Skip to content

Weapon/Class/Race Restrictions

Would it be possible to remove some restrictions such as allowing any class to be a paladin. It doesn't make sense that only humans can be paladins. Any race should be able to be a paladin or priest for their god. Also I think that certain classes should not be restricted from certain weapons. I wanted to know if druids could be allowed to use bows. I never understood why the AD&D rule set restricted these things. Any class except magesand sorcerers should be able to use most if not all weapons. I would appreciate if this could be explored.

Comments

• kilroy_was_herekilroy_was_here Member Posts: 455
    These are the actual PnP DnD rules for the edition used to make the game. I believe any race can be a priest but only humans can be paladins because only humans were accepted into paladins orders and could be trained. Yeah, it's pretty stupid but that's how it was written.

The priests being restricted to only blunt weapons is quasi-historical. Around the time of the Crusades many priests went to war, but were told that 'God forbids you to shed blood in combat' so they fought with flails and maces... which still shed blood but are somehow still ok. Druids can't use most weapons with metal in them... except scimtars for some reason. Bows may be banned because they're associated with hunting?

By the time NWN came around 3rd edition was out, so the main 'face' of the game was the elven paladin, to help players realize that the old restrictions had been removed.

But other than mods things like this cannot be changed since they have to keep to the AD&D ruleset. :(