Skip to content

The Great List of Things To Change (fixing some poor design choices in BG:EE mod)

ZerdalZerdal Member Posts: 12
edited December 2012 in General Modding
Hello everyone, my goal is to create list of all changes we would like to see in BG:EE, and make mod with all gathered sugestions.

I think it’s better to put all ideas in one place, otherwise they may lost in tons of other posts :(

The purpose of this topic is not bug fixing (I leave that to EE developers), but undoing those changes, which are in fact a step back from the original.

- - - -
UPDATES:
2. 4. 5. are fixed in recent patch 10.12.2012
1. is solved, solution below 6.12.2012
3. is solved by patch 6.12.2012
7. is solved, solution below 2.12.2012
6. is partially solved. 2.12.2012
- - - -

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
1.Bring Back Old Movies. [solved!]
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Because Old Intro kick ass, new is not (during mod installation you choose which movies you want to be replaced).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4hvt96JPm5Q
SOLUTION by @Sam
http://www.shsforums.net/topic/55573-bg-ee-classic-movies/

2.Bring back original monster spawning rate. [solved!]
As many people noticed, comparing to the original game monsters spawn in much smaller groups.
http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/8555/lack-of-monsters
UPDATE: Fixed in recent patch.

3.Bring back "broken weapon" item. [solved!]
Because there is no proper notification for that.
UPDATE: Now it works correctly.

4.Bring back resolution and framerate configuration. [solved!]
Do I need to explain? ;)
SOLUTION by @Overhaul
Framerate can be changed in baldur.ini, and resolution is fixed by changing the ini-file in either documents or 00766 folder (cant remember) and adding:

'Graphics', 'Scale UI', '0',

after everything else, after pressing enter and making a new "line". The resolution will then be whatever you have on your screen, max size, without scaling of any kind, apparently.

5.Bring back backpack color change, when inventory is full. [solved!]
http://i.imgur.com/dyhv5.jpg (now it's always grey).

6.UI skin option: you can choose between classic BG1 skin, EE skin, and BG2 skin. [partially solved]
http://bi.gazeta.pl/im/6/11402/z11402106Q,Baldur-s-Gate-na-iPadzie--fot--materialy-producenta.jpg
SOLUTION by @Kwiat_W (Only BG1 UI)
http://www.shsforums.net/topic/55547-classic-gameplay-windows-for-bgee-10/page__fromsearch__1

7.NPC Circles option: you can choose between classic BG1 NPC circles display (green, blue red)
or new (based on clothes color). [solved!]
SOLUTION by @Overhaul
Add the following line under "Game Options" in your BG.ini file:
'Game Options', 'Color Circles', '0',

8.Brightness and gamma correction within game menu [not solved yet]
As title says.

Any other ideas?
Post edited by Zerdal on

Comments

• AkuroAkuro Member Posts: 93
    Concerning number 7 of your ideas:

problem solved :)
  • OldBookOldBook Member Posts: 6
    Don't know if anyone else has noticed, but the chanters are no longer chanting that the Lord of Murder has Perished. I really missed that.
  • CalantyrCalantyr Member Posts: 8
    OldBook said:

Don't know if anyone else has noticed, but the chanters are no longer chanting that the Lord of Murder has Perished. I really missed that.

They are in mine. Just wait near them.

• LokathorLokathor Member Posts: 8
    Akuro said:

I just applied the latest patch and I don't have a BG.ini file anywhere in the program directory...
  • CoM_SolaufeinCoM_Solaufein Member Posts: 2,607
    Look under My Documents- Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition folder
  • ZerdalZerdal Member Posts: 12
    edited December 2012
    Akuro said:

Woah, thanks man :) I'll put this solution to 1st post. At the moment, I'm working on fixing monster spawning and movies, but still without any success :(
  • AlequeAleque Member Posts: 149
    Larger fonts
  • mister_ennuimister_ennui Member Posts: 98
    edited December 2012
    Yeh, I read that. As soon as he upload all 10 movies and manage to make it work properly, I'll add his solution to the list. :)
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    some stuff to add to the list...

http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/comment/171148/#Comment_171148
    gui scaling

and persistent zoom (zoom resets after changing areas)

and I want Enter Key and Alt-F4 keys to work again
  • MansenMansen Member Posts: 82
    The broken item still exists just fine? I even get feedback pauses from the item becoming unusable (along with a person running out of a stack of ammo)
    edited December 2012
    Update! Check out first post for new solution (credits to awesome work of @Sam).

@smeagolheart
    Windows key works fine, so I don't think Alt-F4 is necessary. Also devs said they working with GUI scalling and zoom, so I guess it's gonna be included in the next patch.

@Mansen
    Before recent patch it doesn't work for me, but it seems fine now. I remove this from the list.
  • Sam_Sam_ Member Posts: 172
    @Zerdal, #5 Grey Backpack was fixed in one of the recent updates.
  • CuvCuv Member, Developer Posts: 2,535
    Uhm.. #7 wasn't solved by Akuro:) The solution is a feature put in by the developers. There is also a sticky at the top of this forum with other information.
    edited December 2012
    @Sam
    They made numerous updates in recent patch: UI, monster spawn (yay!). I'll update first post, as soon as I test all changes. :)

@Cuv
    Noticed and corrected.
  • AADA7AAADA7A Member Posts: 32
    edited December 2012
    Resolution and framerate is fixed: framerate can be just changed in baldur.ini, and resolution is fixed by changing the ini-file in either documents or 00766 folder (cant remember) and adding

'Graphics', 'Scale UI', '0',

after everything else, after pressing enter and making a new "line". The resolution will then be whatever you have on your screen, max size, without scaling of any kind, apparently.
  • XzarXzar Member Posts: 215
    Brightness and gamma correction within game menu is a must for me, because my preferred desktop gamma is too dark for the game, and switching it all the time is tiresome.
    edited December 2012
    Update! Thanks for comments & suggestions! :) I'm really happy how fast it goes! :)

@Xzar
    Good idea. I've put that on the list.
  • BurfiakBurfiak Member Posts: 32
    Is there a chance that developers include 4 ( resolution and framerate configuration), 6 (UI skin option: classic BG1 skin, EE skin) and 7 (circles) into the official game? Maybe someone who's in touch witch them could ask them to do so?
  • AndreaColomboAndreaColombo Member Posts: 5,526
    edited December 2012
    Xzar said:

Brightness and gamma correction within game menu is a must for me, because my preferred desktop gamma is too dark for the game, and switching it all the time is tiresome.

This is on the developers' radar and will eventually be fixed in a patch.
    They originally removed the brightness and contrast bars from the menu as they were not working as intended (a subtle bug from the original game, IIRC).