Skip to content

Default Frame Rate (Updates Per Second)

BoasterBoaster Member Posts: 622
edited September 2012 in Site Resources
Can anyone on the BGEE team disclose what the Default {Frame Rate / AI Updates per Second} is going to be?

I've noticed that in BG1 and BG2 that the AI updates were set to 30. The maximum updates could be 60.

Essentially, the updates per second has an effect on the speed of the game.

Is there any plan to raise the default and/or also raise the ceiling (maximum) as far as updates per second?
Post edited by Coriander on
ElectricMonkAntontena

Comments

• ElectricMonkElectricMonk Member Posts: 599
    @Boaster Yeah this would be nice to know, I wonder if/how this function will be implemented in BG:EE. I usually raise it.
  • ZafiroZafiro Member Posts: 436
    I think the default value(30) is great as it is, even on 1280/1024; remember Boots of Speed and Haste, things run fast enough.
  • GraysonACGraysonAC Member Posts: 6
    Doubt it would be higher than 30fps. Updating visual fps faster than that isn't going to help a sprite-based 2D game much, particularly with the AI locked at 30.

They've mentioned the source art was lost as well, making FPS upgrades even more unlikely, as they won't be redoing animations etc without a LOT of redoing work.
    AndreaColombo
  • ElectricMonkElectricMonk Member Posts: 599
    They've mentioned the source art was lost as well, making FPS upgrades even more unlikely, as they won't be redoing animations etc without a LOT of redoing work.
    @GraysonAC The source art being lost isn't relevant to this as far as I know. The original Baldur's Gate games had a slider in the config program that controlled this, it was set at default to 30 and could be raised manually. Increasing this didn't implement any new art or animation files, it just affected those already in place, which should work equally well in BG:EE.
    Doubt it would be higher than 30fps. Updating visual fps faster than that isn't going to help a sprite-based 2D game much, particularly with the AI locked at 30.
    @GraysonAC You seem to be separating the AI updates from the FPS, this option was an AI Updates/Frame Refresh slider, it affected the overall speed of the game, and as it worked fine before with basically the same game engine BG:EE will be using, I'm pretty sure there's a good chance of it being present in BG:EE.

@Zafiro I agree that the default value is fine and the game does run pretty fast already, but I usually prefer to put it up to 35. It isn't a huge difference or anything. just a slight increase in the overall speed of the game that I prefer.
  • BoasterBoaster Member Posts: 622
    The purpose of boosting the FPS I think would have an effect on scripts and AI response times.
  • mars0124mars0124 Member Posts: 180
    The purpose, for me, is to make the game faster. Plain and simple.

I'll admit Trent and co, I feel disappointed at the loss of this feature. I'm not sure I want to play the game at a crawl.
  • AndtalathAndtalath Member Posts: 23
    This is really my main issue as well.
    The only reason for me not to play it with 60 fps is due to the number bugs with romances due to it (most notably that the timers were based on real-word time), and I hope a more intelligent way is used in EE.