Skip to content

I REALLY tried to enjoy Enhanced Edition

I gave it a try but I'm just not enjoying it. Maybe it's because I don't see anything new other than a couple characters, a new kit, a UI that looks a little better on my 1600x900 screen, quicker loading times, a zoom option, and the Black Pits. However, everything else has already been made possible by the Tutu mod. Already I have Baldur's Gate, TotSC, Baldur's Gate 2, and ToB. I haven't seen 400 improvements, I only see six. Five if you exclude the zoom feature as it's not overly necessary as the character textures are still the same.

Nothing has made me want to stick with Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition, as my original games already do everything Enhanced is supposed to do. Many of you may disagree and say I don't know what I'm talking about and that's alright, but I gave BG:EE a chance and it's just not worth it. Maybe if all the games were released together with new content but this is just Baldur's Gate regurgitated with the same mods we've already seen. You might as well say they threw Tutu into Baldur's Gate and sold it. Sorry guys, but maybe you should have considered Baldur's Gate 3 like we all requested several years ago.

Comments

• XzeulonXzeulon Member Posts: 10
    The only point of this game was to see what the response was: the response was bigger than "executives" in the awfully dumb gaming industry thought and thus, BG3 is now going to happen.
  • ElendarElendar Member Posts: 831
    I've been enjoying revisiting Baldur's Gate.... I much prefer the 2nd one (because low levels tend to be boring to me :P ) but its nice to see it again and have it actually work without jumping through a bunch of hoops to get it running on windows 7.
  • reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    @jlarose23 - I think BG3 will come; just ignore BG/BG2 EE and wait for that. I'm happy re-tramping around the Sword Coast, even if it is retro-cool. If it doesn't work for you, that's fine with me. Hopefully, as it grows, you'll find something you like in the BG realm.

• kingthrallkingthrall Member Posts: 76
    you got to ask yourself, 20 dollars for a revamped and ironed out game is really a lot of money? compared to $50 minimum they sell at the shops with bugs and glitches and the promise of updates.
  • ChowChow Member Posts: 1,192
    It's vastly improved in many areas, easier to install and handle and makes several mods obsolete. Sure, it also wrecks up the compatibility to some mods I liked, but I don't think anyone here believes that is going to be forever: the modding community of Baldur's Gate is pretty huge, and from what I've heard they're already hard at work to deal with the issues in several mods.

We just need to be patient.

Besides, it's given me time to evaluate just what mods I really need anymore, instead of installing bloody everything that looks shiny.
  • Space_hamsterSpace_hamster Member Posts: 950
    $20 is a bridge too far to me to justify buying BG again for my mac/pc. I already have no less than 3 copies, 2 of the pc version, one of the Mac. I'll be shelling out $10 for the ipad as that actually seems novel, playing BG on an iPad. The lingering game balance issues (ie. lack of spawns) and other bugs has put me off the whole thing quite a bit. Just indicative of the tight development budget and timeline of this endeavor I suppose.
  • SpaceInvaderSpaceInvader Member Posts: 2,125
    edited December 2012
    Look, it ALL depends on how they will manage to fix/improve the game from now on.
    Let's hope for the best ;)
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    edited December 2012
    Some of the most important benefits of EE are more subtle and will be reaped down the road.

Recoding the game is pretty much essential in order to ensure that it survives into the future, given the rapid succession of new OSs and expanding variety of platforms. The code revisions also make it easier for modders to do their thing now. I'm even hoping that Beamdog will craft a well polished and very user-friendly toolset.

I'm very much seeing the glass half full. I'm actually delighted with the new UI, three new NPCs, zoom feature, and even the new cinematics (though they could stand some improvement here and there, and I'd like to see all the original movies replaced with new ones). I have yet to try the Black Pits.

I look forward to future DLCs.

This is all very much worth $18. Where I live that won't even buy me dinner for two.
  • ElitroElitro Member Posts: 18
    Guess is a good thing i always played the original editions with no mods, this way i can play these enhanced editions and enjoy them alot more.
  • mjellymjelly Member Posts: 10
    Tbh i feel the same way as the OP. I just cannot get into the game, it feels so dated and other than a better UI there is not much else that Tutu can't do. The new npc's (Neera, dorn etc.) are so out of place, they sound to much from this era, really hate the voice acting (dorn not so much though, but Neera....)
    I knew the graphics were just the same as the original BG only on higher resolutions but i'm so used to great graphics nowadays that it just feels so dated, i cant get into it anymore.
  • Space_hamsterSpace_hamster Member Posts: 950
    edited December 2012
    mjelly said:

Tbh i feel the same way as the OP. I just cannot get into the game, it feels so dated and other than a better UI there is not much else that Tutu can't do. The new npc's (Neera, dorn etc.) are so out of place, they sound to much from this era, really hate the voice acting (dorn not so much though, but Neera....)
    I knew the graphics were just the same as the original BG only on higher resolutions but i'm so used to great graphics nowadays that it just feels so dated, i cant get into it anymore.

