Skip to content

The NOT so enhanced Baldurs gate!

DecaydkDecaydk Member Posts: 2
edited December 2012 in Fixed
Hello out there! I guess I'm not the only one who've been looking forward to "Baldurs gate: enhanced edition".
But I'm really impressed. Maybe it's just my pc, or maybe a bad version. But I have far more bugs in this enhanced edition, then I ever had in the average version of Baldurs gate. And yes I did play it in win 7.

It's great that as a player, there are the same options and kits as in BG2. But it does not really compensate for all the bugs.

I can't se any mark lines when trying to mark all or serval characters.
When in any dungeon, tha blackness is completly random with flicks from the outside area, or copied pieces of any walk areas, doors, and characters. Very confusing to look at.
I can't see any fog of war. Which means that I can't see where I haven't been.
And then of course serval of the other bugs already reported. Such as ranged characters attacking in close quarters.
Lan games are even worse, and created problems every 2nd minute. And it took 15 trys to even connect :S

I have installed all updates, and updates my graphic drivers.

What are your thoughts on this? Am I the only one experiencing this?
Post edited by Balquo on

Comments

• WakukeeWakukee Member Posts: 106
    This should help a ton:
    -- Open the game, then use alt-enter to switch to windowed mode.
    -- Quit the game.
    -- Open again, and hit alt-enter to go into fullscreen. It should now run properly, with fog of war and the highlight function working properly. Dungeons should work as well.
    -- When you are ready to quit, switch back to windowed mode first, and when you reopen, go to fullscreen.

This fixed all of the visual errors in my game. I have no idea WHY, but it seems to work for others too. Good Luck!

--Wakukee
    Oh, and you should copy "rest.wbm" in the movies folder, paste it twice, and name one "restinn.wbm" and the other "restdung.wbm". This will fix some crashes in multiplayer, though everyone has to do it.
  • DecaydkDecaydk Member Posts: 2
    Thanks I'll tjek it out when I get back home :)
  • KylleKylle Member Posts: 13
    It took me a few hours to find a workaround to get the game to start. Once I did I didn't have a single crash in the 10 hours I played over the last week. Unfortunately I stupidly downloaded the latest patch and it broke my workaround.

It seems like everybody needs to make their own unique work arounds just to get the game going. It's really quite absurd- Some ATI card owners need to open iTunes in the background. Nvidia card owners need to force the app to open with their card. Before the patch broke it, I had to set compatibility to Vista SP 1, change my resolution setting, reset it and run the game.

All we can do is hope and pray they made enough money on the presales to make it worth their while to fix the issues.
  • CorianderCoriander Member Posts: 1,667
    @Kylle Which issue were you working around?
    @Coriander My game just doesn't start. No white screen or anything like that, BG process would start then just close a couple of seconds later. To fix it I set compatability mode to Vista SP1, run as admin. Then before i start the game I'd change the resolution to something else, wait 15 seconds until it reset back to the original and run the game.

Worked everytime until the patch came out.

@Kylle Are you running Windows 7? Video card?
  • HeinrichHeinrich Member Posts: 188
    Yes, the amount of bugs reported does concern me but you also got to think, Converting the whole game into a new format without extensive testing that is also within a very limited time frame with a limited budget is going to yield alot of bugs for different people. Right now I'm just sitting tight doing other things until the mods are compatible and also until the bugs are fixed.

Right now the developers are fixing the game breaking bugs first and once they are out of the way then they'll fix the smaller ones. They DID promise service and updates after launch and are not like other game companies that don't even bother with the smaller bugs and rely on modders to fix it for them.

@Coriander Currently running Windows 8 on Alienware MX11 r1. I'm not at home atm but I believe it runs the dual Intel crap card and the Nvidia 335M video card. From what I've read in the dualcard bug report forum its an issue with the Nvidia card not always realising it needs to be used for the app. None of their suggestions work for me though, only the workaround mentioned above until the latest patch.

