Skip to content

Crash immediately after hitting PLAY button on Stand Alone launcher

TehCerealKillerTehCerealKiller Member Posts: 56
edited November 2012 in Windows PC (Archive)
Since everyone seems to be ignoring this issue in other threads, I'm making a thread specifically for it. Here's the issue: I start up the launcher click PLAY then it immediately says the game has stopped working properly. What gives? What do? Also note I'm running Vista 32 bit

Comments

• ShinkeiShinkei Member Posts: 5
    Copy your game into your C:\ and then you can run it no problems works for me on my windows 7 64bit system
  • iskiiski Member Posts: 3
    ok i got mine to work, I have win 7 64bit nvidia card, but it kept crashing. I did find a soultion but i had to use the balduer.exe file in the beamdog/data/00766 folder and launch from there. i used compatability setting xp sp2 and run as admin and also i checked disable display scaling on high dpi settings and it worked like a charm hope this helps
  • TehCerealKillerTehCerealKiller Member Posts: 56
    It's time for more...experiments
  • OldBookOldBook Member Posts: 6
    Nope, copying to C:\ doesn't fix it for me. Neither does running as admin.
  • zdufordzduford Member Posts: 5
    no good for me either, Tryed:

Moving BGEE folder to C: driver
    Running data buldur as admin with everything disabled

MacBook Pro
    Bootcamp Windows7 Sp1
    16Gb Ram
    120Gb SSD
    i5-3210M @ 2.50Ghz
    Intel HD 4000
    Shinkei you are a god/goddess (whatever flavor human you are)
    edited November 2012
    anyone know of a disappearing cursor fix? NVM
  • drakhan2002drakhan2002 Member Posts: 2

Since everyone seems to be ignoring this issue in other threads, I'm making a thread specifically for it. Here's the issue: I start up the launcher click PLAY then it immediately says the game has stopped working properly. What gives? What do? Also note I'm running Vista 32 bit

I had the EXACT same problem. Win 7 64-bit; Alienware m17x gaming laptop. I had to copy the game to the root drive C:. From there I had to go into the C:\Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition\Data\00766 directory, change the compatibility mode to Windows Vista SP1 on the Baldur.exe file. I also set it run as Administrator. I double-clicked the Baldur.exe file from there. It worked.

This game was clearly not user accepted tested enough. The beta testers and the developers should be ASHAMED of releasing this game that is not ready for 'prime time'. What a disappointment devs!
    Okay What the F? everytime I finally get in game and then exit it won't launch again after that! This is really pissing me off
  • ModernKnightModernKnight Member Posts: 3
    This doesn't work for me either. This is really frustrating...
  • Rambone2001Rambone2001 Member Posts: 1
    I am running Windows 7 x64 bit and when I ran it with SP 1 it started right up
  • MattShameimaruMattShameimaru Member Posts: 8
    It's 12 hours since I started the download. It was done in about 2, now I spend 10 hours on trying to run it. I'm so mad right now.
  • phingnomephingnome Member Posts: 2
    when i try to start the game in the beamdog site it wont load grrr help please
  • Verify_23Verify_23 Member Posts: 6
    To shamelessly copy a post that I made in another thread regarding this topic:

Strange thing is, initially last night I was having the same problem as everybody here. Then I moved the file out of Program Files and it worked for awhile before it stopped (I had to keep quitting out of the game when my cursor would disappear on the inventory screen).

Then I removed from Program Files + Ran as Admin and it worked for awhile, again it stopped.

Then I removed from Program Files + clicked Vista SP1 + Ran as Admin and it worked...

