Skip to content

Would you donate to Baldur's Gate?

LuciusDeiLuciusDei Member Posts: 31
It's a simple question. With the increased popularity of Kickstarter projects, I'm curious to see how many fans would donate towards the Baldur's Gate series, so more resources and staff can be put to work on BG:EE, and more importantly, the development of BG2:EE, which may benefit more from additional funding.

Of course, it's doubtful they will open up the option for donations, but it would be nice to see if they would have the audience for it. The donation would of course be on top of the cost of the game itself. This poll is to see who would gladly give more money towards a potentially better product.
  1. Would you donate to Baldur's Gate?119 votes
    1. Yes.
      55.46%
    2. No.
      27.73%
    3. Possibly (explain).
      16.81%

Comments

• FrecheFreche Member Posts: 473
    As I see it, I have already donated.
    And I'm still waiting for the finished product.
  • ChowChow Member Posts: 1,192
    I love what they've been doing so far, and I'd be willing to throw some money to their direction if it meant more content and better contract details that they wouldn't otherwise get.

Also other Infinity Engine games Enhanced.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    I'm broke at the moment and even if that were to change I just don't see myself donating towards it. Depending upon how well it is received I'll buy it if it ever comes out though.
  • KeadinKeadin Member Posts: 7
    Not donate, no. But I'm very satisfied with the product and would be more than willing to pay for additional content if it came to that. They can finance BG2:EE with that :P
  • DeucetipherDeucetipher Member Posts: 521
    Though I don't really consider kickstarter as donating, more as "advance purchasing." Hell, I preordered BGEE pretty far in advance, and that is similar in nature if not length of time. Purchasing stuff, even far in advance, I can get behind, but a flat-out donation, nah.
  • DafojkDafojk Member Posts: 111
    For the love of this series, yes.
  • LordsDarkKnight185LordsDarkKnight185 Member Posts: 615
    It has been said before that due to contractual obligations they cannot do anything like Kickstarter for wizard owned IP's
  • ST4TICStrikerST4TICStriker Member Posts: 162
    Yes, but only if I get some kind of discount or the DLC for bgee is really awesome.
  • LuciusDeiLuciusDei Member Posts: 31
    edited December 2012
    @LordsDarkKnight185 The worst contract in history :(
  • IntoTheDarknessIntoTheDarkness Member Posts: 118
    edited December 2012
    We donated already. BG:EE is overpriced and buggy.
  • MungriMungri Member Posts: 1,645
    I already paid for the game so why would I donate?

Games I have donated to:

Defense Grid 2 - $10
    Path of Exile - $25
    Sui Generisis - £20

If Baldurs Gate 3 was on a kickstarter project promising identical gameplay to the first two with a fixed top down camera view but a better HD capable engine, I'd donate to that too, but no, I wouldn't donate to a virtually identical remake of the first two games like BGEE because it wouldn't look new or improved enough.
  • GueulEclatorGueulEclator Member Posts: 175
    edited December 2012
    No if it's developed by Overhaul. Their pure creativity (npc, new quest, cinematic) was proven to be average, at the same level of dragon age or mass effect (very average indeed).

Yes if it's developed by the old makers of BG2 and infinity games. Which means Yes if it's developed by Obsidian.

It wouldn't make any sense if it was developed by random. Trent Oster was never really involved in the creative process of BG1, mostly production management, and besides, he is the only one in overhaul who had a past experience with an infinity game.

Obsidian and Inixile co-developing a BG3 would pretty much assemble what is left of infinity games developers.
  • mercurymeltdownmercurymeltdown Member Posts: 49
    I'd buy a copy yes, but it's not up to me as a consumer to donate to the development.
  • colonel_burgercolonel_burger Member Posts: 279
    I did by buying bgee
    Yea I won't be too keen on funding overhaul for future releases after this one. There's just too much wrong with it.
  • RedGuardRedGuard Member Posts: 672
    I haven't donated to Project Eternity or anything like that, so I'm not about to start now. I'm just not confident in the reliability of kickstarters or the like, plus I've already paid for this and I don't want to go through this with BG:EE and (possibly) BG2:EE just to see a possible BG3 promised through a fundraising venture.
  • ST4TICStrikerST4TICStriker Member Posts: 162
    Mungri said:

Yea I won't be too keen on funding overhaul for future releases after this one. There's just too much wrong with it.

