Skip to content

Eaten by a dire wolf

I'm not exactly complaining because okay, I was being an idiot while fighting it, but are dire and dread wolves supposed to spawn on the first map outside of Candlekeep? They seem to pop up alone, so Imoen and I can handle them when I'm not being dumb, but I don't remember finding them so soon in the original game.

The new game-over video looks good, though :)

Comments

• DaelricDaelric Member Posts: 266
    Yeah, I remember the dire wolves from way-back-when.
  • CragspyderCragspyder Member Posts: 28
    Yep, I love Baldur's Gate but unfortunately it has always been ridiculously hard in some places. Like your Direwolf there in the first map (and you might only have Imoen and yourself, considering a first time player doesn't know about Montaron and Xzar, do they?), or Nimbul after you come back from the mines. Even kobolds in the mines will constantly one shot your characters. The only solution is to spam on that quick save button and keep a backup save just in case.
  • SharGuidesMyHandSharGuidesMyHand Member Posts: 2,580
    edited November 2012
    I honestly don't remember dire or dread wolves in the very first map - just regular wolves, and perhaps some bears.

EDIT: Were you traveling at night? Perhaps there is a difference between what kinds of monsters you meet at night and in the day.
  • darthchairdarthchair Member Posts: 191
    I don't remember dire wolves either. But I defeated it! First time! Yay!
  • siliconpsychosissiliconpsychosis Member Posts: 32
    I had Montaron, Tzar and Imoen, saw the dire wolf and ran like hell to the Friendly Arm Inn. Will have a sleepness night and confront the dire wolf when I have more courage :)
  • ZeckulZeckul Member Posts: 1,036
    According to forgottenwars.com walkthrough, the Lion's Way (where Gorion dies) should only have Black Bears, Diseased Gibberlings and Wolves. However, the Coast Way (where you meet Elminster for the first time) already has Bandits, Dire Wolves, Diseased Gibberlings, Dread Wolves, Gibberlings, Wolves and Xvarts.

http://www.forgottenwars.com/bg1/ar2800.htm

It's a hardcore game. :)
  • pklooppkloop Member Posts: 113
    Kiting is your friend here..cheesy but effective :-)
  • nemiafalanemiafala Member Posts: 18
    I usually kite, but I had rolled a cleric/ranger with 13 hitpoints and apparently decided this meant I was invincible. Hence why I said I was an idiot while fighting it :)
    Has anyone gotten two normal wolves at once on that map or the one between Beregost and the Friendly Arm Inn? I remember running from them in the original game, but I haven't seen them in any of the three times I've gone through those areas. Maybe they adjusted the spawns so that you have a tougher wolf, but it's easier to run away from?
  • DeucetipherDeucetipher Member Posts: 521
    nemiafala said:

I usually kite, but I had rolled a cleric/ranger with 13 hitpoints and apparently decided this meant I was invincible. Hence why I said I was an idiot while fighting it :)
    Has anyone gotten two normal wolves at once on that map or the one between Beregost and the Friendly Arm Inn? I remember running from them in the original game, but I haven't seen them in any of the three times I've gone through those areas. Maybe they adjusted the spawns so that you have a tougher wolf, but it's easier to run away from?

I got a double wolf on the coast way and it ended my first no-reload run. I was frantically kiting the wolves while imoen shot, I took a bad turn, crit, dead.

So endeth the Saga of Aithis, weakest of Bhaal's children.

This was a blade character, so I knew the first level or two would be dicey, but that was plain embarrassing. I rolled a Berserker next. Much easier.