Skip to content

Dorn in a Good Party?

Does anyone know what will happen if I keep Dorn in my good party? I remember playing that game when I was younger and i had Kagain(Evil) in my party. My reputation was at maximum (20?). At some random point, he just leave the party.

So now, I have Dorn, and I want to know approximatively what reputation I should have to keep him.

Also, I have Ajantis in my team. He didn't agree for taking Dorn (obviously). I there any chance they fight each other and one of them leave?

Thanks!

Comments

• MaconaMacona Member Posts: 70
    Just keep your reputation 18 or lower. Murder a peasant in a house if it's a risk of getting any higher.

By the mid game you should have enough money to buy what you want, so a 20 rep won't be that important. (Also, a leader with a really high charisma should be able to the best reactions from people)

• SkullburnSkullburn Member Posts: 25
    Is there really a chance of fighting between those two... Is it a fact? This can really happen? Because I got only 10 in charisma I think...
  • VissiousVissious Member Posts: 53
    Yes skullburn, elements within your party that are at opposite end of the alignment spectrum will eventually come to blows with one another, and when one of those is a vengefull half-orc rage-machine you had better bring a bucket and a body-bag for the *other* guy :(
  • SkullburnSkullburn Member Posts: 25
    Aaah... I think I will have to review my party. :P Do you think I can still do the Side quest of Dorn if I remove him from the team?
  • VissiousVissious Member Posts: 53
    Probably not, since its resolution will require him to do some scripted dialogue (I haven't picked him up yet so I can't be sure). I wouldn't bet on it, anyway.
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    I've played with a LOT of mixed parties. I reckon if you keep Dorn separate from real goody-two shoes (like Ajantis or Yeslick) then you'll be fine. Folks such as Kivan (Chaotic Good) probably won't pick a fight with him.
  • darthchairdarthchair Member Posts: 191
    @HandofCrom Best first post ever!
  • RicoRico Member Posts: 22
    I can't seem to get Dorn to join my party. I went up and talked to him once and no option was presented. Now when I try to talk to him he just tells me to go away.
  • HandofCromHandofCrom Member Posts: 16
    I thought he wouldn't join because I'm a paladin, but later on I got an event (going to Nashkel or the mines, I can't remember which) where I got the opportunity to recruit him. He's pretty rad. The kit has lovely abilities, the voice actor is stylish, and his side quest seems the best developed.
  • PsychoblondePsychoblonde Member Posts: 14
    @Rico You have to go to the Nashkel mines and a random encounter crops up. I was baffled at this too.

If you want hilarity, though, I have Neera in my group atm, and when I went to the Friendly Arm she was standing in the corner.
  • forest39forest39 Member Posts: 17
    I cant imagine that would go well for Ajantis, i cant have Dorn though because I am too good of a person, though Ajantis wouldnt be a problem because *spoiler alert*

I accidentally left Ajantis in the Cloakwood mines when i recruited yeslick, and than forget about him and blew the water seal thing, so I am pretty sure Ajantis drowned
  • VnavekulVnavekul Member Posts: 181
    edited December 2012
    I have two questions. So I can just take him back after he leaves with my reputation at 20? Does that give me the -2 reputation-hit every time or? And, he only fights with Ajantis, I hear. No Ajantis then.
  • TehCerealKillerTehCerealKiller Member Posts: 56
    Ajantis blows anyway
  • Nic_MercyNic_Mercy Member Posts: 418
    I wonder if Dorn has (or will have) any options to redeem him like a certain other bad guy who gets thrust into your party in ToB.
  • HandofCromHandofCrom Member Posts: 16
    @LukevanV: I only took the -2 reputation when I first got Dorn, not when he does his playing hard to get bit where he drops out of the party, walks over to me and asks why I kicked him out of the party, and rejoins with no hard feelings. I've also had a 19 charisma for a while, so that might be related.
  • RicoRico Member Posts: 22

@Rico You have to go to the Nashkel mines and a random encounter crops up. I was baffled at this too.

If you want hilarity, though, I have Neera in my group atm, and when I went to the Friendly Arm she was standing in the corner.

That's funny. I didn't notice her there. I did finally hit that random encounter/cut scene.
  • CutlassJackCutlassJack Member Posts: 493
    Whats funnier is I removed Neera from my group and she's standing in the Friendly Arms right next to the other Neera. I blame Wild Surges.
  • DeviijaDeviija Member Posts: 37
    edited December 2012
    I ran a good party and had no trouble with Dorn, other than him repeatedly leaving the party and moving to the PC to ask if you want to part ways. That's only if you have an 18+ Reputation, though. But he doesn't suddenly leave and call you names for being a good person or whatever.

The only (serious) issue I have seen with him have with the other NPCs is Ajantis. They can come to blows when you try recruiting Dorn with Ajantis there. It happened with my PC that had an 18 charisma. Ajantis objects very vocally and intensely to Dorn.
  • kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
    Casting raise dead on: "Dorn in a Good Party?" thread.

Helm of opposite alignment for you dude (if the engine recongize the alignment change and invert Dorn's answers to high/low rep, what i think the game doesn't do). But a... neutral good dorn blackguard seems a bit broken for me. But hey, it's your game, broken or not play as you like.
  • ElhonnaDSElhonnaDS Member Posts: 1
    Ok- here's a question. If you do put the helm of opposite alignment on Dorn, will that prevent him from coming to blows with Ajantis. I am contemplating a party with both in the hopes that BG2 will give me a way to redeem Dorn, and am hoping that the helm will fix the character incompatibility issue. Also, are there any other known character conflicts for Dorn? I'm planning on rolling with Dorn, Ajantis, Coren, Kivan and Rasaad unless I can't make that work.

Also, while I have read that Ajantis won't be happy if you recruit Dorn with him in the party, does it work if you have Dorn and recruit Ajantis?
  • francofranco Member Posts: 507
    edited May 2013

Whats funnier is I removed Neera from my group and she's standing in the Friendly Arms right next to the other Neera. I blame Wild Surges.

It would be fun to see what happens if you recruit her again. Also, if you lose her in battle, instead of paying for a resurrection you might try going back and recruiting her double. Plenty of great experiments there. But save before you approach the second one.

The ultimate experiment might be to try to recruit her while she's already in the party. Be sure your feet are grounded.

• ParasolsyndicateParasolsyndicate Member Posts: 54
    I can confirm that HelmetDorn still initiates dialogue as if he's evil. That makes me think that he'd still get into fights with some party members.

However, the barfly paladin no longer attacks your group.
  • kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
    The helm is only asthetic fix, it will not change any banter or behavior (he will still attack ajantis).