Skip to content

Quest money depends on charisma

GrogGrog Member Posts: 3
If you want to push the relevance of the attribute charisma, than you can implement more dialog options. That makes sense and I like it but I think sometimes are the implementation costs to high for the benefit of this feature.
I think the manipulation of the quest money is a good alternative and easier to implement.
WolfheartRaveliLexDukeOfSuffolkXasilUlfgar_Torunn

Comments

• RavelRavel Member Posts: 140
    I like this idea. I'm not sure about this, but does reputation already affect this? If not, then I'd suggest reputation be worked into quest gold reward as well.
    Xasil
  • RenshtalisRenshtalis Member Posts: 136
    I agree, also char should have an affect on npc's alignment as well. Truly magnetic people are able to sway others core values over to their own, just look at religious conversion! So an all fallen pally or all fallen ranger party would be possible!
  • iLexiLex Member Posts: 20
    edited July 2012
    @Grog: I like this idea too. It is good to give charisma a bigger influence in the game.

@Renshtalis: Although you are right that truly charismatic people can do a lot, it is more complex than that. There is also the susceptibility of the 'target' involved.
    For example if someone, however charismatic, was trying to convince me to divorce my wife now I would not do that. But if my wife just cheated on me, I would be far more susceptible to the idea. If however, my wife cheated on me and someone very charismatic tried to convince me to kill her, I would still not do that as it is against almost everything I believe in.
    Susceptibility is based on intelligence, situation, emotional strength and core values (and probably more).
    Good 'religious converter's have a very good judgement (of the weakness) of people and manage to exploit that. Most people who join or change religion do so in a moment of doubt, fear, curiosity, sadness etc. and/or they are outwitted by the 'converter'.
    While you could of course simplify this system I don't think you can come up with something that makes it believable to mass convert stable intelligent people in the game, especially not paladins who have spent their life believing (knowing!) that what they do is the right thing.
    RenshtalisDrugarBoaster
  • RenshtalisRenshtalis Member Posts: 136
    iLex said:

@Grog: I like this idea too. It is good to give charisma a bigger influence in the game.

To
    @Renshtalis: Although you are right that truly charismatic people can do a lot, it is more complex than that. There is also the susceptibility of the 'target' involved.
    For example if someone, however charismatic, was trying to convince me to divorce my wife now I would not do that. But if my wife just cheated on me, I would be far more susceptible to the idea. If however, my wife cheated on me and someone very charismatic tried to convince me to kill her, I would still not do that as it is against almost everything I believe in.
    Susceptibility is based on intelligence, situation, emotional strength and core values (and probably more).
    Good 'religious converter's have a very good judgement (of the weakness) of people and manage to exploit that. Most people who join or change religion do so in a moment of doubt, fear, curiosity, sadness etc. and/or they are outwitted by the 'converter'.
    While you could of course simplify this system I don't think you can come up with something that makes it believable to mass convert stable intelligent people in the game.

Totally agree! Also, however, remember that in the context of this particular game, the education level of the npc's would be far far less than we have today in our enlightened society! Look at the third reich for instance, a bunch of educated ppl all going against things they believed to follow a mad man! You or I are also the type that couldn't
    be hypnotized because we are far too rational, but we are products of our modern world, put us back in the 1500's
    And I think you would find we were much more susceptible to people with high intelligence and magnetic personalities.
  • iLexiLex Member Posts: 20
    edited July 2012
    @Renshtalis: Well, to be honest I wouldn't dare say I am not susceptible to any kind of persuasion. I was just giving an example. Although I currently feel very stable I am sure I have some weakness somewhere. For example I have desires and hopes... both of which could be played on.

You are right about the education and also general access to knowledge. We now live in a time in which we can find all perspectives on an idea or a story and find our own path in it. That would've been very different 'back in the days'. But at least an intelligence check would be in place as well as the charisma check. After that the game should look at how deep the involved emotions or faith or whatever is at stake are rooted in the target and if the current situation has any influence on that. The game should even check if any of the current emotions the NPC might have might influence his ability to think clearly (I think your Third Reich example is an example of how emotions, mostly fear, clouded people's rational judgements). These things would make it difficult to implement I think, but they are needed to make huge changes in characters believable.
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    There are a lot of quests at the start of bg1 which really do depend a lot on charisma. However, these quickly tail off, and there aren't many at all in bg2. I would overall just like to see more stat dependent dialouge options in both games. All other infinity engine and d&d games have been really good at this, so it seems like a failing unique to the bg series
  • DukeOfSuffolkDukeOfSuffolk Member Posts: 22
    I really like this idea, however I have three reservations.

Gold can really give you a major advantage. It may make the game a lot easier.

The 2nd is more of a preference, maybe. I found it a challenge to buy those few magic items they teased me with in the beginning of the game (e.g. shadow armor in BG1, and a LOT of items in BG2). I tried so hard to save my money to buy them throughout the game! This reward of patience will be lost if you focus on high charisma.

Lastly, what do you do about the (now) obvious advantage to charismatic based classes?
  • BoasterBoaster Member Posts: 622
    Doesn't Silke and Garrick offer you money depending on your charisma value already?
  • sozcapssozcaps Member Posts: 16
    Grog said:

If you want to push the relevance of the attribute charisma, than you can implement more dialog options. That makes sense and I like it but I think sometimes are the implementation costs to high for the benefit of this feature.
    I think the manipulation of the quest money is a good alternative and easier to implement.

More dialogue options that *might* gain you better rewards, definitely.

Passive ability that just grants you more money because your character has 18 charisma? Ehh not so much. Your idea would work well. It does already in plenty of RPGs, D&D and otherwise.