Skip to content

Recruiting Edwin after refusing him in his first encounter?

I tried searching for this, but couldn't find anything. As my party is good-aligned I didn't let Edwin join, and I played on for a couple of hours. After that I did some reading regarding spellcasters, as my party was sorely lacking (made up of 2 fighters, a ranger, a thief, a monk and a fighter/druid). When I found out that Edwin seems to be a hilarious NPC and a capable caster I somewhat regretted shooing him off... Is it possible for me to recruit him (without reloading and loosing a couple of hours of progress), and if so, how well will he do in my party? Will there be fighting (I'm thinking about giving Minsc the boot anyway)?

Thanks!

Comments

• moody_magemoody_mage Member Posts: 2,054
    I can't quite remember - possibly it depends on how you brushed him off. Go talk to him again I guess.
  • MasMas Member Posts: 2
    I think I was pretty polite, the problem is that he walked off from that place by the bridge where I found him. I was thinking that there might be a place where he would hang out, like the Friendly Arms Inn or something.
  • moody_magemoody_mage Member Posts: 2,054
    He may be in the Belching Dragon (?) Which is in Nashkel, not the inn at the top but the pub across the bridge near the other farm houses where Volo is lurking. I could be wrong here though, I'm just guessing.
  • Space_hamsterSpace_hamster Member Posts: 950
    Well, in the original game once you refuse some characters into the party, they disappear forever. If he is still around, he'll be nearby that bridge, best is to search that whole area including the tavern, but if he is gone then that is probably it. The time of day may make a difference as well... Try sleeping in the inn for a day or two, then going back to the bridge, he may reappear.
  • MasMas Member Posts: 2
    I've looked around in the area, but no Edwin! I guess I have been spoiled with recent games beeing very forgiving regarding decision making, and shall have to think twice in upcoming encounters.
  • VakzVakz Member Posts: 2
    I've been trying to find an answer to this for the better part of the evening as well. Tried staying in the inn for a few days, looked around the entire zone. Can't find him. Is there really no way at all to get him? I'd even go so far as console commands, if someone could tell me how..
  • kilroy_was_herekilroy_was_here Member Posts: 455
    I don't think you can summon NPCs via console commands. There may be a command to 'reset' Edwin to his original state (before you first talked to him) but I don't know what that would be.

Unfortunately BG was pretty unforgiving when you turned an NPC down. In a state of total dejection they went on to live sad, unhappy NPC lives never knowing the glory that could have been theirs if only you had let them come along... :P

If you had already recruited an NPC and they still liked you (compatible rep and you didn't ignore their personal quest) you could sometimes get them to hang out in a fixed place. At least I think that's how it worked. It's been a looong time since I've played BG1 without it being heavily modded.