Skip to content

Spears?

Hi all, it's been years since I played D&D so I need a little help - how do spears work in 2nd edition? I was looking through the skills in character creation and fancied making a hoplite style guy, but I can't remember if that's possible. Can you use spears with one hand? Or are they two handers or even thrown weapons?

Comments

• CaptRoryCaptRory Member Posts: 1,660
    I'm pretty sure they're all 2h weapons, so you can't use as shield with them.
  • PilchensteinPilchenstein Member Posts: 1
    Well that's shafted that plan, cheers for the response.
  • AbelAbel Member Posts: 785
    And they should do piercing damage (like short weapons and missiles).
  • ZanathKariashiZanathKariashi Member Posts: 2,869
    You really don't wanna use spears anyway. Baldur's Gate 1 has almost none, and BG2 only has a handful, though one very late game (ToB) spear is pretty nice...still...they're actually worse as a weapon class then clubs...which is sad when ya think about it.
  • CaptRoryCaptRory Member Posts: 1,660
    You could make a character that uses spears and sword and shield and maybe slings. That would represent several ancient archetypes. Just figure out what weapon you do want to use with a shield.
  • HoiusHoius Member Posts: 27
    Unfortunately spears in BG 1 & 2 are pretty weak weapons. I also wanted to use a spear and shield, but all spears are 2-handed (and NO, they can't be thrown - another downside). I think it would be great if they added those possibilities in a future patch (spear + shield (maybe all shield types except the large one?) and throwing spears), even if it's not a part of classic AD&D rules.
  • Space_hamsterSpace_hamster Member Posts: 950
    edited November 2012
    Go with Halberds, they look cooler anyway. Better to poke your enemy with! ;)
    There are a couple good spears and halberds in the game, but they are under-represented in BG1. However, if you look hard, you'll find them.
  • HoiusHoius Member Posts: 27
    Oh yeah, halberds are fine, they do good damage (1d10 if I remember correctly) and not only slashing, but also piercing damage! On my first playthrough (BG1 and 2) I used namely a halberd and I can say it's pretty good (although also pretty slow).