Skip to content

Framerate/Speed up

Can we get the "updates per second" setting from the old BG configurator back? I find the default speed a bit slow and prefer to play it sped up slightly.

Comments

• beuarghbeuargh Member Posts: 1
    Agree, it's too slow... I've always played BG with 45 updates / second. It'll be nice to get this feature back :)
  • bigdogchrisbigdogchris Member Posts: 1,336
    If you edit baldur.ini in your documents, and change maximum frame rate, does that work?
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    @bigdogchris Nope, that option's not working yet. It's an issue that the developers are already aware of.
  • cryptomancercryptomancer Member Posts: 22
    I agree, 30 updates is PAINFUL. I always played on 60. How the hell is this an *enhanced* edition when we *lose* functionality? Outrageous.
  • bigdogchrisbigdogchris Member Posts: 1,336
    I couldn't imagine playing it higher than 30 FPS.

BG is not like other games in regards to FPS
  • AurelliusAurellius Member Posts: 3
    In BG:2 i would have it set at 90, space bar is there for a reason :)
  • PaheejPaheej Member Posts: 126
    I always played the game at 50 for Framerate which makes the game significantly faster but doesn't cut off most important dialogue. Looking at any way to increase the framerate right now.
    I'm not sure if others want this as much as I do but I consider this feature to be essential to enjoying this game. Currently updating "maximum framerate" in the config files does not create a solution. If possible I would like this expedited to second on the bug list (the intel hardware issue should probably be higher on their priority list even though I do not have the problem).

I'm going to dump a few more terms in this thread for other people searching for this solution because it took me a while to find this thread. Other terminology people may use regarding increasing gameplay speed:

increase FPS
    increase framerate
    speed up game
    updates per second
    increase maximum framerate
    make game faster
    game is too slow
    increase walking speed
  • enoch0oenoch0o Member Posts: 28
    edited December 2012
    The way I remember it worked was if the host had the updates per second increased, all the clients would have to increase it as well to be able to join.Could create problems for people trying to join your game.

IMO playing sped up isnt how the game was meant to be played.I think the option was only meant to help with slow pc's to run the game at a playable rate way back in the day.I personally never cared for this "feature" in the older versions.Having the fps that high is like watching a movie in fast forward.

If you want to increase walking speed there's haste spell and boots of speed for that.
    Post edited by enoch0o on
    Dude. The game is painfully slow in multiplayer at 30 updates/second (framerate/fps/whatever you want to call it). I've seen other threads where people call the game "sleepy." They are not joking. I tried to a full party playthrough of BG2 (human player for every character slot). We kept the game at 30 FPS.

One guy fell asleep on our first session. FELL ASLEEP while playing a multiplayer video game. Don't get me wrong the BG series is a great series, but fast gameplay is critical for multiplayer. Go back and play the original Command and Conquer games at normal speed and you will see what I mean. Older games still fun - but they have to be sped up. Otherwise taking a nap is a better use of my time compared to BG at 30 updates/second.
  • reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    Changing the .ini doesn't affect it, either. A manual adjustment between 30-60 would be great!