could add an minor NPC or minor item or whatever and use that as a springboard to some extent. I don't know what resistance they are being held up against but it wouldn't be altering the dialog of the old joinable characters, it would be adding dialogue to the old joinable characters. It depends on what they can do as far as adding dialogue to those characters.
    edited June 2012
    @Smeagolheart you said it: there's no need to alter dialogue in any way. Adding banters and such would surely come under the umbrella of additional content in old areas, not changing original content.
  • DazzuDazzu Member Posts: 950
    I don't see how changing text is impossible. Modders change that stuff all the time.
  • KoreKore Member Posts: 245
    I don't see how changing text is impossible. Modders change that stuff all the time.
    It's quite possibly written into their contracts.
  • DazzuDazzu Member Posts: 950
    That's a silly thing to contract up.
  • gesellegeselle Member Posts: 325
    Lets hope altering doesn't imply expanding; It would be amazing to see how Shar-Teel would react to Kivan, Ajantis or Coran, and party interaction makes this game a lot more enjoyable
    Unfortunately, from what Trent has said, it does seem that expanding is also out of the question. They apparently can only add dialogue to the old NPCs when reacting to stuff in the new adventures.
    Let's just hope they don't break the NPC project mod.
    Hey just saw this post on twitter.

"@frabjousdave In BG:EE there's a little new dialogue for the original core game and lots more for upcoming content TBA."

What does this mean? We will get a bit of new dialogue for the original core game.