Skip to content

Neera's Voice

Anyone else find that the voice acting for Neera is... well... bad? Rasaad (who I hate mechanicially but like otherwise) has great voice acting, Dorn is alright but still much better than Neera. Who was the voice actor for Neera? It sounds like someone at Overhaul got nagged enough by their girlfriend to let them voice one of the NPC's and that girlfriend was definitely an amateur.

Comments

• ImperatorImperator Member Posts: 154
    I've really started to hate her battlecry. How many times must she make that same observation about the uncertain nature of her foes death?
  • GoodSteveGoodSteve Member Posts: 607
    edited December 2012
    wht111 said:

Are you kidding me?
    She has absolutely fantastic voice (voice actress is Nicola Elbro btw.)
    Neera is so far my favorite character in the game.

Wow, really? THE Nicola Elbro? From my quick google search she seems to be a nobody. She has 4 titles under her belt on IMDB and each one is roughly 3 years apart (long time to go without work if your a professional voice actor). I've got an understanding of why she's so swamped with work after hearing the voice acting on Neera.

She simply doesn't sound good. Her delivery seems forced and unenthused... just sloppy. Compared to the other amazing voice sets for the rest of the NPC's she has by FAR the worst one... like it's not even close.
  • awin123awin123 Member Posts: 55
    I like her voice set, hate hate hate hate her battlecry.
  • CaptRoryCaptRory Member Posts: 1,660
    Heehee~ I love her battlecry.

*Magic Missile becomes Fireball* "Fire. Definitely fire."
  • DeltaslayerDeltaslayer Member Posts: 49
    I like the voices of all new NPCs, and I think her voice suits her portrait very well...
  • The_CheesemanThe_Cheeseman Member Posts: 175
    I like her a lot, actually. She's more fun than the old "generic stoic badass" Dorn, or "forced artificial accent" Rasaad. That being said, I find no serious fault with any of their performances. Keep in mind that much of your complaint could very well have been her direction, not her performance. I notice that non-actors tend to blame actors many times for the faults of the writers and directors. An actor's job is to realize the character the writer invented as the director envisions it. In a perfect world, this is achieved via collaboration between all three individuals, but more often than not, the actor just has to give the director what he wants, or the director will find somebody who will.
  • Stargazer5781Stargazer5781 Member Posts: 183
    I think she sounds great :)
  • NonnahswriterNonnahswriter Member Posts: 2,520
    I never disliked Neera's voice, but I do admit, she definitely doesn't seem to fit the BG universe. She just sounds so hip, and modern, and young, and...*not* medieval at all. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing if you like that direction, but it makes her really stand out from the rest of the older cast.
  • EdwinEdwin Member Posts: 480
    While I agree that Neera sounds a little out of place and anachronistic what stood out in OP's critique to me was the merely adequate or barely passing judgment rendered on Dorn's voice actor who I thought was fairly amazing.
  • Jean_LucJean_Luc Member Posts: 228

I like her a lot, actually. She's more fun than the old "generic stoic badass" Dorn, or "forced artificial accent" Rasaad.

Yeah, the "Neeshka/Quara highschool crossoever" is so much better.

Both characters I liked in the NWN games, thus showing that there are many opinions among gamers!
  • GoodSteveGoodSteve Member Posts: 607
    edited December 2012
    @Jean_Luc actually mentioning Neeshka is quite interesting. I would say that the Neeshka character exhibits much of the same modern style as Neera and is definitely "quirky" much like Neera is but I find the voice acting on Neeshka to be much much better than Neera.

On the whole I'm not a huge fan of any of the voice acting in NWN2 but as shakey as it was I still find it much preferable to the voice acting of Neera.

I'm also not convinced on the whole "not the actors fault the director wanted it that way" line of thought.

"Ok... ok, good take Jessica. I have a suggestion though, could you do that again but this time... a little shittier on the delivery, if you please."
    While I respect your opinion on the matter, I would like to call attention to the fact that adjectives like "bad", "amateur", and "shitty" don't really provide much in the way of objective criticism. I obviously have no intention of trying to change your mind, but if you were to detail specifically what aspects of her performance you didn't like, it would provide a better starting point for analysis.
  • LordRumfishLordRumfish Member Posts: 937
    Actually, I had more issues with the guy voicing the red wizard in Neera's quest. He sounded really artificial and forced. Neera maybe isn't as great as Dorn and Rasaad (loved the work on those two), but I thought Neera's voice acting was good work also, just not quite jaw-dropping.

Personally, I think a scattered, distractible young wild mage works well with a hip, slightly modern voice set. They could have worked harder to make her feel medieval, but I don't take issue with it.
    I don't find her sounding anachronistic a valid criticism, when the original NPCs make pop culture references (looking at you, Tzar) and break the fourth wall with lines like, "One day, Tiax will point and click!"
  • ZarakinthishZarakinthish Member Posts: 214

Actually, I had more issues with the guy voicing the red wizard in Neera's quest. He sounded really artificial and forced.

I kind of liked Ekandor's voice. It reminded me of Hannibal Lecter.
    ::shrug:: To each their own, I'm not gonna knock someone else for liking something I don't. And yes, Cheeseman, I agree that they all break the 4th wall a bit. Edwin makes a reference to mouse-clicking magic I believe.
  • SilverstarSilverstar Member Posts: 2,207
    I think it's allright. Really. Some of her lines does get really old seeing as they're supposed to be quirky or "funny", but that's a problem with her character rather than voice acting. And it's really no worse than Minsc WHO TALKS LIKE THIS ALL THE TIME, but for some reason he gets a free pass from everyone. And none of Neera's, or any other NPCs', lines come even close to being as annoying as Yes, oh omni-present authority figure?.

End of the day it's all a matter of taste.
  • LadyEibhilinRhettLadyEibhilinRhett Member Posts: 1,078
    I think her voice is cute. :D
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    I think she sounds nice. And cute, but with an edge. Not overly cute pink butterfly style like Alora, or childish and playful like Imoen. I think the devs and the sound actress managed to create an unique an interesting character. I agree she sounds a bit hip and modern than the medieval norm, but she is CN, and a wild mage, most of the commoners in medieval times will think her as the CCC:Crazy Cute Chick.
    The less forgiving commoners might make that "constantly calamitous concubine."
  • CommunardCommunard Member Posts: 556
    edited December 2012
    I didn't like that she was American at first (doesn't really fit with the game), but she's started to grow on me. The voice actor is talented, it was just the accent I had a problem with, no idea why people have started hating on her...

I don't find her sounding anachronistic a valid criticism, when the original NPCs make pop culture references (looking at you, Tzar) and break the fourth wall with lines like, "One day, Tiax will point and click!"

There is a bit of a difference between a one off-reference and the constant sound of someone's voice, though. The accent is even appears in moments that are supposed to be serious or immersive.
  • CoM_SolaufeinCoM_Solaufein Member Posts: 2,607
    Neera has a sweet voice.
  • ElendarElendar Member Posts: 831

Whats a Tzar?