Skip to content

[solved] Bigger font (Archaic mod)

AlequeAleque Member Posts: 149
edited December 2012 in Archive (Feature Requests)
One of the main reasons why I bought this game is actually being able to read the text on my 24" monitor, but even with "Enhanced" version it almost gives me headache. Please make it possible to manually customize font size of the conversations. Thanks.

EDIT: Thank you, Archaic! http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/13161/font-mod-bigger-font-size-for-bgee-beta
Post edited by Aleque on

Comments

• SyntaxSyntax Member Posts: 3
    edited November 2012
    Realy?! They didn't even optimise the Fontsize?
    I have a 25" Monitor; too small Fonts would destroy the enjoyment for such a Game with so much to read.
    I had such a problem with EVE Online; Fonts too small and much too read.
    Slowly i regret this purchase; i cannot understand how they didn't think about, to work on this important element in the game ....."headshaking".
  • AlequeAleque Member Posts: 149
    edited November 2012
    Well I understand that they are trying hard and currently have alot of problems to fix, but on the other hand it's a poor choise to call it enhanced edition without making something so simple (yet important) as font size be customizable. If not customizable, then just make it bigger. Use Mass Effect as reference for font-size.
    Wich resolution do you play; i want to play in 1920x1080.
    I play in same resolution as you. Some game producers (like those who made Anno 2070) never learn that not everyone have perfect eye-sight. I have to use dual monitors with a 17" to be able to read some text.
  • Dragonfolk2000Dragonfolk2000 Member Posts: 377
    I too would like a larger font size.
    I just tried the game on my laptop with a small screen. Everything in the game (including the font size) becomes even smaller. A disaster. I wonder if they would ever fix this. I already feel like my money are wasted and I am sure there is no refund.
  • conquesodorconquesodor Member Posts: 1
    I too would like a larger font size. In fact, I might say it's a requirement to play with any enjoyment. My eyesight isn't so great, but a friend of mine who has perfectly good vision was straining to read the text. It's disappointing that this wasn't given more thought, but for now I can hope that this will be addressed quickly.
    My game is still downloading, so i do not know if they have ingame-resolution-settings, do they?
    For me it's not the eye sight, it's about concentrating; after a while it's getting for everyone hard to read small fonts; if you read much at work and then you must do this in a game with small fonts, then it's cutting the experince if you are not patience enough to read all the text.
  • AristobulusAristobulus Member Posts: 7
    edited November 2012
    Syntax said:

Wich resolution do you play; i want to play in 1920x1080.

This was my hope as well, but it's next to impossible to read anything. You can't even see the amount of arrows or missile weapons in your inventory screen cause the font is so small, and when I loot gold I've no idea how much I'm picking up.
    Syntax said:

My game is still downloading, so i do not know if they have ingame-resolution-settings, do they?
    For me it's not the eye sight, it's about concentrating; after a while it's getting for everyone hard to read small fonts; if you read much at work and then you must do this in a game with small fonts, then it's cutting the experince if you are not patience enough to read all the text.

No, you cannot change the resolution in game.

Edit: The only options under graphics is full screen on/off. I've 20/20 vision but still find my eyes straining when I play in anything but 800x600. To get the 800x600 resolution, you have to set it on your desktop.
  • Space_hamsterSpace_hamster Member Posts: 950
    Yikes. In original BG it is rather easy to mod and make the font larger...hopefully they can fix this. I can't stand tiny fonts.
  • AristobulusAristobulus Member Posts: 7
    edited November 2012

Yikes. In original BG it is rather easy to mod and make the font larger...hopefully they can fix this. I can't stand tiny fonts.

