Skip to content

[Request] Throwing weapons (daggers, darts and axes) tweaks

O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
This request is basically about three things.

- First of all, quantity of throwing daggers in one stack. In non-moded BG2 engine you can only stack 10 daggers, which is wrong for several reasons. First of all, like darts and arrows, they [throwing daggers] do not posses "weight" properity, so there is no real reason to limit its stacking. Second, stacking only 10 daggers results in wasting room in your inventory, which is always bad. Therefore my suggestion is to raise stacking to 40 daggers, the same ammount as arrows, bolts and darts.

- Second, throwing weapons' missiles are too slow, compared to arrows and bolts. While it can be consider realistic (something you throw will always be slower than something you shoot from crossbow), it makes thrown weapons far less usefull. If I remember well, in Icewind Dale 2 thrown weapons had the same (or nearly the same) projective speed as arrows and bolts and I think it worked well. Point is to increase flight speed of the missiles.

- Thrid and lastly, in BG1 there is no magical throwing daggers and axes (even +1 would be nice!) so I recommend adding those. That way those underused weapons could become really valid option!

Those thoughts came from my recent playing session of Baldur's Gate. I think that daggers are pretty nice pick for lvl 1 mages, considering this proficency covers both meele and ranged weapons. Too bad it has issues I mentioned above.

Comments

• RavelRavel Member Posts: 140
    I completely agree on points 2 and 3. I could see someone arguing that stack size is a balancing/pacing issue... and that the devs WANT you to have to sacrifice inventory space in order to keep adequate numbers of throwing weapons.

Points 2 and 3 are no-brainers in my opinion, though. +1
  • ShapiroKeatsDarkMageShapiroKeatsDarkMage Member Posts: 2,428
    I stick with arrows and bolts.
  • RavelRavel Member Posts: 140
    An interesting tweet from Trent Oster:

He didn't outright say anything about throwing weapons, but it looks like the idea is to increase inventory stacks in general.
  • O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    Interesting, that tweet appeared sometime after I created this topic. Thought it would be great if someone would notice points 2 and 3.

@ShapiroKeatsDarkMage Bolts and arrows aren't the topic here.
  • LavarunnerLavarunner Member Posts: 4
    edited July 2012
    Well about the 3rd , there is one Throwing Axe +2 that returns to user's hands once thrown but can't remember where you can obtain it.
  • CorvinoCorvino Member Posts: 2,269
    @Lavarunner

**SPOILER**

I think it's the party of adventurers/assassins at the end of the Candlekeep catacombs
  • CheesebellyCheesebelly Member Posts: 1,727
    Well, I myself am not sure if such things exist, but shops having a simple (although somewhat more expensive) "boomerang" axe, dart, dagger would be useful (even non enchanted).

Increasing the stack size would DEFINITELY help a lot though, so +1 from my side (I myself being a dart lover, but a hater at the same time. 3 attacks per round? NEAT! Inventory filled with darts? NOPE! XD )
  • SoulmechSoulmech Member Posts: 2
    There is a throwing axe that returns to you. I also don't remember where you get it, but I remember using the hell out of it.
  • DazzuDazzu Member Posts: 950
    edited July 2012
    The one advantage of thrown weapons compared to darts is that the thrown weapon shares its proficiency slot with a melee counterpart.

While it is not full compensation for why darts have 3 shots per round or higher stack capacity, my guess is that originally, throwing daggers and axes were meant probably more as a 'softener' weapon to hit enemies on their way to melee before whipping out the melee axe or dagger. All that, without having to potentially 'waste' (and I do use the term waste rather poorly) skill points on bows or xbows or sling/dart.

That said, a buff wouldn't hurt. Perhaps throwing daggers could be enabled for a ranged backstab?