@Heinrich Don't get me wrong, I'm really not trying to take a dump on the developers here. I'm really glad they resurrected one of my favorite games and I understand how difficult and expensive Beta testing can be- I'm just a little disapointed it wasn't done a little better. I think from now on I'm not going to preorder games that don't include Beta access. I.E. if this exact same issue happened to me but this was still technicaly in Beta I wouldn't really be fussed about it.

*edit apologies for spelling and grammar in the above, quickly typing this on my lunch break ;)
  • HeinrichHeinrich Member Posts: 188
    @Kylle I apologize if I seemed a little gruff on this but I have seen a lot worse when it came to buggy games that I pre-ordered.

Stronghold 3, hoo boy, was basically a Beta version released for $50. I'm very happy that BG:EE ended up so much more polished than that game at a much lower cost...
  • reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    @Kyelle - really, I recommend you send an email to customer support outlining your work-around, as it's helpful to them to know how you're making the program work.
  • inicjatorinicjator Member Posts: 63
    My game still doesn't work :(
    I have sent few emails to customer support (with printscreens and description of the problem) but replies I got were just typical emails saying to check my drivers for graphic card etc. or that the fixing patch was released. I think that nobody reads these emails and they just send same replies to everyone.
    I'm very disappointed about the game and about the customer support.
    Is BGee supposed to be a joke?
  • TeflonTeflon Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 515
    Agree. How about BG:EE as an "official" mod which provides some... enhanced feature like higher resolution.
    I was surprised when I heard old BG savefiles compatible with BG:EE, although I didn't tried it yet.
    Just curious about your internet connection speed is it below 1000kb/sec ?
    It provides some enhanced feature and a lot of bugs and errors :(
    My internet connection speed is more than 1000kb/sec, but it should not effect speed of the game anyway.
    What problems are you seeing exactly, inicjator? They might be work-aroundable.
    @Wakukee
    Just read the forum and you will see how many bugs were reported.
    To me the biggest problem is speed of the game. It works very, very slow. It takes few seconds to move cursor from one place to another and it's almost impossible to move my hero. So I bought BGee early in august and I still can not play it :(
    @Kylle Looks like you hit the most terrible sweet spot of the video bugs. The good news is that they're being worked on. The bad news is that I have no idea how long it could take.

@Teflon Some things that are kept in the save files won't work but I'm pretty sure you can import character.
  • sirchetsirchet Member Posts: 14
    Are you guys aware that a mod to play BG1 and BG2 as one seamless game has been released at Black Wyrm's Lair for years now and it runs flawlessly and it is absolutely free?

Here's a link http://www.blackwyrmlair.net/mods.php

These folks could have made the whole process much simpler if they would have looked at previous work before creating this fiasco.

I still haven't gotten this to even start on my Win7 64 bit machine.
    They were aware of these mods. I personally like having this game (which works okay for me), as I never owned a working copy of the game -- my family's disc 6 broke. I was more than happy to pay to actually play the game, and without a crazy number of discs. I've never owned the game before.
  • BytebrainBytebrain Member Posts: 602
    @sirchet
    They were very much aware of those mods you're linking to, in fact, some of those mods were made by people helping the developers both prior, under and after production of the game.
    That's why there's a very good chance of BG:EE becoming the game most supported by modders in the future, as this game might just re-ignite the modding scene for the series.

Already, new mods are under way, and older popular mods is undergoing work so they'll be compatible with BG:EE.

Since you only have 5 posts when I'm writing this, you may not yet have had the chance to ask for help in the appropriate threads on the site, and I would urge you to do so, as our forum is unparalleled in technical helpfulness IMO.
    When/if you decide to do so, please accommodate your post with a detailed description of your problem and specs of your pc.

Your first port of call, before posting, should be this link, it'll point you in the right direction for help:

http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/8405/read-before-posting-master-technical-faq#latest
  • sirchetsirchet Member Posts: 14
    edited December 2012
    Hello Bytebrain,

I searched through the forum before posting, this is what raised my frustration. I read about many other people experiencing the same problem I'm having with very similar PC's.

