Skip to content

[Request] Remove Carry Weight (or significantly trim it down) for throwing axes

Considering how fast a fighter can hurl a full stack of throwing axes, they just aren't viable. Each axe weighs 5 whole pounds. It quickly overburdens anyone not at 18/91 or better strength, making it so they aren't a worthwhile weapon.

Comments

• elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    In the original game they were not this heavy. If I recall correctly a group of 5 axes weighted 5 pounds in BG1 Vanilla. I think BG2 changed this. Obviously not for the better.
    Correction. In the original game each throwing axe weighs 2 pounds
  • sandmanCCLsandmanCCL Member Posts: 1,389
    That's how heavy they were in BG2 and apparently that value stuck.

It's nonsense, really. They weigh more than just a regular battle axe, PER ONE, and they are supposed to be disposable? Wot.
  • RagingCeltikRagingCeltik Member Posts: 6
    That is odd. They're made to be thrown, stands to reason they should be lighter than one made for continuous use in battle. I would like to see the option to retrieve throwing axes and other projectiles. Just because they're thrown don't mean they disappear. Also unrealistic.
    edited November 2012

That's how heavy they were in BG2 and apparently that value stuck.

It's nonsense, really. They weigh more than just a regular battle axe, PER ONE, and they are supposed to be disposable? Wot.

You don't get it sandman, they are disposable. The parties that use them get disposed of, and the NPC's who kill them look down at their corpses and think "yea its not worth it". :D
    edited November 2012
    Ohh and looking at the bug forum it seems like there is no strength bonus from using throwing axes. Hopefully some of the enchanted ones get it.
  • MortiannaMortianna Member Posts: 1,356
    Agreed about the throwing axes. Same thing goes for throwing daggers. Having a mage starting out with a with dagger proficiency is less appealing when you know that a stack of 40 throwing daggers takes up 40 of your total encumbrance). Halving the weight would be fine by me.
  • ZanathKariashiZanathKariashi Member Posts: 2,869
    Or add a +1 returning axe for sale or on an enemy some where, there's already one +2 returning, but it's pretty much at the end of the game.