Skip to content

Containers (for gems, scrolls, etc.) in BG:EE

Syntia13Syntia13 Member Posts: 514
I'm new to the forum, so I apologize if this particular subject has been discussed before.

In a different thread, regarding inventory, @kamuizin said "Make the special containers quest items so the moment you get them can be controlled. "

I like this idea.

I have found the letter I mentioned in that thread - it is found after defeating Davaeorn in Cloakwood mines. It's from Rieltar, and it reads:

"[...] I have sent Tranzig to work with the mercenaries in transporting the iron to your base in Cloakwood. He has brought several bags of holding so that he, alone, will make trips into Cloakwood, thereby lessening the chance that Flaming Fist trackers might find your stronghold."

When I first played, this letter prompted me to go back to the deceased Tranzig's room and search it from top to bottom. Alas, no bag of holding! :(
But BG:EE could expand on that, and add a quest that would start upon reading the letter. The player would have to find a route that Tranzig used to take from Cloakwood; along the route, we'd find an old camp of Tranzig's. In the camp - an abandoned broken/torn/otherwise unusable bag of holding. Then we'd take it to the High Hedge mage to have it fixed - for a suitable price of course.
It would take time, effort and money to get the functional bag of holding, and it would come quite late in the game - similarly as it was in BG2 (except the effort and money part, of course ;).

As for gem bag, scroll case and potion case, I think one of each should be available almost from the start. I know, I know, but hear me out.
Gem bag is effectively a purse. Gorion gave his ward some gold at the very beginning of the game. Why shouldn't he give him a purse with a jewel or a ring in it? It could add a feeling of emergency, that he has to sell some items in order to equip his 'child'.
Scroll case and potion case - Gorion wanted to run away from Candlekeep, knowing that we'd be hunted. He might not pack a ton of books or a change of robes, but I'm quite sure he'd take every single potion and offensive/defensive scroll he had. And he is an old, experienced man. I don't believe he didn't acquire any containers for such things during his long life. So what I think should happen is, the morning after the ambush when Bahlspawn and Imoen go back to find Gorion's body, they should find a scroll case containing the famous letter from 'E' and a few magic scrolls - charred by a firearrow and unreadable; also a potion bag, containing... a lot of broken glass and half-dry liquid - unidentifiable and likely harmful mix of the potions the case once held.
This way you get the containers without unbalancing the early game with too many resources, while adding a bit of realism to the escape, showing that Gorion prepared himself for it beyond just 'handing you what gold he could spare'.

The ammo belt could be sold by the smith in Beregost, and Nashkel carnival seems like a perfect place to buy yourself a brand new purse... I mean, gem bag; and a vendor selling scrolls should have a scroll case available as well.
That would give us two gem bags, two scroll cases, one potion case, one ammo belt, and one bag of holding available late in the game. I think that would make the life easier for the Bahlspawn w/o running risk of unbalancing the game. (I of course assume that all container have capacity limited to 20 items, 30 at most).

That's my three cents. What do you guys think?

Comments

• DMZDMZ Member Posts: 39
    Currently playing BGT multiplayer, and I have to say, bags don't make the game horribly unbalanced. In a five man party I had three scroll cases and two gem bags. The latter kept getting filled up so we still had some space problems (a problem of luxury, so to say). I think stuff like this should be available from the start, but at very high prices (1000 GP is fair enough for an actual bag of holding) or only late in the game.
  • TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    1000 GP seems really cheap for a bag of holding.
  • SirBuliwyfSirBuliwyf Member Posts: 137
    edited July 2012
    I'm not so keen on a bag of holding too early on but fully support things like a gem pouch, scroll tube/case, ammo pouch etc.. as early as possible as let's face it, they're hardly complex items (in terms of they're made from a few strips of leather, not programmatically)
    Post edited by SirBuliwyf on
  • shout27shout27 Member Posts: 89
    I'd have to say that I like the idea of gorion having some of those containers, but if the contents of the scroll case are destroyed, then I think the case itself should be damaged and say that it's capacity has been damaged as well (limiting it to a 10 scroll case).

All the container's except the bag of holding should be available from any merchant. Those sorts of things would be more widespread than weapons.
  • DMZDMZ Member Posts: 39
    Tanthalas said:

1000 GP seems really cheap for a bag of holding.

Okay, chapter 6 and 25,000 GP ;) With a limit of 10 items.

