Skip to content

[Request] Mulahey's death to not trigger the "story screen"

The "background story screen" with scrolling text triggers on Mulahey's death, and often interrupts combat. If possible, it should be changed to trigger when a) combat ends or b) combat ends and the party exits Mulahey's cave.

Comments

• TalarashaTalarasha Member Posts: 62
    edited November 2012
    You sure about that? I believe that story screen triggered by looting on of the scrolls (letters) from the Mulahey corpse. That is true for original game and my EE.
  • MythagoMythago Member Posts: 23
    edited November 2012
    Hmm you must be right, actually. I think I was just in such a hurry to see what items I got that I immediately looted him after he died, while there still were some kobolds alive :) It's been sooo long since I played BG1 that I don't remember things like that (items, or events that trigger stuff).

edit: typo
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited November 2012
    In the original game the scrolls that triggered the background story screen were located in the chest. As someone else pointed out earlier on the forum the problem with this was that a thief could walk in, take it from the chest, and then leave without ever actually killing Mulahey, but they would get the message saying "with the death of Mulahey". Now granted now I suppose someone could pickpocket the scrolls of him as it stands now, but I'm not sure if that would launch the next chapter however. Point is it was changed for BGEE and the two letters were instead put on his inventory/corpse inventory.
  • MythagoMythago Member Posts: 23
    Right. Well, that seems better indeed, although apparently people can still trigger it when it's not really intended (in combat), but blame on me for rushing to check his loot :)
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    Actually now that I think of it since you'd have to pickpocket both scrolls, the likelihood of you being able to do this without going into combat him would be very, very low. Not really that important, just felt I should correct myself. :)