Skip to content

The intro cinematic- what do you think?

I found it a little bit disappointing due to the cartoonish smear and the fact that some of the dialogue was flat out cut out!

That is just an awful thing to do imho.

Comments

• GueulEclatorGueulEclator Member Posts: 175
    edited November 2012
    Why?? Why did you replaced the intro with that cheap comic motion style? The old intro gave us such a nostalgia felling but you literally shat on it!

The cartoonish style of the new intro feels a bit out of place. This intro is cheesy overall. The art style doesn't really fit and I have no idea why they would cut lines from the guard.
    What was the point? Why did you cut the line ''I can show you, there are others!'' , this line was central to the old intro and it was the one that gave you a first glimpse of what the whole plot is all about! It really added to the mystery as it was intriguing. Now the intro is almost pointless as it's just about a random killing another random :S .

Don't go GEORGE LUCAS on a classic like that! Give us the old intro back, or at least the option to do it ourselves!

So the only moment when they have to come up with their own creative content this is what they do?? They ruin the old feeling and replace it with some ''next gen'' cheesy aberration? Are those the guys that will be entrusted with BG2 EE and BG3.

DON'T YOU DARE TOUCH TO ANY OF THE BG2 EE CINEMATICS NEXT TIME!

(fixing bugs and resolution + mods is not creative content)
  • WardWard Member Posts: 1,305
    Harsh son. I agree about the cinematics being really poor. I don't think the zoom is great either. No bugs or res probs yet.
  • BorsookBorsook Member Posts: 152
    I like the new movies, the old ones were really terribly and were standing out from the overall quality of the game. And run in high res they would be really small... That said, the movies hiccup a lot on my machine, the rest of the game runs fine.
  • MungriMungri Member Posts: 1,645
    I agree, the new cutscenes are terrible.
  • VittordeVittoVittordeVitto Member Posts: 225

Why?? Why did you replaced the intro with that cheap comic motion style? The old intro gave us such a nostalgia felling but you literally shat on it!

The cartoonish style of the new intro feels a bit out of place. This intro is cheesy overall. The art style doesn't really fit and I have no idea why they would cut lines from the guard.
    What was the point? Why did you cut the line ''I can show you, there are others!'' , this line was central to the old intro and it was the one that gave you a first glimpse of what the whole plot is all about! It really added to the mystery as it was intriguing. Now the intro is almost pointless as it's just about a random killing another random :S .

Don't go GEORGE LUCAS on a classic like that! Give us the old intro back, or at least the option to do it ourselves!

So the only moment when they have to come up with their own creative content this is what they do?? They ruin the old feeling and replace it with some ''next gen'' cheesy aberration? Are those the guys that will be entrusted with BG2 EE and BG3.

I LoL'd
  • mchairmastermchairmaster Member Posts: 4
    I couldn't agree more, I loaded up the game and lost a lot of excitement as the first thing I see is that shitty clip...
  • MessiMessi Member Posts: 738
    If you can't do it properly don't do it all! Too bad Beamdog forget that.
    I really hope they won't do BG3. Let the real creators of infinity games do it : obsidian with project eternity.
  • FyreFyre Member Posts: 28
    It really isn't that bad. But in comparison, It sucks. If anything, all they needed to make for a enhanced intro, was to removing the freaking horns off the guy in it.....
  • WardWard Member Posts: 1,305
    @Fyre I doubt they could. They'd have to have the source file of the cinematic loaded in whatever program it was made in. Then they could just take the horns off the 3D model of him.

I like the horns personally, but as I've said over and over they ARE unpractical in combat except for tournaments. To be fair his tunic is weird too man.
  • RedGuardRedGuard Member Posts: 672
    Though I'm not a fan of the new intro, the old one was hardly a classic with it's goofy looks and awkward animations (not to mention the cheesy voice acting from the random Bhaalspawn).
  • srvksrvk Member Posts: 65
    The cinematics are bad but, as with the old ones, most people will watch them once or twice and skip them in the next playthrough.
  • adventhraggadventhragg Member Posts: 1
    Meh. It is what it is
  • MordeusMordeus Member Posts: 460
    The cutscenes are such a minor part of the game that it is hardly a deal breaker. Besides the original was pretty poor, even back in 1998. I appreciate the new storybook aesthetic since it fits in with the 2d quality of the game. The 3d rendered cutscenes never really worked.

I always found Sarevok's monologues between chapters to convey way more than those brief cinematics.
  • DukeGrDukeGr Member Posts: 43

First of all and im not trying to be some cool asshole here but what did you really expect to see? Some super cgi ala diablo 3 style? Video animations cost a bucketload of cash to be made and need a dedicated team and resources to pull them off.

I agree that the new videos are not AAA quality but they are decent and acceptable for their budget. I expect to see better from overhaul in the future now that they made some money from all the sales.

All in all try to see the positive in all of this, noone liked or hated baldur's gate for the cgi's or colorful menus, it was the gameplay that really mattered. Just give them a chance.
  • CuvCuv Member, Developer Posts: 2,535

Oh yeah I just learned they they didn't created the black pits, it already existed in the code. So don't give them credit for that.

Not sure where you 'learned' that. Nothing from the black pits was in the original code. It's all new content. Link your source.

• MoomintrollMoomintroll Member Posts: 1,498
    I say we round up the trolls and let them duke it out in a big arena.
  • CalmarCalmar Member Posts: 688
    The new stuff looks the way I remember the cuscenes, if you know what I mean - not like 14 years old animations. ;)
  • BorsookBorsook Member Posts: 152
    Cuv said:

Oh yeah I just learned they they didn't created the black pits, it already existed in the code. So don't give them credit for that.

Not sure where you 'learned' that. Nothing from the black pits was in the original code. It's all new content. Link your source.

Cuv, I know, it's the internet, but the post you quoted was an obvious example of sarcasm... So, yes, he knows.
  • kazrobkazrob Member Posts: 18
    Sadly all the "new" stuff they added stands out like a sore thumb in comparison to the rest of the game which is a shame. I bet even people who never played the original can pick up on it.
    The worst insult is the NPC's. Definitively not at the level of minsc, edwin, xzar... All we got is One Mary Sue, one Mass effect style vessel for your gay romance, and another that looks like she's from a twilight novel.
  • FouneFoune Member Posts: 53
    Cheap comic motion? This is hand-drawn artwork, I literally shat myself when I saw the new awesome intro.
  • mrstevomanmrstevoman Member Posts: 7
    The cut scenes are WAY better in this! They want to introduce the new generation to BG and the old crappy ones...beh. If you people are upset over cut scenes, go play the original, you'll always have that. These
    guys did a wonderful job and I just can't believe all the complaining.
    Foune said:

Cheap comic motion? This is hand-drawn artwork, I literally shat myself when I saw the new awesome intro.

being ''hand-drawn'' doesn't make it any less cheesy and cheap. And also very inadequate.

• Excalibur_2102Excalibur_2102 Member Posts: 351
    I really do feel for Nat Jones here. Seriously, his art is good in my opinion, its just different to the old CGI cinematics we all know and love, though i dont like the cutting of the bhaalspans lines too much. The new stuff reminds me alot of the cut scenes from the Witcher 2.

I just think Nats art is getting a helluva lot of unwarranted hate on the forums. Hope he doesnt take it to heart too much :/