Skip to content

Too clean

drechanadrechana Member Posts: 53
Is it just me, I might be a bit odd. But when Neverwinter Nights cam out did anyone else think that it kinda of lost something due to it being too pretty. I really liked the static painted backgrounds and the fixed isometric view of BG. Maybe it was because this was amazing artwork for its time I dont know but to me it added to the whole feel of the game and when the gfx got too clean it lost some of its magic.

Do you agree?

Drechana

Comments

• TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    If Skyrim accomplished something it was to have a crap load of items inside rooms. Several times I ended up stealing from shops by accident.
  • Space_hamsterSpace_hamster Member Posts: 950
    All the old 2d games are like that really. It's like playing through a painting.
  • ArkinArkin Member Posts: 32
    Yeah, 3D tends to feel less lush and intricate. NWN was fun, but the world felt barren. BG's world lives.
  • HeroicSpurHeroicSpur Member Posts: 907
    One of the brilliant things about BG and the BG style is that you can have loads of detail and objects in a room without clogging anything up. The worth of pick-ups is easily identified and the game finds that perfect balance between being too spartan and being able to pick everything up. In the Elder Scrolls games it gets a bit irrating that you can pick every bowl you see, every candle-holder and apple. All those things are there in BG, they add to the atmosphere and environment but don't become pointless junk in your inventory.
  • AranneasAranneas Member Posts: 282
    Easiest way to deal with the Elder Scrolls problem is to just accept scenery items as scenery.

But then you miss out on all the limeware platters, so it's a tradeoff.
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    It was made in 3d gamings difficult transition phase so not surprising
    Aranneas said:

Easiest way to deal with the Elder Scrolls problem is to just accept scenery items as scenery.

Is it wrong I spent most of my time in morrowind arranging furniture and buying junk to put in my stronghold? Ok it was more like a dank cave, but with enough candle stocked it looked decent. I don't think I got past the second or third quest in morrowind, I just spent my time wandering around.
  • AranneasAranneas Member Posts: 282

Aranneas said:

Is it wrong I spent most of my time in morrowind arranging furniture and buying junk to put in my stronghold? Ok it was more like a dank cave, but with enough candle stocked it looked decent. I don't think I got past the second or third quest in morrowind, I just spent my time wandering around.
    Sometimes, sacrifices must be made to achieve true heroism.
  • recklessheartrecklessheart Member Posts: 692
    I wondered this earlier.
    I mean.. BG & isometric were clearly both wonderful things. The fact that an ogre is more threatening in BG than it is in NWN, where it is twice as large and pertains much more closely to the canonical description of an ogre can't be ignored, can it?!
  • levelwormlevelworm Member Posts: 41
    Neverwinter nights is a great game IMO. The original is a little pale comparing to BG, but what in the expansions make it up. It's a pity that there are not many memorable dungeons in NWN.
  • bgplayabgplaya Member Posts: 129
    I agree with almost everything in this thread :p. Bodies not staying really is such a huge difference to me for some reason. Also, Dragons were...disappointing, to say the least, in their appearance. Waaaaay more badass in Baldur's Gate.

The writing/characters/story in Baldur's Gate were also a class above Neverwinter Nights, in my opinion.

• FillaFillasonFillaFillason Member Posts: 110

To be honest, my main issue with Neverwinter Nights was rather that you didn't have party members, but instead these "Henchmen". *shiver*
    The different graphics style didn't really bother me. It was just the next step.

You read my mind. The Henchmen system and not gathering party destroyed the game for me. Actually icewind dale as well, when there wasnt char. to meet and join up whit. Nothing like starting whit an mage and barly survive untill you have found an nice warrior to protect you,hehe. And now I hear people saying it will be easyer playing whit mage in the start, whats that??? ARGH

• AthrogateAthrogate Member Posts: 8
    edited July 2012
    Pretty much why most of todays games fail imo. Graphics above content is the agenda today it seems. It is funny when people say: "Stop comparing to BG or BG2. You only remember them as good cause they were good at that time." I am playing BGT atm. and the game is better than Dragon Age, NWN etc. The game is supreme. However, it is a game for a "niche" market,sadly. Hence why we mostly see shit games come out.

Only game I would compare to Baldur's Gate games is Mass Effect 1. The story line was 10/10.
  • CorvinoCorvino Member Posts: 2,269
    edited July 2012
    @Athrogate I think BG2 is a fair comparison to Dragon Age: Origins. Both are strongly plot driven party based medieval-fantasy RPGs about a protagonist who becomes legendary and affects the world around them. Both have rich, complex worlds and well written companion and quest dialogue.

In terms of art direction it's probably fairer to compare BG to DA:O as well. NWN was fairly early in the wholesale transition of games to 3D and had limitations put of the level of detail by the toolset. DA:O is from a fully matured period of 3D game design and didn't have a toolset demanding genric & reusable locations. The games are very different but I think that both use their engines well to convey their settings. Athkatla is as distinct from the Underdark as Redcliffe is from Orzammar. It's not fair to dismiss DA:O because it's a great game. BG1&2 happen to be great games as well.
  • AthrogateAthrogate Member Posts: 8
    Yeah, you have some valid points. I agree that DA is quite good. But to get back to OP's meaning about the static isometric view of the BG games. I would love to see more of it.
    The BG games offer, at least to me, a challenge where I do not have to move like an orangutang, but rather plan out the fight before it actually starts. I'm simply getting too old for todays ADHD games...:)
  • MathuzzzMathuzzz Member Posts: 203
    I don´t think pretty is the right word. With all respect to it´s creators, NWN had the worst looking environment I have seen in game. Yes, BG was dated, but who cares, when it looked way better.

