Skip to content

GUI and text - WTF?

Why the hell GUI and text are so blury? "User interface has been adjusted for high resolution support" (REALLY?!)... Reading books in this game kills my eyes :/

Comments

• kilroy_was_herekilroy_was_here Member Posts: 455
    @upi00r If you have an Nvidia graphics card open up the Nvidia control panel and reset the options to default. That should resolve this issue.
  • PraemoriorPraemorior Member Posts: 10
    edited November 2012
    I have an ATI card and I have the same problem?

The icons on the main view UI are blurry, and I'm having a hard time reading the books in the game. Almost like I'm seeing double with the books, really bad font.

My resolution is 1920x1080.
  • MungriMungri Member Posts: 1,645
    Turn off AA / AF settings in your graphic cards controll panel.
  • upi00rupi00r Member Posts: 91
    And what about this?
    http://img18.imageshack.us/img18/366/txtn.png

Why is there so big difference in font sharpness? It is from the same gameplay... (both screenshots are from journal)
    edited November 2012
    That's exactly what I'm talking about. All the books I've read are like the top picture.

Can't turn AA/AF off, it just says "Application managed"?
  • jlkawaiijlkawaii Member Posts: 33
    @upi00r
    yep, i have the same things, even after fixing the FXAA thing :;(
  • DukeGrDukeGr Member Posts: 43
    edited November 2012
    upi00r said:

And what about this?

Why is there so big difference in font sharpness? It is from the same gameplay... (both screenshots are from journal)

Yea that appears randomly everywhere, item descriptions, journal even the world map.

ATI gfx here and all is app controlled, dont have any custom settings. It seems like theres some bug with the rendering, applying the wrong filters or something.

This and the character selection bug are imo the most critical bugs they need to address.
    Yeah, but IMHO they should make all text to be more sharp (including text from dialog box).
  • simichsimich Member Posts: 13
    upi00r said:

And what about this?

Exactly what I experienced last night, which honestly put me off. This is something basic. I don't think a change in the graphic card settings would have to resolve this - the code should.
    It is the same nightmare I had with orignal BG game - so many text to read and font is eye-killer. Do game developers acquire ability to think? :D
    They wanted the text to look 'pretty' so they added some 3d shading effect to it. Most of the feedback from people that can actually read the text is negative as the shading just looks 'off'. This had the added problem of screwing up the appearance on various systems as some 3d cards aren't sure what to do with 3d text since it's pretty rare.
    As they say: "The simplest solutions are often the best". So the primary attribute for fonts in a game with tons of dialog text lines should be: EYE-FRIENDLY :D Everything else is purely optional.
    edited November 2012
    I was just thinking about this

Will the iPad version have the BG2 UI? Maybe that's some old pic...I sure hope it would have it. I would love an option for the old UI in the PC EE as well.
  • Twilight_FoxTwilight_Fox Member Posts: 448
    I have the same trouble, just read an item description is hard.
  • IkonNavrosIkonNavros Member Posts: 227
    edited November 2012
    Hopefully there will be a solution for this, because reading for examples books is HORRIBLE - Seriously, if there will be no solution for that 3d Text shading problems and the low Quality extreme blurry icons in the gui... this really would make me consider about ignoring the BG2:EE - Because if that mistake was done here, who can say it will also not be the same in the BG2:EE?
    @IkonNavros Now that the problem is so evident I doubt it will still be an issue a few weeks from now much less whenever BG2EE comes out.

@upi00r I agree... the fact that the couldn't get the font correct (and left zero options to change it) does not bode well for the dev's ability to prioritize.
  • SFischSFisch Member Posts: 59
    It's not that the text is blurry, I don't think. In the inventory description, there is a slight drop shadow that too closely matches the darkness of the text. It's probably only offset by about 2px, but it creates a sort of visual vibration that is kind of unpleasant. I think if they removed the shadowing, it would look tons better.
    @SFisch Yeah, that's what we're talking about, you're just describing it differently. They tried to prettify the text and created a boondoggle that was totally unnecessary.
    exactly right, without that shadow things would instantly look good again! But what really has to be changed are the Blurry like hell GUI Buttons on the Left Side... This is painful to watch!
  • Space_hamsterSpace_hamster Member Posts: 950
    This is like a basic play-test issue is it not? Text legibility??? Come on devs, get with it.
  • ScofieldScofield Member Posts: 119
    Same problem here. I have an ATI card as well, running the game in 1920x1080. I had to stop playing because my eyes got tired reading the blurry texts. The GUI is somewhat blurry as well, if you just look at the menu items on the left for instance.

I am also getting terrible screen tearing. Is there a way to force vsync or anything to prevent screen tearing? It is extremely annoying and tiring for my eyes on the long run.
    edited November 2012
    I really hope Beamdog is making some reasonable changes... Because worst case scenary can still be that that kind of text blurryness and gui icons problems are zero priority for the Devs. After all, icons and inventory texts are minor elements - so i do not think at all that this is of any priority for them.

At least for the GUI there is the chance that at least the Modding Guys can help, but for the Text shadow problems... one can only Hope!
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    edited November 2012
    @Praemorior Very old picture. It will have the BG:EE GUI.

Also, "old UI" my ass. BGII's UI in BG1? Someone's been playing TuTu far too long. It looks so out of place.
    I've been waitng for 4 games this year:
    Diablo 3 - it is boring as hell (after some time)
    XCOM: EU - cool game but buggy as hell (waitng for patches)
    BG1 EE - we all know
    Legend of Grimrock - great game and have no problems with it

What is the most funniest part? LoG has been made by 4 people :)
    So there are devs who know how to make THE game (and how to make good Hi-Res interface :P).
  • Space_hamsterSpace_hamster Member Posts: 950
    To be fair, BGI was full of ancient code. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and wish them luck with the first patch (or two!).
    edited November 2012
    Best wishes.. they need them, somehow it seems the EE is cursed.. Quite much bad luck in such a short time, that's what happens with the ones who touch sacred Material :D Sarevok and Irenicus will eat them alive :P

Jokes Aside.. Would be awesome if a coming patch would also remove that more minor less priority problems, not only technical problems.

Because often are the small things the most distracting ones, After all, there are quite much people around who can not play the EE so far, the rage cry would be even louder if they also would encounter that small mean troublemaker problems ;)

Baldur's Gate 1+2 do earn nothing more as perfect Enhanced Versions.. and that means also Small Details have to be perfect, not only Stability Problems removed.

Never forget that Lesson :D