Skip to content

Game won't start.

I'm running windows 7 64 bit with an Intel i7 2600 processor, and using an Nvidia graphics card.

I've downloaded the game twice. Once with the BG installer and once with the beam dog client.

When i try to start the game from the installer or the client nothing at all happens.

If I try and start the game from the Baldur application in the 00766 folder I get this message:

"This program can't start because OpenAL32.dll is missing from your computer."

However, this is a lie. OpenAL32.dll is, in fact, located in my System32 folder. Just hanging out and not starting games like a champ.

I'm using Kaspersky virus protection and flagged both the baldurs application and the installer as trusted.

I have tweaked nvidia settings, ran as administrator, attempted to start the game using compatibility modes for XP, Vista service packs 1 and 2, Windows 7, and windows 98.

Nothing has worked. I don't feel as though I have an unusual computer set up, so it seems that other must be experiencing the same thing. I've read through the other posts though and found nothing that mentions OpenAL32.dll .

Is there a way to get my game to run?

Comments

• ZeckulZeckul Member Posts: 1,036
    edited November 2012
    Try uninstalling OpenAL and then reinstalling the game through the Beamdog client.

Oh, and System32 is for 64-bit applications. For OpenAL to work the dll will have to be in SysWOW64.
  • MoiraMoira Member Posts: 173
    @jgilbert
    Check this for starters. I hope it helps!
  • forgotten_wolfforgotten_wolf Member Posts: 28
    move the stuff in the 00766 folder into the C drive and try opening the baldursgate.exe file from there
    Then try all the compatibility modes while the stuff is in the C drive
    @jgilbert
    here is another solution from someone who had similar problems.
  • jgilbertjgilbert Member Posts: 3
    OK. I copied openal32 to syswow64 & copied 00766 to C

NOW when i try and run it i get this message:

The application was unable to start correctly (0xc000007b)
    @jgilbert where are you running it from? The download client or the exe directly? Did you try starting the game so that your stuff is still under Program Files (i.e. where it was originally) but you have the .dll where it needs to be?
  • forgotten_wolfforgotten_wolf Member Posts: 28
    jgilbert said:

OK. I copied openal32 to syswow64 & copied 00766 to C

NOW when i try and run it i get this message:

The application was unable to start correctly (0xc000007b)

try moving the file to C before you move the openal32and see if that loads it
  • jgilbertjgilbert Member Posts: 3
    Hooray! Ran oainst from syswow64 (had not noticed it was there) and now the game starts, Having graphic and sound issues, but I see that there are many other threads to look through for that!

Thanks for your help, all. hopefully this fix will work for others with the same problem.
  • kotemkotem Member Posts: 1
    I keep getting the message that i need OpenAL32.dll to start, i think i might have mistakenly uninstalled it cause i was having a tidying up of the hard drive whilst waiting for the download. Any idea where i can get the file?
  • DrGermDrGerm Member Posts: 29
    OK, seriously, I'm an understanding dude regarding bugs on a new release of a game, but if the game just plain doesn't even start.... w..t..f...
  • Jack67Jack67 Member Posts: 7
    I'm beginning to wonder how one returns a downloaded game....