Skip to content

Just a warning when you start a new game

I just had a hair-pulling experience when starting a new game in BG:EE and wanted to share it with you so you do not make the same mistake.

I rolled up a new character (a Berserker that I will dual to Mage) and was surprised that I got amazing stat distribution on my 2nd roll. I finished character creation and started the game, bought my supplies from Winthrop and did a few bits around Candlekeep. At some point I decided to check out the option menu, to see what had changed in BG:EE but I accidentally hit Load Game.

So what happened? Without any kind of popup message, I was taken to the Load Game screen where every slot was totally blank. I clicked Back and was taken to the Main Menu. That was it, my character and my progress had completely vanished because I hadn't quicksaved yet. There was nothing to import my character from so it was like he never existed, no auto-save, nothing. I had to reroll from scratch.

This is probably my own fault, yes, but I always remembered BG (at least BG2 did) making an auto-save right after character creation. It should also warn you that you'll lose progress if you enter the Load Game screen.

Comments

• zarffynzarffyn Member Posts: 175
    Wasn't it that way before? Losing progress when entering the load game screen. There may have been a dialogue warning box that I don't recall, but I'm pretty sure you always lost progress when entering the Load Game screen. I can't recall if it created an auto-save at the beginning, but it's possible it did. If nothing else, maybe add a tutor right outside Winthrop's inn who advises you to save your game now, and often. ;)

I HAVE noticed that the game doesn't Auto-Save as much as the vanilla game. As such, I quickly started abusing the Quick Save button, and "Q."
  • BjjorickBjjorick Member Posts: 1,208
    it gave you a warning dialog box before, but that extra menu used to drive me crazy.

If it makes you feel better, on my 10th roll, i got a good roll, enough to set stats to 18 for 4 stats with a 7 and an 8 left over. i saved it, rolled 2 or 3 more, you never know, and then said i was ready to play. Instead of clicking recall, i clicked store on a roll that would't even get 1 stat to 18.....

spent the next hour rerolling. My fault totally, but i lost an awesome roll and took awhile to get close to what i had, but enough to make me happy. :P then i quick saved first thing, just in case
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    Also, there's a keyboard key which reloads the last quick save , I don't know which one it is, but I did press it by accident.
  • The_New_RomanceThe_New_Romance Member Posts: 839
    Load Game did always have a confirmation window. I don't know whether it still has one, I just remember a confirmation window upon exiting.

The non-existant autosave after starting in Candlekeep is *really* annoying.
  • CuvCuv Member, Developer Posts: 2,535
    I will report this in the beta forum, there needs to be an autosave at character creation/start.
  • BjjorickBjjorick Member Posts: 1,208
    i just tried it, i hit load and it popped up a screen saying all game data will be lost.

I left the game on last night when i went to work, so it's still the release version. Are you sure it didn't pop up for you?
  • DrugarDrugar Member Posts: 1,566
    Yeah, L is the Quickload button. With no loading screens, it happened so fast I wasn't sure if I'd loaded or if the Fog of War had suddenly come backand some trees had shifted.

Tricksey business.
    I *love* the Quickload now that I know it's there though.
  • RapscallionRapscallion Member Posts: 81
    I'm absolutely positive it didn't pop up for me. I was completely astonished that I was given no message, and then taken back to the main menu only to find there was no auto-save either. Really gutted.
  • CuvCuv Member, Developer Posts: 2,535
    I have reported the lack of an Auto Save after character creation to the powers above.
    Thanks Cuv.
  • KirkorKirkor Member Posts: 700
    So Beamdog should make this:
    1. Game should make autosave right after new game starts
    2. After hitting "load" button, the game asks if you want to do so, or else you will loose your current game.
    3. Autosave before leaving Candlekeep would be nice too.
  • Blakes7Blakes7 Member Posts: 83
    Autosave used to feature in a lot of other places as well, not sure why taken out.
  • TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    It's not really clear, but you seem to be talking about quickload, in which case it never had a confirmation pop-up and I think it's better off that way (better to keep it as "quick" as possible). That being said, if you're afraid of hitting it by accident, re-map it to a different, more out of the way key.
  • LephidilesLephidiles Member Posts: 20
    this is a feature request but i drop it in here. What whould have been nice whould have been 3x autosaves. so first time game autosaves it uses spot one then next autosave uses spot 2 and next spot3 and the forth owerwrites the first one (i am a bad saver and only uses quick save this whould have given me more options to og back in time)
    KeithS said:

@Rapscallion Autosave added. Will be in as of the next patch.

Yay thanks :)

Hopefully now my next lucky roll won't go to waste when my fat fingers click the wrong button.

• DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    Hmm.

You know, now that I think about it... The Load screen shouldn't first exit your game. Which is to say, when you open the Load Game screen from a current game, you should be able to click "Cancel" and return to the game.

This was something that always kind of bugged me about the vanilla game, too. I can't think of any other games that make you lose your game just by opening the "load" screen.
  • KingpinKingpin Member Posts: 2
    KeithS said:

@Rapscallion Autosave added. Will be in as of the next patch.

Awesome news! I had the exact same thing happening almost ten years ago, it's great to know they're acting so soon.