Skip to content

Isn't "Baldur's Gate" the wrong name for the series?

I mean, it makes sense that the first one is called "Baldur's Gate" but "Baldur's Gate II" has absolutely nothing to do with the town of Baldur's Gate whatsoever, save for the fact that CHARNAME passed through there on his/her path to ascension as a Bhaalspawn.

Comments

• HexHammerHexHammer Member Posts: 288
    ..but you can find Baldur's gear, whatever little it has to do with the series ..............!
  • salierisalieri Member Posts: 245
    Wow. I wonder why nobody ever noticed that before? Or perhaps they did -_-
  • neur0neur0 Member Posts: 83
    That's why BG2 is called "Shadows of Amn"
    "BG2" simply indicates the series. Like how there can be a Final Fantasy VII etc.
  • ScarsUnseenScarsUnseen Member Posts: 170
    Sauron has shockingly little focus in Lord of the Rings, and Dragon Age: Origins is named for its introductory sequence, which has little influence on the bulk of the game. Besides, how well do you think Shadows of Amn would sell to a crowd that really enjoyed a game called Baldur's Gate? Probably not so well aside from those weirdos who obsess over video games in internet forums. *cough*

Sequels tend to sell better than their predecessors for a reason. Why would you throw away all that free marketing?
  • ZemeZeme Member Posts: 19
    Its obvious the game needs to have same title. You play the same character almost right after the events of the first one.
  • salierisalieri Member Posts: 245

would of been better as 'Legends of Boo'

Dislike
  • ChnumChnum Member Posts: 1
    Because it's a sequel and most people wouldn't really have known that if they were to suddenly change the name.
    I mean, people knew what Baldurs Gate was. In that case, from a marketing standpoint, which should attract more customers: Baldur's Gate 2 or an entirely new title?
  • TyrielTyriel Member Posts: 20

would of been better as 'Legends of Boo'

I want it i want it now!
  • DaelricDaelric Member Posts: 266

Sequels tend to sell better than their predecessors for a reason.

There seems to be something wrong with that statement, but... I JUST can't put my finger on it...
  • SouldancertnSouldancertn Member Posts: 45
    Technically, if you played the tutorial, you got to visit Baldur's Gate... but who ever plays optional tutorials anyhow...
  • diggerbdiggerb Member Posts: 132

Technically, if you played the tutorial, you got to visit Baldur's Gate... but who ever plays optional tutorials anyhow...

I will always check out a tutorial but will only go through it if it is built on actual gameplay, as was the BG2 tut. If it's just static text and images, fuck it, I'll just go play the game.

• FouneFoune Member Posts: 53
    Baldur's Gate is just too epic a game name to change.
  • DeathMachineMiyagiDeathMachineMiyagi Member Posts: 120
    Interesting fact: way way way way back, when BG1 was in development, it was being developed under the name 'Iron Throne.' I distinctly remember that.
  • reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    That's because (CHARNAME)'s Tale doesn't sell as well. The name of the city rocks!
  • Son_of_ImoenSon_of_Imoen Member Posts: 1,806
    edited November 2012
    And Bhaalspawn epic would be giving the clue away straight away.
  • ScarsUnseenScarsUnseen Member Posts: 170
    @Maciak87 I was referring to the "Origins" part.
  • State_LemmingState_Lemming Member Posts: 375
    And the Mass Effect has nothing to do with reapers.
  • Space_hamsterSpace_hamster Member Posts: 950
    Candlekeep: There and Back Again
  • HexHammerHexHammer Member Posts: 288
    To name a serie it will indicate what the audience can expect, and not nessesarily the excat nature of the content. It will be a mark for fans to let them know that the next game with the name tag will, have many of similar features, but only altered in minute ways thus still in a reasonable way be the same.

Looking at cars, one will always recognize different cars which continue their traits and minute details, even though no successor are the same, the spirit remains.
  • LordsDarkKnight185LordsDarkKnight185 Member Posts: 615
    You think that's something? Think about Neverwinter Nights...and how many modules are not based in Neverwinter.
  • crawlkillcrawlkill Member Posts: 71

You think that's something? Think about Neverwinter Nights...and how many modules are not based in Neverwinter.

and how much of the game takes place during the day! It's just shameful.

seriously it's called Baldur's Gate 2 because you play the same protagonist ofc. BG2 probably has the distinction of being the least "well we deliberately left it open for a sequel!" sequel of all time. if they'd known what Baldur's Gate was gonna be, maybe they'd've called it Time of Troubles or something. I'm glad they didn't.
  • catchthefloatycatchthefloaty Member Posts: 13
    i know the games old, but seriously... spoiler tag the title.lol. granted i already knew this stuff. not everbody did.lol