Skip to content

It's 9.02 pm cet, why can't I play?

Comments

• gesellegeselle Member Posts: 325
    True, this shouldn't have happened in the first place. It was obvious demand is high, and focusing release to one time didn't help either. But still lets keep calm and burn some effigies, might help driving the bad spirits out.
  • MrSextonMrSexton Member Posts: 396
    The 100 mb of bugfixes should have been made available earlier today... Useless planning!!! Death to all Canadians I say, death!!!
  • ElendarElendar Member Posts: 831
    Spirits? I'd like some Spirits with my coke, please.
  • verdegreenverdegreen Member Posts: 32
    More Overhaul failing. First it was delaying at the eleventh hour in September, then it was the non-existent preorder bonus that never appeared, and now we are being asked to wait more on launch day while they bungle something else. Great customer service, we take your money and fail to deliver.
  • reshoggreshogg Member Posts: 4
    Don't hate on canadian D3 launch was just as bad and american where taking care of that one.
  • johnnydgoodjohnnydgood Member Posts: 38
    edited November 2012
    Ok, I got a message that a download was available with a big + on the right hand side. I pushed and guess what.........Nothing happened
  • BazwushBazwush Member Posts: 8
    the situation is sad... but i went through the hell of error 37 in diablo3, so i guess i can handle that!
  • csuzwcsuzw Member Posts: 48
    I expected the overload and probably not getting to play until a good few hours (if not the next day) after release but what annoys me about this is the client not giving any indication of whether it's trying to do anything. Do I just need to leave it or do I need to keep closing it and re-opening it until it starts downloading.
  • Y3kY3k Member Posts: 14
    Cmon guys...this is silly. No reason to flame for some hours - even a day! - of delay...Baldur's Gate is coming any time now! I propose a toast for the great game we're going to experience soon...
  • SpaceInvaderSpaceInvader Member Posts: 2,125
    In general, people should learn from their mistakes.
  • brainybrainy Member Posts: 3
    Lesson learned for me, never preorder again, especially from overhaul. I'm also starting to question the dev's iq - 100 mb patch when your server can't handle downloading the previous smaller ammount of data ? The patch could have clearly been delayed until tomorrow because the game was tested until now and it worked; am I right review sites who actually got to play the functioning game ?
  • ElendarElendar Member Posts: 831
    FALL ON MY SWORD WHILE YOU CAN, OVERHAUL!!!!!
    IT'S DOWNLOADING!!!!!!!!!!
  • gesellegeselle Member Posts: 325
    @Elendar don't dare me, I have two bottles of rum within arm's reach....

@johnnydgood yeah guess what, too many fat people try to move through the revolving door at the same time (love this analogy)
  • CadrosCadros Member Posts: 253
    Calm down folks, this is not unexpected a few hours either way will not affect whether this is a successful reboot of the game or not. It would be infeasible for beamdog to afford the hardware to deal with this one time spike in server load. As for customer service follow Trent's twitter for updates on the situation.
    omg, the downlader says it's going to take 43 days to download the patch. talking about slow. Oh, hold on, it says now 52 minutes till playtime.
  • verdegreenverdegreen Member Posts: 32
    @brainy
    brainy said:

Lesson learned for me, never preorder again, especially from overhaul. I'm also starting to question the dev's iq - 100 mb patch when your server can't handle downloading the previous smaller ammount of data ? The patch could have clearly been delayed until tomorrow because the game was tested until now and it worked; am I right review sites who actually got to play the functioning game ?

I couldn't agree more. While it is a small development studio the way they have lied about pre order bonus (nice little white lie; read sarcasm) and continually bungled PR and customer service I can tell you right now I am with you about not pre ordering with this company again. Yes, D3 launch was awful but Overhaul had an extra 2 months to complete the product and its evident now that they still can't deliver.

If this was a contractor working on your home I'm sure most of you would have fired them by now.
  • Arabus13Arabus13 Member Posts: 102
    It is written, "Previous Proper Planning Prevents P*** Poor Performance."
    Nope, 21 days again. :(
  • aeonsimaeonsim Member Posts: 6
    Heh reminds me of steam as it was in the early days. Predictable and annoying until the distributors got a bit of experience with big releases on a digital infrastructure they're going to screw up a few times!
  • JaxsbudgieJaxsbudgie Member Posts: 600
    Wait, you guys aren't in game yet? I've already finished Candlekeep, oh my god it's immense!
  • RavenXRavenX Member Posts: 86
    @Ashlspiess

Indeed. Thing is Beamdog and Overhaul are both too small to afford to rent the servers needed to make something like this go smoothly world wide. Same thing happened with D3 and Blizzard DOES have the money to rent 3rd party servers for updates and patches to make sure they have smooth launches, and yet they don't, because they're greedy sh*tbags.

The system could be made where everyone with internet around the world could have smooth downloads of anything. Companies and publishers who make games and have launches like this could "rent" 3rd party servers from 3rd party companies temporarily to make sure things like this go off without a hitch and yet they never do. I can't blame Overhaul or Beamdog for not being able to do this, but, I can blame the big companies that do it for no other reason than to save money when they're already making Millions in profit.
  • Y3kY3k Member Posts: 14
    Cadros said:

Calm down folks, this is not unexpected a few hours either way will not affect whether this is a successful reboot of the game or not. It would be infeasible for beamdog to afford the hardware to deal with this one time spike in server load. As for customer service follow Trent's twitter for updates on the situation.

pretty much the most reasonable post in this page. We're here to play a great game, not to play at a certain time no matter what! As Cadros stated, wouldn't you agree that it's totally stupid from Beamdog or Overhaul point of view to invest a lot of money in network hardware just to deal with this one time situation? Don't you remember what happened with diablo 3 release guys? And Blizz of course is much bigger...cmon =) let's have some patience...it won't change nothing in a few hours... :P

• M9ikeM9ike Member Posts: 13
    Well... I am still playing the waiting game, why not have some fun on the forum to ease the waiting... So, who is the hottest chick in Baldur's Gate? I vote Viconia.
  • JonelethIrenicusJonelethIrenicus Member Posts: 157
    Some people here need their diapers changed.
  • brainybrainy Member Posts: 3
    Aerie for me, by far.
  • MathuzzzMathuzzz Member Posts: 203
    Ahh. I´m sick of all this negativity and flaming because you can´t play the minute it comes out!
  • KortokKortok Member Posts: 165
    So many children with nothing better to do but complain about a budget videogame. Glad I have a career and can't be bothered by such insignificant matters. The game will come, just relax.
    Kortok said:

So many children with nothing better to do but complain about a budget videogame. Glad I have a career and can't be bothered by such insignificant matters. The game will come, just relax.

I 'm sorry, I have a career. Took the day off from work to play finding out it was playable at 11 pm and had to stop again because work was calling again the next day. Don't judge please!