Skip to content

How prevalent is cold damage?

So, there's a certain item that appears to protect you from cold while making oyu veeeery vulnerable to fire. Now, I see flaming arrows are somewhat prevalent in certain areas, so I gotta ask if cold damage is common at all. Is using that item worth it at all?

Comments

• ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    Winter wolves use cold. Thats about all I can think of atm.
  • TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    I remember fire being a lot more common than cold. Based on your description of the item and my memory of the game, you'd be better off not wearing it, although it could be handy to hold on to for use in specific situations.
  • FrecheFreche Member Posts: 473
    [Spoiler]Varscona, used by Greywolf[/spoiler] does Cold damage
  • CaptRoryCaptRory Member Posts: 1,660
    I'm pretty sure there are also some arrows of ice flying around =3
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    There are bandits who use arrows of ice, as CaptRory pointed out.
  • Allen63Allen63 Member Posts: 53
    Winter wolves are deadly with one hit to a low level character. So, the "item" would sure be handy. Unfortunately, I sold mine for peanuts and suffered a death by Winter Wolf. After that, I developed a Winter Wolf tactic and always check wolves for type.
  • tyl998tyl998 Member Posts: 144
    Where might one encounter winter wolves?
  • The_New_RomanceThe_New_Romance Member Posts: 839
    CaptRory said:

Yeah, those are nasty. But they're pretty much the only thing besides Winter Wolves. So... I don't think that item is really worth it. A pity you can't sell it cause it's bugged :P
    The Nashkel Mines can have Winter Wolves. The outside area of the mine that is. The Temple map.

The mines are great for them. Rest there repeatedly and you'll either get kobolds or two winter wolves. I ended up taking 16 pelts to the store in Nashkell.
    Wait, so rest inside the mines or outside in the Temple map?
    On the mine map, but outside the mine itself. The screen where Prism is. I just kept resting at the top of the map. If kobolds appeared Neera sleeped them to keep them bunched up while Branwen cast a glyph of warding in the middle of them.
  • BugratBugrat Member Posts: 118
    Some powerful mages can use Cone of Cold on ya for a ton of damage.
  • colonel_burgercolonel_burger Member Posts: 279
    It's rare. Far more prevalent in icewind dale (Derp). Definitely don't wear it when kobold commandos are around!
  • EnterHaerDalisEnterHaerDalis Member Posts: 813
    From my recent Vanilla game (EE aint working :( )

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b27/Rockstar189/Awesome1.png
  • MungriMungri Member Posts: 1,645
    Ooowwww, go go girdle of piercing + boots of avoidance + shield spell!
    EnterHaer, did you survive that encounter? XD
    My main character usually gets the Cloak of displacement from Ulgoth's Beard, the Boots of Avoidance, and sometimes the Girdle of Piercing too. XD

Then there's a chance he might be a shield user as well... XD
  • MungriMungri Member Posts: 1,645
    Well shield spell sets your base AC against missiles to 2, girdle of piercing is -3, boots of avoidance are -6, ring of protection -1 and my 6 levels of swashbuckler give me -2, so go go -10 AC vs missiles :)
  • UlvarylUlvaryl Member Posts: 217
    CaptRory said:

yes
    for example against Black Talon Elites in Peldvale and other areas

• DMCDMC Member Posts: 44
    edited December 2012
    Don't forget Ogre Magi, with their Cones of Cold, quite deadly and not at all that uncommon from the mid-game onwards
  • MedullaOblongataMedullaOblongata Member Posts: 434
    I didn't know Greywolf's sword did ice damage... I could have had my tank wear the belt the entire time and never thought of it! >:\