Why did you vote twice?

• ChowChow Member Posts: 1,192

We donated already. BG:EE is overpriced and buggy.

Mungri said:

The game has been out for less than a week. I'm feeling fairly optimistic that most of the bugs will be squished by the end. One just needs to be patient.
  • ElendarElendar Member Posts: 831
    Already donated my $20
  • The_New_RomanceThe_New_Romance Member Posts: 839
    They'd have to come up with a really good explanation. I donate mainly to Kickstarter projects that a) are done by small, poor and/or indie teams or b) have crazy stuff that would never be done otherwise. Beamdog already said they are obliged to do BG2:EE, and I think that's all I want from them. If they really want to do BG3, they should secure the funding by themselves, not use Kickstarter. Hopefully, that won't be too difficult if the tablet crowd jumps on BG:EE.
    edited December 2012
    @GueulEclator They're pretty much doing that right now. It's called Project Infinity, and while it's not set in Faerun, it bears an uncanny resemblance to The Black Hound in storyline and setup (at least what's been known so far).

Edit: Sorry for doublepost.
  • catfishcatfish Member Posts: 31
    money from these BG rehashes will keep them going for years, no need to donate
  • GueulEclatorGueulEclator Member Posts: 175

@GueulEclator They're pretty much doing that right now. It's called Project Infinity, and while it's not set in Faerun, it bears an uncanny resemblance to The Black Hound in storyline and setup (at least what's been known so far).

Edit: Sorry for doublepost.

Yep! and that is awesome. It can basically be considered like BG3. I'm looking Toward it.

Yet I still hope to see a new game in the D&D world, more specifically around the sword coast and Baldur's Gate (hence the name baldur's gate 3, even if it has nothing to do with the ballspwan).
    I do hope that after this (and their predictable massive success) they consider allocating a studios to develop Baldur's Gate 3.

Also I just learned some insane news : a new planescape torment could be on the work! Brian Fargo (Inxile) has acquired the license for Torment. Inxile and Obsidian are basically almost the same company in spirit (they are even co-develloping some games). So that means the creators of torment might return to this old franchise.

• Allen63Allen63 Member Posts: 53
    I say Possibly: Because I don't donate for no "return on investment" (other than a "promise" to make a game and then "sell" it to me).

Preorder is okay. Donate a bit more as part of a preorder and for something in return.

If companies could be relied upon to stay in business and always honor "donations", I might be more inclined to donate without conditions -- towards a "sure thing" product that will be well made. But, requesting donations does imply a bit of instability and lack of surety regarding outcome.
  • TyrielTyriel Member Posts: 20
    Sure if the BG2EE got in trouble id be willing to donate some money but not a lot. But 10 dollars ? sure. I really want BG2EE

Also I just learned some insane news : a new planescape torment could be on the work! Brian Fargo (Inxile) has acquired the license for Torment. Inxile and Obsidian are basically almost the same company in spirit (they are even co-develloping some games). So that means the creators of torment might return to this old franchise.

Shouldn't Fargo be working on Wasteland 2? I gave that man money! :D

Mungri said:

Why did you vote twice?

I didnt and you can't vote twice, I simply made two posts on my opinion.
  • FailedProductFailedProduct Member Posts: 28
    Haha. Funny voting
  • AscerionAscerion Member Posts: 271
    Already did, in the form of EE. However, I would also purchase additional content that was aesthetic in nature. (I hate pay2win)

@mungri

I also donated 15$ to PoE, it looks good.
  • SilverstarSilverstar Member Posts: 2,207
    I consider pre-ordering to be donating. Were it a kickstarter project exclusively, then yes, I probably would donate. Seeing as Overhaul is committed to doing BGII:EE anyway though, they'll have my pre-order (though won't be doing it until really close to release date, lesson learned!) but that alone should do the trick.