But this morning, under the same conditions, it's no longer working.
    Same problem I'm facing for the moment it's working but I'm afraid that if I exit the game when I try to launch again it won't work which has happened twice now
  • Verify_23Verify_23 Member Posts: 6
    Just finished updating my graphics card (or driver or whatever, I'm not tech-savvy) and it's working again. Here's hoping it holds up!
  • winuzwinuz Member Posts: 2
    I tried all these tips, but the tip that helped me was:

right click desktop
    select "Nvidia Control Panel" from drop down menu
    select the category "manage 3D settings"
    In both tabs ("Global settings" and "program settings") change the preffered graphic selector to high performance Nvidia processor
  • AlesthesAlesthes Member Posts: 46
    I will post it here too, and I hope it will be useful for someone else.

I know, it may sound silly and absurd, but I got persistent crashes after pressing play for hours. I tried anything to no avail, until I tried the weirdest suggestion I read about: to launch my iTunes and then run the launcher normally. Well, it worked.

Don't ask me why, but I know it worked for some other people who were receiving the same error message as well...!
  • drakhan2002drakhan2002 Member Posts: 2
    Alesthes said:

I know, it may sound silly and absurd, but I got persistent crashes after pressing play for hours. I tried anything to no avail, until I tried the weirdest suggestion I read about: to launch my iTunes and then run the launcher normally. Well, it worked.

Don't ask me why, but I know it worked for some other people who were receiving the same error message as well...!

I tried this as I was experiencing the problem described in this thread. I said to myself "no way is this gonna work...". I stand corrected! LOL! I launched iTunes and then launched the game through the launcher and it worked?!?!?! WTF?! This has to be the weirdest fix I've ever seen!
  • AzureblazeAzureblaze Member Posts: 22

Alesthes said:

I tried this as I was experiencing the problem described in this thread. I said to myself "no way is this gonna work...". I stand corrected! LOL! I launched iTunes and then launched the game through the launcher and it worked?!?!?! WTF?! This has to be the weirdest fix I've ever seen!
    LoL I think it's just chance, mine works on launch only have the time, I just have to keep trying until it opens :)
  • AlesthesAlesthes Member Posts: 46

Alesthes said:

LoL I think it's just chance, mine works on launch only have the time, I just have to keep trying until it opens :)
    No, sorry, it's weird but I really don't think it's chance.

I tried to launch BG for hours and it never, never started. Until I opened iTunes, as adviced on these forums, and since then it ALWAYS run. And the same is true for lots of other people.

Weird, yes. Chance, no.

• HoiusHoius Member Posts: 27
    edited November 2012
    winuz said:

I tried all these tips, but the tip that helped me was:

right click desktop
    select "Nvidia Control Panel" from drop down menu
    select the category "manage 3D settings"
    In both tabs ("Global settings" and "program settings") change the preffered graphic selector to high performance Nvidia processor

I had the same crash problem and I'm with an ATI card (Radeon HD5570) and Windows XP SP3. The problem was fixed when I downloaded the latest drivers through Catalyst Control Center. Obviously the game has problems with both Nvidia and ATI cards, but at least we can assume it most probably is connected with the graphics card. So the solution is tweaking 3D settings/updating drivers.
  • OldBookOldBook Member Posts: 6
    Updating my video drivers finally fixed this one for me.
  • gvdeviantgvdeviant Member Posts: 5
    I had the same problem and downloaded my latest drivers for my GPU (ATI 3870HD). Then fixed
  • booyeahgamesbooyeahgames Member Posts: 2

I had the EXACT same problem. Win 7 64-bit; Alienware m17x gaming laptop. I had to copy the game to the root drive C:. From there I had to go into the C:\Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition\Data\00766 directory, change the compatibility mode to Windows Vista SP1 on the Baldur.exe file. I also set it run as Administrator. I double-clicked the Baldur.exe file from there. It worked.

This game was clearly not user accepted tested enough. The beta testers and the developers should be ASHAMED of releasing this game that is not ready for 'prime time'. What a disappointment devs!
    Try switching to the integrated graphics card instead of your main GPU. That worked for me (I have the m17x R3). That was the final thing I did. Other things that may or may not have had an impact along the way: Various compatibility modes, running as admin, moving to c:\, and updating the .ini to full screen = 0.