What I found most troubling was that the only solutions, (really work-arounds) offered were done so by other players and not staff.

Have you read the solutions offered?

Tell me, if you bought a car and the maker said well, yes it does have a working radio, but you have to turn on your high beams first, then open and shut the trunk, then turn off the high beams for it to work ... you'd take the car back, right?

I understand and actually expect to put forth a little effort on my part to get a mod to run. I've done so for years with the Infinity Engine, but with a paid for and supposedly professional game I do not expect to do anything other than click on the install button.

It's funny you mention that these folks were and are part of the modding community for the IE, yet I don't recognize any of them and I've been in the IE modding community for over 10 years.

As I have said before, the issues are common and grouped to similar machines with the same OS.

I have tried the work-arounds offered to no avail.

I simply expect to receive a product I paid for, nothing more, nothing less.
  • qcoutlawzqcoutlawz Member Posts: 7
    edited December 2012
    only bugs I have is that I cant set any waypoint or the game crashes and a few quests wont go into the Completed quests Tab after its finished. other than that the game looks sublime on a 42'' TV,plays just like SoA ( I never played BG1 before) and is well worth the money for someone who never played the first game. One thing maybe I wouldve liked is more details on characters when zooming in/less pixels but zoomed out the game is neat
  • BytebrainBytebrain Member Posts: 602
    sirchet said:

Hello Bytebrain,

I searched through the forum before posting, this is what raised my frustration. I read about many other people experiencing the same problem I'm having with very similar PC's.

What I found most troubling was that the only solutions, (really work-arounds) offered were done so by other players and not staff.

Have you read the solutions offered?

Tell me, if you bought a car and the maker said well, yes it does have a working radio, but you have to turn on your high beams first, then open and shut the trunk, then turn off the high beams for it to work ... you'd take the car back, right?

I understand and actually expect to put forth a little effort on my part to get a mod to run. I've done so for years with the Infinity Engine, but with a paid for and supposedly professional game I do not expect to do anything other than click on the install button.

It's funny you mention that these folks were and are part of the modding community for the IE, yet I don't recognize any of them and I've been in the IE modding community for over 10 years.

As I have said before, the issues are common and grouped to similar machines with the same OS.

I have tried the work-arounds offered to no avail.

I simply expect to receive a product I paid for, nothing more, nothing less.

Hey, I understand, I just saw the number of posts you had, and tried to point you to the right thread for help if you were a new member and hadn't found it by yourself.

I'm not trying for a discussion on the quality of work ethics, commitment or decisions by Beamdog, I realize there's a lot who have problems with the game.
    But at least they've been actively verbal about the reasons and have appologized, you've probably already read the threads on that.

The fact that I personally haven't had any major issues yet, don't mean that I don't understand the frustration on your part, and I would have been frustrated too, but I think that if I had been one of the unfortunate, I think I would have tried to be patient after reading those announcements and apologies from the developers, because really, there's nothing else to do, but wait for the patch that fixes the issues.

But, really, I was just trying to lend a hand in my previous post to you.

As for the Modders on the site, yes, there's a couple of people who've worked on some of the classic bigger mods who've been helping the team, and a couple who are frequent visitors here and who seems committed to upgrade their mods to BG:EE
    I don't know any of them personally, I have no connection to the modding scene, but there's several threads dealing with modding, both in the General section and the dedicated Modding section of the forum.

Cheers.
  • mch202mch202 Member Posts: 1,455
    DavidW, Avenger_teambg, lansounet, FredSRichardson, CoM_Solaufein, Ascension64, CamDawg, cmorgan, Wisp.. are all beta testers of BG:EE and I'm sure there are more who I missed and didn't mention, if you don't recognize them you might want to check the readme of UB,NPCProject,NearInfinity and so on..
  • Avenger_teambgAvenger_teambg Member, Developer Posts: 5,862
    sirchet said:

Well, the developers issued 2 patches in a week that would solve quite many of those problems.
    Do you really find it most troubling that they work on a real solution instead of posting workarounds?