Skip to content

Language Subforums Suggestion

RazorRazor Member Posts: 436
edited June 2012 in Português
I see language sections were added which is a good thing.

Portuguese should be written: Português.
Since all the other languages are written in their own language (and Portuguese is English).

I don't know if the posts in subforums like this should be in the "discussions" top posts what do you think? As they may fill it up too much (all the languages mixed).

Ps. I have no wish to start discussions about which country makes more money etc. But I think we all agree Portuguese is the language then (PT) (BR) determine which type of. But that is irrelevant to the forum because the purpose is that every portuguese speaking person to be able to use the forum.

Ps.. Sorry for the english thread in the Portuguese subforum but I meant well.
Post edited by Razor on

Comments

• TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    edited June 2012
    As a Portuguese myself:

While Brazilian Portuguese is indeed Portuguese, the vocabulary used in Brazil is pretty distinct from the vocabulary used in Portugal so it indeed makes sense to make that distinction.

Stuff translated for use in Brazil more often than not has a distinct translation than something intended for use in Portugal.

As for the name of the subforum. I assume that they might not have anyone that can actually speak Portuguese on their staff. I suggest that they use Português (BR) for the name of the subforum.

EDIT: Since that new topic appeared, they probably do have someone that can speak Portuguese on the staff.
  • CameronToferCameronTofer Administrator, Developer Posts: 279
    Thanks for the guidance. It'll take us a little bit to get everything right so please keep up the feedback.
  • RazorRazor Member Posts: 436
    edited June 2012
    @CameronTofer: It's a pleasure!

@Tanthalas: I'am sure they are different, as Portuguese from Angola is but the point is: If people from those countries come here they can all write and understand each other in Portuguese, there shouldnt be a need to specify.
    EDIT: Might be just a translator since there are some gramatical (a/o) errors, but it could be worse.

BTW Looks real nice thanks for updating guys!
    Post edited by Razor on
  • TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    @Razor
    Well, I guess my logic is that the Portuguese version is going to be in Brazilian Portuguese anyway, so the distinction made sense to me.
  • RazorRazor Member Posts: 436
    @Razor
    Well, I guess my logic is that the Portuguese version is going to be in Brazilian Portuguese anyway, so the distinction made sense to me.
    Ah yes, that is most likely. I mostly meant the forum.
    I don't know if the posts in subforums like this should be in the "discussions" top posts what do you think? May fill it up too much (all the languages mixed).
  • kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
    edited June 2012
    There's a huge differece betwen the portuguese language spoken in Portugal and Brasil, the language can be the same but the dialect of each country has a lot of specifications, there are words on Portugal that are not even used on Brasil and the same applies on the inverse.

Correct if i'm making a wrong affirmative, but it's pretty much like the australian english and the united state english.

A portuguese and a brasilian citizen can undestand each other dialect with not much problem, but much of the comunication is made by deduction as the language expressions are entirely unlike.

The Brasil virtual comsumption market today is far greater than Portugal virtual comsumption market, the southeast portion of Brasil, that is composed by Rio de Janeiro (where i am at the moment), São Paulo, Mina Gerais and Espirito Santo where concentrates a huge demographic index and consists in large part by metropolitan areas has a size like the Germany territory.

By itself the southeast region of Brasil justify this investment, although i have too say that we have lots of other developed metropolitan cities in Brasilia (Brasil capital), the south region composed of Parana, Rio Grande do Sul and Santa Catarina, some few cities of northeast portion of Brasil and the capital of each state of Brasil (I'm not a geographer, so i'm not an authority in political geography, but i am son of one ^^).

Focus on Portuguese (BR) language is not a pioneering attitude of beamdog, in fact Blizzard itself offer jobs at the moment to translaters of english/portuguese (BR) and the portuguese language of diablo III is Portuguese (BR).
  • BCFornarolliBCFornarolli Member Posts: 30
    Yeah, this is pretty much new stuff for both countries.

However, if we give a look at the English language reality towards games, we'll see that they could have dealt with the same issue – the colony overtook the original language reference worldwide.

We're living a similar process: although English is the original language from UK, the massive amount of game world spread is written/voiced in American English. Now - I'm no economist or anything alike - but, as @kamuizin pointed out, our country does consume more games than Portugal. Therefore, we'd think that a BR or any kind of specification is needed in a first moment. But, once again, when you're installing a game, we usually see "English" and that's it. I'm not saying that is fair... but, under the circumstances, I think that Portuguese as it is represents the same scenario. Hence, as it must occur with other English speakers, you gonna probably realize that it is a different Portuguese/English dialect you're used to when you're playing the game.

I just want to make clear that I do not agree with this lack of specification regarding both English and Portuguese languages; but I think it is gonna happen anyhow.

And, again, I’m not saying that one is greater than the other – that would be a linguistic heresy – it’s just an economic (therefore, temporary) reality.
  • ZafiroZafiro Member Posts: 436
    edited July 2012
    I myself i'm a latinist, and i might not agree with English as lingua franca, but i can't see myself playing a video game made in English in anything but English; i say everything should be experience(ideally) in the langauge that the game or book etc., and yes i can't read Dostoievski in Russian:P