• shout27shout27 Member Posts: 89
    no.
  • kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
    Container items, except by bag of holding, aren't even magic items, so anyone could craft them. There would not be a good excuse to sell them only in chapter 6 or sell only one of each kind. I'd rather prefer to get them trough quests as a drop (preferably in the main quest), so the game can control the exactly moment you get them and as a drop, justify only one container of each kind would be more viable.

About the Bag of Holding: In fact the main reason ppl want a bag of holding is: we finsh the game with a bunch of no used medium and good items (this is more true in BG2 but happen here too).

In the place of a bag of holding i would prefer that some quests and options become viable to some of the lot we get, instead of just sell them.

It's a iron shortage no? can't some garrison in the game make quests like: find 3 short swords +1, 3 long swords +1, and 20 short/long/two handed normal swords in exange for +2 reputation (and we shoud STOP with the power reputation of temples too)? or a quest like "find me a chain mail +1 and i give you this level 5 mage spell that you probally would not find in game (or only find one time)". Or a thief that ask for a dagger+2 in exchange of thief training in +% of a specific thief skill (courtesy of Planescape this idea).

Just give us options of what to do with the bunch of nice items we find but don't use cos there better on the game, and don't say sell them cos in the end of BG gold become USELESS, there simple no suffice shops worth in the game (i finsh the game normally with 200.000 gold on the pocket if i remember well).
  • DinoDino Member Posts: 291
    Can you buy containers somewhere in BGEE?
  • raelcariraelcari Member Posts: 133
    Seconded. They should be available early, as all they really do is making the game a bit more practical.
    Dino said:

Can you buy containers somewhere in BGEE?

Yes, at High Hedge. Only for potions tho.
  • MortiannaMortianna Member Posts: 1,356
    @Dino @raelcari

I was very surprised there was no scroll case at Sorcerous Sundries and no ammo belt at Taerom's smithy. They're listed in the game's inventory in Shadowkeeper, but I'm on Chapter 5 and still haven't found either of them.
  • CorvinoCorvino Member Posts: 2,269
    Neera comes with a gem bag, but that's the only one ingame as far as I'm aware.
  • CamDawgCamDawg Member, Developer Posts: 3,438
    Add Bags of Holding from BG2 Tweaks adds some:
    This component will add a gem bag to the Friendly Arms Inn store, a scroll case at the High Hedge, an ammo belt to Thunderhammer Smithy, a potion case to the Nashkel General Store, and a bag of holding at the Sorcerous Sundries in Baldur's Gate.
  • LoremasterLoremaster Member Posts: 212
    edited December 2012
    I agree with the OP. Gorion can have a scroll case "containing the famous letter from 'E'" or perhaps a potion case. A potion case is perhaps more useful to fighters and thieves (all classes would benefit though) while a scroll case benefits mages more than others.
  • ThyranisThyranis Member Posts: 21
    Syntia13 said:

I'm new to the forum, so I apologize if this particular subject has been discussed before.

In a different thread, regarding inventory, @kamuizin said "Make the special containers quest items so the moment you get them can be controlled. "

I like this idea.

I have found the letter I mentioned in that thread - it is found after defeating Davaeorn in Cloakwood mines. It's from Rieltar, and it reads:

"[...] I have sent Tranzig to work with the mercenaries in transporting the iron to your base in Cloakwood. He has brought several bags of holding so that he, alone, will make trips into Cloakwood, thereby lessening the chance that Flaming Fist trackers might find your stronghold."

When I first played, this letter prompted me to go back to the deceased Tranzig's room and search it from top to bottom. Alas, no bag of holding! :(
    But BG:EE could expand on that, and add a quest that would start upon reading the letter. The player would have to find a route that Tranzig used to take from Cloakwood; along the route, we'd find an old camp of Tranzig's. In the camp - an abandoned broken/torn/otherwise unusable bag of holding. Then we'd take it to the High Hedge mage to have it fixed - for a suitable price of course.
    It would take time, effort and money to get the functional bag of holding, and it would come quite late in the game - similarly as it was in BG2 (except the effort and money part, of course ;).

