Skip to content

Stalkers Backstab?

I can only get like 5 minute sessions in before my Game freezes....

but I noticed that the Stalker kit doesn't have the backstab damage it should have in BG:EE.

I noticed the same thing in BG Tutu, the stalker kit doesn't have backstab. I remember fixing a problem a few months ago in BG2 where Valygar's backstab stopped working all of a sudden. These are the instructions I wrote out to fix the problem http://www.gog.com/forum/baldurs_gate_series/fixing_valygars_backstab_help

Anybody else notice the backstabbing not working in BG:EE for stalkers?

Comments

• wissenschaftwissenschaft Member Posts: 229
    I notice it wasn't working when I tried to backstab Firebeard but then I started a new stalker and it suddenly worked. So no clue what causes this.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited December 2012
    I'm assuming you both were using weapons thieves can use for your efforts at backstabbing (so not an axe, bastard sword, warhammer, flail, mace) and that you were stealthed and behind the target when you attacked, otherwise it won't work.

I tried it yesterday for me using a short sword and it worked fine.
  • sandmanCCLsandmanCCL Member Posts: 1,389
    I've never had a problem with it.

Just make sure you are using a weapon thieves also can use. That's the most common mistake I see people making.
  • ZanathKariashiZanathKariashi Member Posts: 2,869
    edited December 2012
    Well for one (especially for TuTu), Stalkers aren't supposed to get the ability to backstab till level 8 (aka, pretty much xp capped in BG1) (BG2 pretty clearly says they're x1 (no backstab) 1-7, x2 8-16, x3 at 17-25, x4 at 26+). As for any BG2 problems...fixpack supposedly took care of that, and I've never seen it happen, so..there's that.

Reasons being, they have fighter thac0/str bonus/specialization/extra attacks. They get extra stealth and spells over a plain ranger. Free dual-wielding. And their only "penalty" is not wearing heavy armors, which is more a requirement for backstabbing then an actual penalty.
  • wissenschaftwissenschaft Member Posts: 229
    Actually, thats basically a typo. If you started a BG2 game with a level 7 Stalker then you'd know the Backstab progression is actually correct in EE.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited December 2012
    Just to prove @wissenschaft is correct. These are screenshots taken from a reinstall of BG2 + ToB, specifically the Gog.com edition (no mods or fixpacks are installed unless gog.com did it).

You can see in the first image that it does say that backstab damage is 1x, however it is a typo.

Second image is of my character I threw together. Feel free to criticise her name, and if there are any Red Green fans out there forgive me for not using "Bernice" the name of Red Green's wife.

Finally here we have her doing backstab damage to Imoen.