Skip to content

[Request] Doubleclick in inventory

Daedalus87mDaedalus87m Member Posts: 92
Edit: Was in BUG forum, but obviously it's not a bug but a design flaw, that has to be polished.

When you click on an item in your inventory (e.g. you want to move an item) then sometimes the game does a doubleclick, and you deselect that item again.
It shouldn't doubleclick obviously.
It's really annoying if you want to move lots of items.
This bug exists on every Infinity Engine game I played EXCEPT Planescape Torment.
Post edited by Daedalus87m on
LuneverpowerfulallykangaxxKienaBhryaen

Comments

• AndreaColomboAndreaColombo Member Posts: 5,524
    @Daedalus87m - just checking if I'm getting this right: do you mean things like, I'm trying to move a stack of 40 arrows from one character to another, but the game doubleclicks and I find myself in front of the screen used to change to amount of arrows stacked? 'cause that was seriously bothersome.
    Daedalus87m
  • lansounetlansounet Member Posts: 1,182
    I get that a lot, and when using console, numpad can enter up to 5 times the number for 1 keypress
  • Daedalus87mDaedalus87m Member Posts: 92
    edited June 2012
    @AndreaColombo Yes, but I also mean like you just click on an item like a club, a sword or whatever in your inventory not only arrows, and the game does a double leftclick which causes the item to be dropped at the same slot it was before instead of being on your mouse (or opens the stack screen in case of arrows, potions etc.).
    Over the years I've experienced this bug on 4 different PCs, with all Infinity Engine games except Planescape Torment.
    Post edited by Daedalus87m on
    Lunever
  • LuneverLunever Member Posts: 307
    I suffer a lot from this bug too. Often, when taking an item with a left click it is immediately dropped in to the neighboring backpack slot or swapped with the item of that other slot.
    Daedalus87m
  • kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
    Options:

Drag the items instead of click on it (will help until a permanent solution appears)

Acess your mouse settings and adjust the double click speed there, also look if the lock click option is marked, if positive, unmark this option.

If that don't solve your problem... search somewere cos i'm out of options :)!
  • LuneverLunever Member Posts: 307
    It's not the mouse settings, it is a specific problem of the interface.
    I never played Planescape, but if people say it was fixed there, it should be possible to fix it in EE too.
  • kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
    I understand, but changing the settings of the mouse can for a time give solution to the problem. At least until someone mod a permanent solution.
  • DiscoCatDiscoCat Member Posts: 73
    The problem exists because BG allows you to move items in 2 ways:

1. (Diablo style) click on an item, move your mouse and click again to place it in the desired slot.
    2. (Fallout 1/2 style) click on an item, hold down the mouse button and release it after moving the item over the desired slot to place it there.

The problem occurs when you click on an item but move it so fast after clicking that you release the button after your cursor has already moved to a different slot. The game treats this action as a very swiftly executed aforementioned Fallout-style drag. Not sure how to fix it, Diablo 3 also has these 2 styles of moving items but the problem doesn't exist there so I assume that their programmers have found a way to avoid this, like adding a hidden timer for the minimum amount of time the mouse button needs to be pressed to consider the user action to be of the 2nd style.
  • BhryaenBhryaen Member Posts: 2,874
    This isn't a bug since it does work as intended, but it is also indeed a very annoying game engine system. It's annoying not just because you end up sometimes having to click out of the item separation window- a bother but just tedium- but also because the only way you can separate potions is to double-click them, and, given that a single-click becomes a force-drink of the potion, it makes separating out, say, Potion of Explosion (POTN26) a precarious effort... not to mention if you only have very few Potions of Invisibility (POTN10) and are seriously rationing them out to multiple party members but end up drinking them instead.

It might be better to put this in Feature Requests and rework the OP to outline a new inventory item separation system which involves something other than a double-click to get to it. Like, for ex., by right-clicking the item to get to the description screen and then having a button on the description screen that calls up the separation window. That's a bit more bother, but no double-click risks. Definitely double-clicking is a needless bother.