As for gem bag, scroll case and potion case, I think one of each should be available almost from the start. I know, I know, but hear me out.
    Gem bag is effectively a purse. Gorion gave his ward some gold at the very beginning of the game. Why shouldn't he give him a purse with a jewel or a ring in it? It could add a feeling of emergency, that he has to sell some items in order to equip his 'child'.
    Scroll case and potion case - Gorion wanted to run away from Candlekeep, knowing that we'd be hunted. He might not pack a ton of books or a change of robes, but I'm quite sure he'd take every single potion and offensive/defensive scroll he had. And he is an old, experienced man. I don't believe he didn't acquire any containers for such things during his long life. So what I think should happen is, the morning after the ambush when Bahlspawn and Imoen go back to find Gorion's body, they should find a scroll case containing the famous letter from 'E' and a few magic scrolls - charred by a firearrow and unreadable; also a potion bag, containing... a lot of broken glass and half-dry liquid - unidentifiable and likely harmful mix of the potions the case once held.
    This way you get the containers without unbalancing the early game with too many resources, while adding a bit of realism to the escape, showing that Gorion prepared himself for it beyond just 'handing you what gold he could spare'.

The ammo belt could be sold by the smith in Beregost, and Nashkel carnival seems like a perfect place to buy yourself a brand new purse... I mean, gem bag; and a vendor selling scrolls should have a scroll case available as well.
    That would give us two gem bags, two scroll cases, one potion case, one ammo belt, and one bag of holding available late in the game. I think that would make the life easier for the Bahlspawn w/o running risk of unbalancing the game. (I of course assume that all container have capacity limited to 20 items, 30 at most).

That's my three cents. What do you guys think?

Agree with everything except the ammo belt, it's called a Quiver and there's already a spoecial inventory space for ammo... and you can hold 80 arrows/bolts/bullets in each square, wich is more than enough imo (in the original BG I think you could only carry 20 per square)

• Syntia13Syntia13 Member Posts: 514
    Thyranis said:

Agree with everything except the ammo belt, it's called a Quiver and there's already a spoecial inventory space for ammo... and you can hold 80 arrows/bolts/bullets in each square, wich is more than enough imo (in the original BG I think you could only carry 20 per square)

Believe me, I know the difference between a stack of arrows, a quiver and an ammo belt. :) (Both in BG and in RL) ;)

stack of arrows - ninth item here: http://mikesrpgcenter.com/bgate/ranged.html
    quiver - second to last item here: http://mikesrpgcenter.com/bgate2/items/magic.html
    ammo belt - third item from the top here: http://mikesrpgcenter.com/bgate2/items/other.html

The reason why I find the ammo belt useful is that while the arrows and other missiles of the same type stack, there are 11 types of arrows, six types of crossbow bolts, three types of sling bullets and four types of darts. Add to that the fact that unidentified magic missiles (items, not the spell) don't stack with identified missiles of the same kind.
    Now imagine a situation where you have 80 normal arrows, 20 flame arrows, 5 darts of stunning, 1 arrow of detonation, 3 arrows of dispelling, 4 lightning bolts, 2 unidentified lightning bolts, 20 bullets+1 and 5 bullets+2, 10 +1 bolts, and 10 darts+1.

So now you have one inventory slot filled with 80 missiles...
    and ten slots filled with other 80 missiles.
    This is where the ammo belt comes in handy, as you can stuff all those excess ammo in it, and store it all in a single inventory slot. Makes your life much easier if you are a packrat like me. :)
  • bloodcarverbloodcarver Member Posts: 24
    For bag of holding - no, no need for it in BG1. It would be nice, it makes sence by the plot at ona point, but lack of it is not a hurt. But purses, potion belts, scroll sacks are so natural and usual stuff they should be pretty much readily avaliable. Dammit if my chara don't need an item slots for his gold, why can't he have gems in his wallet as well? After all a gem is the same size as few coins at best. Non-magical containers should be readily avaliable and cheap. They shouldn't free chara from weight of her possesion, of course, but I can't imagine why in gameplay terms book with 10 different spell scrolls in it should take the same space as 10 different armors :P
  • LindeblomLindeblom Member Posts: 257
    Hmmmmm, good point on old coins.....how can I carry around 200.000 gold coins.....maybe 100 gold should use one item slot........Naah, let's not go down that route ;)
  • bloodcarverbloodcarver Member Posts: 24
    Yep, let's go the opposite route and assume purses are things one simply can have.