Skip to content

Dorn and Neera can't be one-shotted

LinkamusLinkamus Member Posts: 221
I posted this in the bugs section already, but I wanted to come here to see if anyone else is noticing this crazy bug. Both Neera and Dorn cannot be hit by melee or archer for more than their max hitpoints minus 1.

So for example, if Dorn has 8 HP, he cannot be hit for more than 7 hitpoints by melee weapon or bow.

I don't even understand how this bug could come about... Doesn't seem to affect Rasaad, any other NPCs I've picked up, or CHARNAME.

Anyone else seeing this? I want to make sure I'm not alone.

EDIT: Spell damage may apply to this issue as well. I will test it tonight.
Post edited by Linkamus on

Comments

• seasea Member Posts: 65
    Maybe it's intentional, to stop the cute elf girls from being gibbed. Can't romance gibs. Well, at least without mods.
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    Odd. I had Dorn get one-shot several times by Graywolf the other night. But, then, his sword does d8 damage plus an additional 1 cold, so that could be why.
  • LinkamusLinkamus Member Posts: 221
    With Neera at 8 HP, I let an ogre beat on her on insane difficulty. It did 7 damage to her every time.
    edited November 2012
    Which, in insane difficulty, 7 damage should be impossible to achieve since damage done to you is x2, which guarantees an even number.
  • KholdstareKholdstare Member Posts: 160
    Huh, that's interesting. Definitely seems like a bug unless these characters have some sort of special plot armor. :P
  • WorgWorg Member Posts: 170
    Well, I dont know about this. I have trouble getting Dorn to survive an encounter without getting one-shoted. I am seriously thinking of just giving him a bow.
  • RapscallionRapscallion Member Posts: 81
    Absolutely wrong. I've had Neera and Dorn 1shot numerous times. In fact, they get 1shot (or just killed) nearly all the time, they seem like arrow magnets. So far, the new NPCs are the only ones that have died in my game. Excepting that one time Viconia died because I forgot to give her any gear...
  • PantalionPantalion Member Posts: 2,137
    My Neera still has 4 HP and is one-shotted constantly.
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    Ypou may find that playing on the default setting (normal) means that characters cannot be permanently killed - meaning that maybe instead of killing neera but preventing her from getting gibbed, the game is setting her hp to 1 instead? I certainly havent had this problem, Neera has perma-died many ttimes for me on core rules
  • JaxsbudgieJaxsbudgie Member Posts: 600

Excepting that one time Viconia died because I forgot to give her any gear...

A likely story ... pervert.
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853

KIVAN x VICONIA 4EVA!!!111
  • RapscallionRapscallion Member Posts: 81
    Quartz said:

Just as an aside, I just so happened to have recruited Kivan moments before Viconia. I had completely forgotten about Kivan's hatred for the woman until the 'I hope Viconia's soul rots in hell' statement after her death. Is it ever explained why he hates her so much? She doesn't seem to return the feeling, indeed upon his death doesn't she say something like 'It's a shame he never understood me" (paraphrasing).
  • PantalionPantalion Member Posts: 2,137

Quartz said:

Just as an aside, I just so happened to have recruited Kivan moments before Viconia. I had completely forgotten about Kivan's hatred for the woman until the 'I hope Viconia's soul rots in hell' statement after her death. Is it ever explained why he hates her so much? She doesn't seem to return the feeling, indeed upon his death doesn't she say something like 'It's a shame he never understood me" (paraphrasing).
    Hot mutual elf-on-elf hate. Drow and surface elves stereotypically loathe each other to a hilarious degree.
    I don't understand why I am the only one experiencing this bug... Maybe it has something to do with the fact that I am playing on insane difficulty?
  • CalmarCalmar Member Posts: 688
    Maybe the game isn't about cute Neera getting hurt?
    Linkamus said:

With Neera at 8 HP, I let an ogre beat on her on insane difficulty. It did 7 damage to her every time.

Maybe the game isn't about cute Neera getting hurt?! Think about it! :P
    edited November 2012
    In the bugs thread I've had a few people confirm that they are indeed having the same issue.

http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/comment/160436#Comment_160436
    I did testing tonight. I started a new party, picked up Montoron, Xzar, and Imoen. All 4 party members were under 14 HP. All 4 party members could not be one shotted... So Avenger_teambg was completely correct that any character that has less than 14 MAX HP cannot be one shotted when they are FULL hp. What a WEIRD mechanic... I honestly think it should be removed. It just makes no sense.