Skip to content

Tips for an Assassin runthrough?

I was thinking of trying to play BGEE as an Assassin for the longest time, I never really understood how stealth worked in BG1 or BG2. Mostly because of how you can use stealth in the middle of broad daylight, and the rules mention "Hide in shadows".

Does anyone have any tips for playing an Assassin and is it very difficult to solo with?

Comments

• raywindraywind Member Posts: 289
    at daylight use shadows from trees to better success on hiding or just play only during night time. Indoors use walls for hiding run around a corner and hide go back in ect. single weapon style for better crit rate. and are you soloing or with full party?
  • CuddlebugCuddlebug Member Posts: 11
    Well I was hoping to solo instead of using a full party to spice things up a little.
    Well thats the way i have played it and with assassin the only thing i couldnt do was durlags tower. As i said before only play during night time for easier hiding, get all potion of invisibility you can get and all oils of speed for running away after stab to hide again. First few levels ARE hard if you dont know which enemies to kill to get levels fast, but in the end it was one of the easiest solo runs i have had.
  • FatalFatal Member Posts: 54
    edited November 2012
    Just finished black pits with an assassin in group, He was good using hide in shadow near the pillars in the center of the map, and duel welding daggers, Kept throwing haste on him to help him run around but otherwise he was backstabbing like crazy
  • CuddlebugCuddlebug Member Posts: 11
    What race would be best suited for an Assassin runthrough?
    I used elf for charm/sleep resist for easier starting exp making.
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    Elf. 19 Dex + Elf gets the highest hiding bonuses at character generation. Their lock picking takes a hit but you're running an assassin, so somehow I doubt that's the end of the world for you.
  • Oxford_GuyOxford_Guy Member Posts: 3,729
    edited November 2012
    Quartz said:

Elf. 19 Dex + Elf gets the highest hiding bonuses at character generation. Their lock picking takes a hit but you're running an assassin, so somehow I doubt that's the end of the world for you.

I thought 19 Dex + halfling got the best hiding bonuses? See: http://www.pocketplane.net/volothamp/thief.htm

An elf is probably a better assassin overall, though, as gets the elf +1 THACO for bows and all swords (halfling gets +1 THAC0 with a sling) , and can have 18 (17 for halfing) strength (which on it's own is not much better than 17, though can boost to 19 to a time which is *much* better), though the halfling Con-based bonuses to saving throws are more useful overall than the ELf's 90% resistance to charm/sleep. A halfling can romance Viconia in BG2, though, which an elf can't :-)
    Now when i think of it, dont use assassin kit IF you arent going to remove exp cap with the cap normal thief is way better.