Skip to content

fighter/thief and party help

Hi everybody. It is a day before we get the game, and i have been thinking about what class i should be. I dont have much experience, having borrowed a copy and played for the first time last summer, and I am 17 so it came out when I was 3. I thought i should ask somebody who is experienced if the fighter/thief would be a good class to go with. From what I understand I could do anything that each class can do, but thieving skill can't be done in armor. Are there any downsides though? Would it be better to multi or duel class? If I should duel class, which should I use first and to what level before switching? Also, I am hoping to have a party of Imoen, Minsc, Jaheira, Khaliid, Rasaad, and Neera (i will kill off dynaheir) obviously, this is one too many, so who would you recommend not bringing. I want Rasaad and Neera because they are new and I want to give them a chance and go to their areas, so it is pretty much up to the others, and I like all those characters. I think it will be easier in BG2 to make a party, especially with me being a thief so I would have that covered. Tell me what you think I should do, because I am young and just don't know much at all about D&D and dont have time to read through a ruleset, I just ended up going with the flow and won. I just catch onto things through experience. Though I never beat BG2, I will beat it's enhanced edition, and BG2 is the main reason I want this class with its lack of thieves.

Also, what would Rasaad play as? In his story he was pick pocketing, but do we know if he could do all the thief stuff? If so, I dont know if I really need this class. Thank you in advance for any help :)

Comments

• MurrayConfederacyMurrayConfederacy Member Posts: 188
    The general consensus is that dual-classing is better than multi-classing and single-classing in the long run, however with the XP cap this becomes different.

I also agree with your method of learning D&D, I actually started learning by playing NWN when I was 9 or 10 and then when I found BG I played that: it took some getting used to but I got there.

I also beat BG2 for the first time the other week (still haven't finished TOB yet).

I doubt Rasaad could be a pickpocket, although with the new UI it may be that they managed to change the hard-coded stuff so there could be an option for him. Rasaad is a monk, which in BG doesn't really become that powerful until later into BG2 hence the "Is Rasaad going to suck?" thread. I would say that Rasaad may be redundant however in saying that NPC's are usually given powerful items that make them worthwhile having in your party, so Rasaad could turn out to be overpowered.

Let us know if you need anymore help.
  • CoryNewbCoryNewb Member Posts: 1,330
    @MurrayConfederacy, it has been a very long gap since my last game of D&D (computer or IRL) so I know I am going to be rusty. I am thinking dwarven fighter/theif, any tips I should write down? What level should I dual class? What skills are an absolute must? (detect traps, shadow walk, and lock pick?)

I think this is going to take a few tries to get decent at this again....
  • CaptRoryCaptRory Member Posts: 1,660
    Dwarves can't Dual Class. They can MultiClass.
  • CoryNewbCoryNewb Member Posts: 1,330
    CaptRory said:

Dwarves can't Dual Class. They can MultiClass.

Oh dear...Then I suppose I will have to figure something else out :(

First charname will probably just be a mess.

• CaptRoryCaptRory Member Posts: 1,660
    There's nothing wrong with a Multiclass Dwarf Fighter/Rogue. It just means you'll be leveling up Fighter and Thief classes simultaneously. He'll be a very smashy rogue.
  • Time4TiddyTime4Tiddy Member Posts: 262
    Fighter/Thief is a very solid choice, durable and high damage, with a lot of utility. Everyone is going to tell you to dual-class, but the problem is that if you plan to take this character into BG2, you will want to dual class much later than BG1 will allow you to.

Multi-classing, on the other hand, has very few downsides in BG1 for either of these classes (unlike casters who lose spell levels). You easily get enough thief levels to max out the needed thief skills. Also, multi-classing will allow you to play a race that gets some really nice bonuses, like elf or dwarf.

As far as your party make-up, keep in mind you don't have to keep everyone for the entire run. You could swap people out as needed - for example, you don't have to have Rasaad and Neera at the same time, you could run with one, then the other, then keep the one you like better. Imoen is one you can drop and re-add at will with no issues. Khalid and Jaheira will come and go as long as you are playing "good" and keep your rep high.
  • swnmcmlxiswnmcmlxi Member Posts: 297
    Welcome to the forum, @ChildofBhaal599, I gather there is time for some... experiments?
    -The F/T is an effective PC class; I have often used it.
    -Thieves can use leather armours.
    -I never play as a human, so I multiclass. It works fine. I'm sure dual class can be marginally better in some respects (I'm sure a forum search could yield you much useful information), so I cannot really give advice there. But I would guess that in that case, starting as a fighter would be a good thing, considering the extra hit points you get and the better THAC0 (to hit probability).
    -Khalid can make a solid tank, particularly if you spam him with armour class decreasing stuff (good armour, rings, amulets). The rest of the party could focus on ranged weapons (very effective in BG1) and spells. Your PC and Jaheira can support in melee if necessary. This could make Minsc redundant in your party (although he is a very funny character), and you wouldn't necessarily have to kill Dyna.
    -Consider making your PC an elf (+1 dex, +1 to hit with bows and longswords).
    -With your PC and Imoen both having thieving skills you could 'split the skills' between you, at least during the first half of the game, one concentrating on sneak/backstab, the other on traps and locks. I prefer to have my PC do the sneaky stuff as I like to lead from the front.
    -Having a wild mage as your only arcane caster could possibly be risky due to the... side effects (although I would certainly risk it), so maybe you could consider an FTM PC; thus, you could also be a backup mage. The drawback is slightly slower skill progression and that you cannot use leather armour (well, you can, but your spells might fail) and are restricted to robes, bracers, and bling. But protective spells can compensate for that. And there is also an elven armour somewhere in BGEE that you could use.

• ChildofBhaal599ChildofBhaal599 Member Posts: 1,781
    thank u all for the advice :)
    @swnmcmlxi well, it sounds like neera would most likely not be with me. mages aren't that great in bg1 anyway i guess. i will probably focus on rasaad, and get her for her quests and switch back. i am starting to rethink all of this, however. i think it would be a major annoyance to take off my armor to use thieving stuff, because i am still looking to make my pc more of a warrior rather than thief. i think i will just go with a pure class and deal with yoshimo in bg2, though i didnt really like him much. who knows, maybe bg2ee will introduce a new thief to compensate for the lack of them in that game. this is a class i could think of in the future, though. i dont plan on playing once and deleting it :)