Skip to content

Let us make the perfect Avatar!

Some of us really obsess over creating the perfect-looking character. After all, this is an RPG and defining the role to the last detail is part of the fun. On that note, customizing character appearance is something I think BG could do a little better.

Now, I'm fully aware that the BG engine has limits in what it can do. However, many of the customization options I'm looking for already exist in the engine. I don't need to sculpt my face or shape my hair layers (I have the Elder Scrolls series for that). The customization options I'm looking for simply need to be made more accessible so a character editor isn't required to use them.

Here are some easy ways appearance customization could be enhanced:

1. Give the option of choosing your class appearance upon character creation. If we make a Archer, can we make it look like a Thief instead? If I am a fighter and I dual to a mage, can I please look like a mage? (mentioned in http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/6074/multi-class-character-appearance#latest)

2. Give the option of choosing your racial appearance. I love dwarves, but I'm tired of always playing one with a great bushy beard. Sometimes I make myself look like a halfling just because I want to be clean-shaven. Sometimes I play an elf when I want to look like a thin human.

3. Improved colour selection. The game seems to include a wide array of colours and shades that are not selectable in the standard customize colours section. This could really help make a standout character. (mentioned in http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/6218/improve-color-selection#latest)

Comments

• KirkorKirkor Member Posts: 700
    edited November 2012
    I agree with everything BUT the racial appearance. Dwarves without a beard are like man without his ekhm... "gun". They care for their beards like it was some treasure. They wouldn't let anyone to shave their beards (unless they are hipster-dwarves).
    With such "bad" graphics, you have to distinct races somehow. If you let everyone look whatever they like, it would be a tragedy.

"Lets make human mage look like dwarf warrior. He is just short hairy man, wearing warrior tunic."
    Just no ;)

As for class appearance - it would be ok, to some extent. Only appearance between similar classes should be available (apperance between casters, or between thief and ranger or between warrior and paladin).
  • ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345
    Points 1 and 2 can be handled by the avatar morphing script included in the tweak pack (http://www.gibberlings3.net/bg2tweaks/index.php) - it lets you select any race or class, with the exception of monk. And you can do it at any point in the game, in case you change your mind.

Point 3 does take an editor to be fully customizable though, that option might be nice to have ingame.
  • IgnatiusIgnatius Member Posts: 624
    That would be a massive improvement. Game immersion and aesthetics is one of the reasons I love BG so much, this would only add depth and connection with characters. Can anyone explain once again, why it would be so difficult to actually slightly change the avatars such as having the choice (say, for a human) to have a bald, bearded, big, short or thin - looking character? is it because the "original art work has been lost forever" and therefore, not even a slight addition can be made without re-drawing everything?
  • IchigoRXCIchigoRXC Member Posts: 1,001
    Ignatius said:

That would be a massive improvement. Game immersion and aesthetics is one of the reasons I love BG so much, this would only add depth and connection with characters. Can anyone explain once again, why it would be so difficult to actually slightly change the avatars such as having the choice (say, for a human) to have a bald, bearded, big, short or thin - looking character? is it because the "original art work has been lost forever" and therefore, not even a slight addition can be made without re-drawing everything?

The 3d models that the sprites were made from are lost. To remake the sprites would take a lot of time and money, because anything they added now would stand out like a sore thumb. Because of this they would need to model every Race, NPC, monster villager etc etc and then give them all animations etc.

If it was ever to happen, (lets say they make models for BG3) and then retroactively update the sprites for us with new shiny ones, then there would be the chance for change. But expecting them to redo every single model in this game is pretty much unthinkable.

Though... if there are any 3D modellers that like charity cases...

• IgnatiusIgnatius Member Posts: 624
    @IchigoRXC: tahnks a lot for taking the time to explain.
  • Sese79Sese79 Member Posts: 478
    I agree with you, I created a post for druids to have the possibility to choose hoods for them here: http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/7057/please-give-us-hood-for-mage-and-druid-too#latest
  • Sese79Sese79 Member Posts: 478
    For the most cases there is no need to create new 3d models or change the sprites. We just wish to choose between already existing sprites.