Skip to content

A Question on Petrification

Reading the various tips for new players that have been posted I've noted that if the main character gets petrified (by basilisks, for example), then it's game over. Does this apply at all difficulty settings, or just the higher ones? Is petrification only permanent on the higher settings?

Comments

• TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    Petrification is permanent, and will cause a game over if it happens to the main character, on any difficulty.
  • VnavekulVnavekul Member Posts: 181
    I wouldn't worry too much about it. Petrified? Reload. Don't want to reload that often? Shield yourself against the effects of their gaze.
  • TetraploidTetraploid Member Posts: 252
    Petrification of your main character will always cause game over, but it's easily protected against (level 1 mage spell will do the trick)! If I suspect basilisks may be around, I protect two or three decent fighters and send them in ahead of the rest of the group to sort them out.
  • ankhegankheg Member Posts: 546
    Try summon some skeletons. They are quite immune.:)
  • CaptRoryCaptRory Member Posts: 1,660
    I usually have the spell to make skeletons handy but I often don't have Protection from Petrification handy. So the skele-blocking trick is one I use most.
  • DogmatixDogmatix Member Posts: 25
    Something also worth remembering is that if your love interest got petrified/killed/imprisoned/kicked out of group in Baldur's Gate 2, the romance was over. I don't know how these enhanced editions will handle it though.
  • raelcariraelcari Member Posts: 133
    edited November 2012
    also, keep in mind that basilisks are rare mobs in BG1... right off the bat I can only think of X places where you encounter them, so it's not like you're gonna get petrified all the time.

edit: realized i might have put a spoiler here
  • CaptRoryCaptRory Member Posts: 1,660
    There are specific potions for Petrification Immunity, and it's not a bad idea to carry some Stone to Flesh scrolls to unpetrify any party members or victims that get petrified.
  • ankhegankheg Member Posts: 546
    edited November 2012
    it's called potion of mirrored eyes...
    but don't waste them on basilisk they are for Aec'Letec
  • taltamirtaltamir Member Posts: 288

Petrification of your main character will always cause game over, but it's easily protected against (level 1 mage spell will do the trick)! If I suspect basilisks may be around, I protect two or three decent fighters and send them in ahead of the rest of the group to sort them out.

Which level 1 spell?
  • HeindrichHeindrich Member, Moderator Posts: 2,959
    taltamir said:

Which level 1 spell?
    Protection from Petrification. It's pretty common.
  • taltamirtaltamir Member Posts: 288
    edited September 2013

taltamir said:

Which level 1 spell?
    Protection from Petrification. It's pretty common.
    Only 2 stores in BG1 sell it and I have never seen it as a drop. However, once I looked it up I went and bought a copy for my mage to learn and memorize, very useful.

The GREEN protection from petrification scrolls are semi common drop, but those are not a level 1 spell you can learn but a special consumable