Skip to content

Multiplayer-only quests

NirkitNirkit Member Posts: 5
I never actually played BG1 or 2 in multiplayer for any length of time since I could only get it to work once, but I'm planning on playing through the game with someone once BGEE comes out, and I've been thinking about what our party composition is going to look like. My biggest problem right now is that no matter what, even with only two people, we're probably going to be missing out on quite a few NPCs' sidequests. We could switch characters around, sure, but I know I never did that when playing alone due to party balance issues and I can't imagine it'll be too different with one of my friends leading the party.

But I was thinking that it might be cool to have at least one multiplayer-only quest. Something that gives the Bhaalspawn's friend(s) from Candlekeep a little backstory, characterization, and/or something to do besides watch the Bhaalspawn and the NPCs have all the fun. I thought that the return to Candlekeep would be the ideal time for such a quest, but honestly it could happen anywhere at any time. Maybe it could be class/race/alignment related, who knows? I just wasn't aware of anything for PC companions to do, and thought it would be a nice addition to enrich multiplayer games.

Comments

• iLexiLex Member Posts: 20
    edited July 2012
    So do you mean one quest that focuses on all the other PCs in the party? In that case all the friends share one background story? That seems illogical. The plan might work if you play with one additional player, but if you plan on lan-partying the whole game it would either take a whole lot of quests (or quest lines, which seems more logical) to make everyone happy.

The only way I see something like this work is if they implemented class related quest lines for every class. Sure, it won't be as epic as the Bhaalspawn story, but at least it would put the focus on the other party members once in a while.

I generally like your idea, but it is hard to imagine a good way of implementing it.
  • ConphantusConphantus Member Posts: 51
    If the devs put their limited resources into adding another quest, I'd rather see it available for everyone, regardless of whether they play single or multiplayer

If the devs put their limited resources into adding another quest, I'd rather see it available for everyone, regardless of whether they play single or multiplayer

I completely agree. With the class specific quests it could be that way.

• HeroicSpurHeroicSpur Member Posts: 907
    I think a better way of implementing this would be to have a quest which requires you to use your characters individually. That way a single player could focus on each character one at a time, while multiplayers could be using their own characters simultaneously.

For example, you enter a dungeon/maze and your party is teleported to different parts of it. Each character is on their own, but they need to perform some action to help the others get through. They may need to pull a switch to open a door to allow another party member to proceed, or find a key to open a cell where one of them is trapped/imprisoned.

It of course doesnt have to be something like that, I mentioned in another request an arena/tournament, but where characters could enter individually as well as in a party (allowing party members to come up against each other in multiplayer).

edited July 2012
    @HeroicSpur:
    This is a bit different though than having a quest line specifically for your class (or specifically for your player). The OP meant (if i understood correctly) giving the other players more of a story to their character. Not just giving them some individual actions.

For example:
    As the rogue in the party you already perform tasks like unlocking doors and chests and removing traps to help the party. However, if you get asked to join a thief's guild and perform some special tasks for them it would really feel like your character develops more.
    Of course, if there is another rogue in the party it would make it a bit less special, but it is still better than nothing.

As the OP said, the main character already has the whole 'spawn of Bhaal' thing going on and it would be nice for the other characters to have some sort of (small) story of their own.
  • MajocaMajoca Member Posts: 263
    I never had a problem with the players who were not bhaalspawn, I thought the character creator allowed you edit the biography? and if not cant you make up your own story for the characters, I like to make something up because playing a bland figure head of a class is pointless, use your imagination.
  • NirkitNirkit Member Posts: 5
    Imaginations are nice, I just don't like missing out on some of the more amusing quests. Plus the biography is no substitute for having that information referenced in-game.

My party usually consisted of CHARNAME, Imoen, Khalid, Jaheira, and Minsc, with a final spot left open for floaters since Dynaheir would invariably get gibbed at some point. With an extra PC in my party I'd be left without that floater spot, and I'd miss out on a lot of sidequests.

I really like the class-based quest idea though: that seems like the ideal way to do this so that it could be for the Bhaalspawn if they're playing alone, or for any/all PCs otherwise. I just felt like it might be nice for multiplayer characters to feel a little more tied into the story than they do at present.