Here's hoping! I'm starting to wish I just bought the old bundle off GOG for 10 bucks so I could have modded it. I wouldn't be so upset if I only spent 10 dollars on a less than ideal experience, but I dropped an extra 10 for an "enhanced" experience that is not so much enhanced and has me running around the forums instead of playing. I mean in-game screen resolution is a pretty standard thing, right?
    The only Graphic option there is in BG:EE is Fullscreen on/off. One would expect more from an enhanced edition.
  • agdevagdev Member Posts: 2
    you can edit resolution in ini file
    That's mine:
    'Window', 'w', '1280',
    'Window', 'h', '960',
    where do I find that ini file?
  • Space_hamsterSpace_hamster Member Posts: 950
    Here is a bigger font mod for BGII http://www.shsforums.net/topic/52452-bigger-fonts-mod-for-baldurs-gate-2/

Should be an easy fix for BGEE
  • reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    The fonts seemed too big to me, so I'm not sure what's up with that. I think I'd prefer an option to set FONT SIZE, so that people could set it where it works for them.

I have no issue with reading text on the game, at least to this point. Not sure if it's something to do with my windows settings or whatnot.
  • BaldursCatBaldursCat Member Posts: 432
    Hmm, I did request this before shipping so I'm a little sad it's not made it into the final game. I've had problems recently getting the 3rd party font mod to work so I was hoping integrated support for larger font sizes would have been one of the improvements made.
  • IkonNavrosIkonNavros Member Posts: 227
    I agree with that. The EE is not bad, but please... There are people with Eyeglasses around, so change the fontsize if possible. Please! :)
  • senzasenza Member Posts: 10
    Yes please give us the option change font size
  • mibblesmibbles Member Posts: 31
    I was really surprised how there's no option to change the font size. I hope this feature gets added soon, either by Overhaul or modders.
    As i wrote already in another thread in this part of the Board... Modding Community is the best solution for this additional stuff, since i am sure Beamdog is too busy with other things (Problems with Intel Chipset Graphic, General Bugs) that there is Priority Zero for this "Minor stuff" - at least seen from their perspective.

So we better should ask for help for this in our favourite Modding Boards :)
    The next person who is fixing this issue is my personal hero. I really would love to start playing this nostalgic good old game, but right now I get headache, especially when trying to read Elminster's endless chatter.
  • BaldursCatBaldursCat Member Posts: 432
    edited November 2012
    @IkonNavros, that's fine, I love what the modders do, but as I've mentioned I've struggled to get the mod to work - I'm not sure why as I've had it working previously - and TBH as useful as it is when it does work it only offers one level of enlargement. Native support for multiple font sizes is the ideal for most people really. In fact I've also struggled to get the widescreen mod to work with BGI, so the native widescreen support is partly why I chose to buy BGEE

EDIT: I should add, from what I've seen so far on BGEE the standard font size seems much better than the original & GOG versions of the games but it's still not perfect.
    That was more or less the Reason for the EE - What an irony that we are now again depending on future mods :) But perhaps Beamdog can be trusted that modding gets easier now and mods are less problematic as they have been in the past :D

Anyway, the chance is sadly so damn high that this small minor stuff will be solved by the modders. But well, we see what possible future Patches from Beamdog will bring. But get used to the idea for using mods again in the near future, for all the stuff the devs do not care and can be solved by the modding community.. If they will support the EE of course...

Too much negative publicity is around lately, so who knows.
  • DecrepitDragonDecrepitDragon Member Posts: 120
    Aleque said:

The only Graphic option there is in BG:EE is Fullscreen on/off. One would expect more from an enhanced edition.

@Aleque
    Its been mentioned elsewhere on the boards by the "Big Man" PD himself, that the Graphics tab has some bugs which they are currently working on. Thats why there is only one option visible at the moment. Updates to follow apparently.

Also, the resolution of the game is locked to your desktop res. Change that, change the games. This may be one of the options on the graphics tab that is being worked on.
  • seasea Member Posts: 65
    What's the matter guys, why aren't you playing on the iPad?
  • ZeckulZeckul Member Posts: 1,036
    Moved from Support-Windows PC to Feature Request.
  • kilroy_was_herekilroy_was_here Member Posts: 455
    This is all a conspiracy by the eyeglass companies working together with the Illuminati! Don't drink floridated water! Soylent green is made of miniature giant space hamsters!!

Spread the word!
    So.. any update on this issue? Any manual fix to increase font or a way to lower the resolution to increase the font size and keep sharpness? This game is all about readin and I have to strain my eyes. You can imagine that I begin to dread Elminster and Volo with their wall of text. They consciously cast a Blind spell on me.