I think many developers moved to 3D too early. They were eager to take advantage of it and compete, but the result was contradiction. What was the point of Warcraft 3(also 2002) being 3D when it was completely unplayable when those Quake-like ugly models meet in battle and you had no idea what was happening, because of it being chaotic and at that time with huge framedrops in battles. Not only the models and textures were ugly, it ruined gameplay. So same as I play BG to this day, at the same time I play Starcraft 1 to this day because it is the best compromise between visuals and gameplay.
  • SpaceNewtSpaceNewt Member Posts: 1
    Had developers not moved to 3d when they did, the 3d development would have stalled until they began and we'd not be where we are today.
  • CorvinoCorvino Member Posts: 2,269
    It's a bit of a loss that some CRPG developers didn't stick with sprite-based isometric games. Something along the lines of Fallout or BG would work well on DS with it's touchscreen filling in for a mouse-driven interface. It was something I always sort of wanted but there are only JRPGs on DS/PSP.
    To be fare, NWN was a platform for D&D multiplayer, highly moddable. The included quest wasn't anything special.
  • drechanadrechana Member Posts: 53
    edited July 2012
    Well, ty guys for all your feedback. Its nice to know that I am not the only one that thinks games have lost that certain something due to all the focus being put into the graphics and not the story. I think what I meant is that its like those text based adventures from years ago, some of them were fantastic because of the images you made up in your mind, pure story driven.

BG, in my mind was just that, the best text adventure ever.....with the added bonus of lush scenes, great puzzles and lots of stuff in chests!

Cheers for your feedback all :)

Drechana
  • JolanthusJolanthus Member Posts: 292
    Corvino said:

@Athrogate I think BG2 is a fair comparison to Dragon Age: Origins. Both are strongly plot driven party based medieval-fantasy RPGs about a protagonist who becomes legendary and affects the world around them. Both have rich, complex worlds and well written companion and quest dialogue.

In terms of art direction it's probably fairer to compare BG to DA:O as well. NWN was fairly early in the wholesale transition of games to 3D and had limitations put of the level of detail by the toolset. DA:O is from a fully matured period of 3D game design and didn't have a toolset demanding genric & reusable locations. The games are very different but I think that both use their engines well to convey their settings. Athkatla is as distinct from the Underdark as Redcliffe is from Orzammar. It's not fair to dismiss DA:O because it's a great game. BG1&2 happen to be great games as well.

As Dragon Age was billed as being the Spiritual successor to BG, It's very apt to compare the two games... Dragon Age was the game I had been waiting to play since BG:TOB
  • MathuzzzMathuzzz Member Posts: 203
    SpaceNewt said:

Had developers not moved to 3d when they did, the 3d development would have stalled until they began and we'd not be where we are today.

Yes, of course, but with action third/first person view games. Back than it was pointless for RTSs or isometric games.
  • mch202mch202 Member Posts: 1,455
    edited July 2012
    Jolanthus said:

As Dragon Age was billed as being the Spiritual successor to BG

lines like this always make me laugh :-)
  • CheOffshoreCheOffshore Member Posts: 27
    I downloaded Riven (the sequel to Myst) on Steam the other day, 15 years old, 2D and mostly static, but still each shot looks more realistic than even Skyrim. 2D graphics at their best had the chance to display a videogame worlds as art, each scene looks like it was taken by a professional photographer, with perfect lighting and angle to showcase the fantastic level of detail. The same applies to the infinity engine games, just from the isometric perspective.

http://www.mentalimages.com/fileadmin/user_upload/Images/riven_004.jpg

The fact that these games were so slow paced means you could fight a battle, talk to an NPC and take in the art, the detail and the imagination of the designers and fully appreciate the effort into creating these unique worlds.

Finally, with the characters, they looked absolutely crap on screen, but seeing their portraits, you really felt the significance and real presence of the characters, you see the isolation of the world in the portrait background (mostly the icewind dale series here) and could really use these expressions and landscapes to give your character a back story and personality.

I am not a creative person at all, but even I feel I can make up and tell a backstory behind the warrior in this nameless portrait when im playing the game
    http://www.sharkyextreme.com/img/2002/12/iwd2/portrait_4.jpg

In a way I can't with the regular animated yet lifeless, boring 3D models you can make with modern games
    http://www.thegamedraw.com/wp-content/uploads/skyrim-character-builds.png
    I know they have facial expressions, voices and have perfect lip synch, but it just a poor facsimile of reality, the characters in BG/ IWD had soul and it fits the tone perfectly.

And this for me is why I think every game no matter how technologically, graphically brilliant or well written since Icewind Dale 2 has left me with a consistent feeling of disappointment, I just don't connect as well with the new RPG worlds!
  • KharasKharas Member Posts: 150
    drechana said:

BG, in my mind was just that, the best text adventure ever.....with the added bonus of lush scenes, great puzzles and lots of stuff in chests!

Cheers for your feedback all :)

Drechana

Mmmhhhmm yes chest!! Jaheira, you certainly do have some amazing charms hidden in your armo.. ohh wait.. IN chests you say.. yes yes.. the items were great as well.. :)