Skip to content

Persistent Zoom! Not only is it requested, it's necessary!

Okay, this is a feature that's absolutely necessary in the iOS version of the game, so let's try and get it in the PC version, too.

Basically, the default zoom level is too high, and every time you transition from one area to another, the 'camera' resets the zoom level to default. This means that gamers like myself who want to play the game the way it was meant to be played (the fog-of-war should never be visible with the camera centered over the party) have to CONSTANTLY adjust the zoom.

It's particularly annoying in cities where we're constantly moving in and out of buildings, up and down stairs, etc.

The solution is simple: let the game remember what level the zoom is set to and leave it there for every area until the player changes is.

And/or allow the player to set the default zoom. I'd also greatly appreciate this option (in addition to zoom memory) because the in-game cut-scene all use the default zoom level, which is WAAAAY too far up.

Comments

• DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    I'd propose the following:

Create an option in the Graphics menu, "Lock Zoom level", that does exactly what you said. Not everyone wants it to lock in. Some people want it to be able to reset itself.

Then create a hot key that resets the zoom level to the default. If you screw up your favorite zoom, it'd be great to be able to get it back at the push of a button. (iOS users should probably get a button in the UI that does this.)

Lastly, allow the default zoom level to be set within baldur.ini (the line is already there, it just doesn't do anything). So if you always play at Zoom 5, you can set it to Zoom 5 and it will read your default zoom at that level every time you load up the game.
  • IkonNavrosIkonNavros Member Posts: 227
    Hi there!

Just want to know if it is possible to add a button to be able to shut on/off the "ground zooming level" - which is always present in the game, no matter if you zoom in/out manually.

People should have the right to watch the game in "Source Quality - without any forced "root-zoom feature which is constantly present"

• hansolohansolo Member Posts: 136
    It would be nice if the zoom level would be remembered.
    If not in a config file, then at least during one gaming session.
    As of now, during every area transition, the zoom level resets always to the default value.
    Quite a bit annoying ;)
    edited December 2012
    @hansolo That feature would also be cool. But i was talking more about the zoom level that is added to the game and can not be removed by the users.

We should have the free choice if we want to play the EE in "Widescreen Mod/Original Game" Quality or Enhanced Edition with Ground-Zoom Quality.

All what would be needed for that is a small switch which turns the root-zoom-feature off :D
    BTW. it would be interesting to know if the Auto-Zoom runs also in background when you manually zoom in - THAT would harm the graphic Twice in a Row..... Which would be Epic Fail!

Thats a serious questions to the Devs... True or not?
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    Threads merged.
    Oh.. i wondered what happened to my thread... For one moment i was thinking i was way too rude in that post, good to see i was not :D