Skip to content

So...were the portraits that limited in the original release?

Because, there don't seem to be that many to choose from. I know they were supposed to add a few new ones, but still, I had a much bigger selection in NWN and IIRC in BG2.

Comments

• MajocaMajoca Member Posts: 263
    That is how many portraits there were and they have added a handful for each gender. Neverwinter did have more, but this is not Never Winter.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    The available portraits should be the same as the selection in BG2, plus the Jason Manley crop.
  • CyhortCyhort Member Posts: 78
    I know it's not, I just expected more. Especially since some of them seem to just be party member portraits. *shrugs* Oh well, minor thing I guess. I'll just add some custom ones.
  • Space_hamsterSpace_hamster Member Posts: 950
    To be fair, there are thousands of BG portraits available out there, just find one you like.
  • WanderonWanderon Member Posts: 1,418

To be fair, there are thousands of BG portraits available out there, just find one you like.

I'm thinking there will be some work involved changing sizes on those old ones to meet the new BGEE size - I've decided to wait for some BGEE specific ones to arrive on the scene myself and make due with the ones they provided in the meantime... ;-)

• reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    While I agree with @Space_hamster about lots online, I don't think that the number of ones that aren't other NPC's is adequate. Particularly glaring is the lack of any ½ Orcish portraits, unless you want to share with Dorn.

Yes, we can go find portraits. The issues I have is that we have to (unless, I repeat, you like sharing).
  • smallersmaller Member Posts: 22
    The selection was always pretty measly. I was actually quite surprised Overhaul didn't spring for a bunch of artists and double the number of portrait options. Oh, well.

Gibberlings Three has a small collection of good portraits, and the Neverwinter Vault has thousands of terrible portraits and a few hundred very good ones.
    In particular, SporeBoy! did gorgeous BG portraits (can be found at either link above), and some of Plasmocat's ethnic portraits at G3 are good enough that I use them. The Neverwinter Nights portrait style isn't too jarringly different from the Baldur's Gate style, I feel, so I'm using a few portraits from there, too. Icewind Dale portraits sadly don't mesh with BG at all.
  • Space_hamsterSpace_hamster Member Posts: 950
    If you do some searching, the IWD I and II portraits are good, and they should be available in high enough resolution somewhere.
    eta: Looks like G3 is getting slammed pretty hard (congrats, guys!), so it'll be hard to download anything from them for now. You can lose hours trawling the NWVault, though, so good luck. XD
  • mch202mch202 Member Posts: 1,455
    Actually there is supposed to be another portrait pack, probably will be post-shop.
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    The more portraits the better. I hope we can see more of the same quality portraits coming up in the future.
  • kilroy_was_herekilroy_was_here Member Posts: 455
    The problem with using existing BG custom portraits is that they all need to be resized to avoid looking silly. :(

The problem with using existing BG custom portraits is that they all need to be resized to avoid looking silly. :(

xnview has a pretty good batch conversion functionality for mass-resizing of portraits.
  • PantalionPantalion Member Posts: 2,137
    Meh, I make my own portraits if I can't find one that fits.
    Anyways, I use this for work: http://www.fotosizer.com/ I dunno if it'll keep it BMP 24-bit, or even if they need to be 24-bit now, but it works on multiple images at once.
  • MungriMungri Member Posts: 1,645
    I'm more surprised that they couldnt even add the portraits and sound sets from BG2 to BGEE as well, thats not really very hard for them to do.
  • MeraMera Member Posts: 133
    That doesn't make any sense to me either... Portraits from BG1 were already re-sized, why not include the new ones from BG2? This is either lazyness or they have just forgotten...
  • MedullaOblongataMedullaOblongata Member Posts: 434
    Because it doesn't make sense for BG1? o_O
    More likely, is my guess, that they don't have any rights for BG2 content yet.
  • DrHappyAngryDrHappyAngry Member Posts: 1,577
    If somebody wanted to point me to a decent portrait pack, I could probably slap together a script with imagemagick under Linux to convert the whole thing in one go. Should just be a one liner. At worst a 3 liner for the 3 sizes, iirc. I just don't feel like crawling the vault hunting for a decent one.
  • DeucetipherDeucetipher Member Posts: 521
    If anyone is making portraits from existing pictures, I highly recommend Paint.net, a free pixel-based image editor, much more powerful than paint. I've made several portraits today from existing artwork. The nice thing is that you can pre-select the size of the select box and then move it around to capture the appropriate image
  • sandorcleganesandorclegane Member Posts: 7
    ive got a bunch of portraits from ironworks and bgvault that ill eventually get around to converting. bt i must say... one of the first things i would have done in this game is make more options for character customisation.

voices...portraits...
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    @Mera
    @Mungri
    What new BG2 portraits are you referring to, exactly? BG2 added the bald barbarian looking guy. That's it. BG:EE has all the BG2 portraits plus the new ones.
  • MungriMungri Member Posts: 1,645
    Erm no it doesn't. In BG2 you could pick from all the new portraits for the NPCs, none of those are in BGEE, and also neither are BG2s sound files. This is important because BG Tutu had all that, as well as being vastly better all around.
  • MeraMera Member Posts: 133
    @Schneidend There was the new BG2 NPCs portraits + an half orc male portrait iirc.
    I mean, if I want to create an elf with cool blue hairs, why am I not allowed to when the portrait is already there?