That is a very interesting observation. BG was made in a certain time and place. It was made during the twilight of excellent RPGs. It would be like trying to remake Fallout today (the original fallout!), there is no way half the stuff in the original game would make it by the censors!

I said before that BG was lightning in a bottle, perhaps this was right. However, I still want to play it on my ipad. ;)
  • PhælinPhælin Member Posts: 316
    The difference of installing all the tweaks by yourself and having it get done automatically depends on who you are. For me, I'd rather install everything by myself - because of the ability to ignore some tweaks or choose from a variety of options, even. This way I get a great game that I want and like, and not a good game that I simply... get.

So: get what I want > get what they give

Tried the EE, and I'm still standing.
  • mch202mch202 Member Posts: 1,455
    Przemkas said:

The difference of installing all the tweaks by yourself and having it get done automatically depends on who you are. For me, I'd rather install everything by myself - because of the ability to ignore some tweaks or choose from a variety of options, even. This way I get a great game that I want and like, and not a good game that I simply... get.

So: get what I want > get what they give

Tried the EE, and I'm still standing.

Soon enough BG:EE will be compatible with many more mods so you can tweak the game as you like, @marfig is right, the purpose of BG:EE is not to compete with BG1+mods but rather give us a BG version which will run on newer OS and will be more "mod friendly" - so we all can keep playing to game for many more years.

Plus I think that the hype around BG:EE is really reviving the modding community and the interest around the game -which was in decline with each year that pass.

• MedullaOblongataMedullaOblongata Member Posts: 434
    I'm amazed and delighted this thread has stayed calm. OP, it's understandable that you feel differently, and I'm sorry it's not to your liking!
  • SpuzzinSpuzzin Member Posts: 8
    It does appear that the raw, aggressive rants are on the wane. Some people have calmed down, some have moved on and those of us that remain, disappointed though we maybe, are willing to give the overhaul guys the time and space required to fix, correct , patch, improve as required. The recent post by Phillip will go a long way to improving community relations. Many of us (myself included) needed overhaul to accept it wasn't a perfect launch and confirm that the issues will be resolved in a timely manner.
  • veevitoveevito Member Posts: 35
    edited December 2012
    I'm sure i'll be corrected if i'm wrong, but I think that a big part of the original intent was to try to clean it up graphically as well as all of the changes to the UI and incorporating mods, bug fixes etc...

Edit: and then I don't think there would be any argument as to whether it could be called enhanced. Instead you'd have arguments about how they should have left the graphics alone....ha.

But when the art assets didn't turn up, I think alot of the wind was taking out of the sails. But they chose to continue on and all this was known for awhile now.

I don't even know what could have been done with the original assets, but for some reason I get the feeling that that was a huge part of the project and was intended to be a big part of what was to make it enhanced.

Could be wrong, have been before, will be again.

Anyway, I finally got mine to launch and i'm having fun with it.
  • DiscoCatDiscoCat Member Posts: 73
    My only complaint is the crappy monster spawns in EE! Locations like the Gnoll fortress and Xvart village used to be teeming with monsters, now they're boring and empty, even when walking in there with a 4th lvl party.
  • yastruyastru Member Posts: 5
    this.
    honestly, at this point, original with mods is much better gaming experience then e.edition considering bugs and lack of content we took for granted with mods, but our money is better viewed as investment in overall bg series considering that modders will switch to this, that our money will be used for revisiting bg2 and maybe just maybe we could get whole new bg 3 created with much more experience and detail all made possible for simple 20 bucks we gaved them.

in years time, bg:ee will be much better then bg1+mods is now.
  • HeliasHelias Member Posts: 112
    I know I shouldn't expect it, but each time I enter a new area, I hope to find something new there: a new character, a hostile war party, an unknown weapons' cache, new dialogue, easter egg or perhaps a quest. But apart from the buggy adventures of the 3 new npc's, I'm always disappointed.

But I suppose this was never the intention and never anounced as such, so I'm not complaining.
  • KrOKrO Member Posts: 21
    Having a great time playing BG:EE. I have to say I am nervous about news of BG3, not sure I want them to make this or not. Really do not want to see one of my all time favourite games have a bad sequel. Maybe I should have a bit more faith but gaming devs in recent years have giving me reason not too have an abundance of faith in them.
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    I wanted a bg1+tosc+tutu+win 7 compatibility - and that's exactly what I got. I really happy with that, and hopefully they'll make more enhanced editions of infinity games.
  • bem809bem809 Member Posts: 26
    I think the best part about BG:EE is not so much the improvements to the game itself but the fact that it takes Baldur's Gate beyond the desktop and into mobile devices. Not only does it open up this classic to a whole new generation of gamers but now my time is no longer safe even away from my desk.
  • MalbortusMalbortus Member Posts: 106
    I mostly agree with the OP, but there is one more, major addition: the very outset of BG:EE was that Trent Oster asked himself how cool it wouldn't be to play this game on the beach, on a tablet. THAT is what I've been (and still am) waiting for.